Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 03:26 PM

369 posts, read 681,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalcedony View Post
Eventually those problems (i.e. ethnic diversity) will reach to suburbs and the test scores will go down there too.
Ethnic diversity isn't the problem. There are neighborhoods in Fishers where you have European Americans, African Americans, Indian Americans, Muslims, Christians, Jews, etc. all living on the same street. The problem is that of income, and the lower the income the family, the usually attitude that education isn't important...especially if government is there willing to write checks for rent, food, spending money, daycare, etc..

Quote:
Do you just keep moving farther out?
Absolutely. In fact, my opinion is that unless we see some massive changes in this country, any urban center the size of Indy, or maybe even with an MSA of 500K+, will not be a good place to live. There will be too many people with their hands in cookie jar and not enough cookies to go around. People will be taxed so much, the vast majority of the people will be living paycheck to paycheck. My #1 plan is to not only save money and pay-off my home, it is to have enough money in the bank, along with a paid off home, to up and move ASAP to better areas of the country if need be.

As far as the schools, don't worry about them for the most part. Right now, I would avoid IPS, Pike, Warren, and Lawrence. The only reason is because I see more of the lower class moving there. If they were serious about their kids education, then I would say it is a none issue, but many of the parents don't push education, and if they do, the kids are too busy wanting to live the get rich lifestyle, into the gangsta/hip-hop lifestyle, etc.. Now, I know some kids who have recently graduated from these schools, and they do have a lot to offer. However, if I was starting a family, I would rather be in a school district just on the other side of the Marion Co. borders. The reason is because a lot can change in 18 years, but the poor neighborhoods are growing, and more so in Indy than in other areas...which means more schools being affected outside of IPS.

Quote:
This attitude is precisely why the collar townships are experiencing some of the troubles they have. A complete lack of responsibility. "I don't owe anything..." We owe it to the city for originally functioning as a concentration of industries and skill sets that attracted the sort of capital that, in turn, sustains the jobs we have. Even if you are self-employed, you owe it to the city for bringing people together to form a clientele base that supports your enterprise.
Get off your high horse. Can't you see the corruption that is Marion Co./Indianapolis? The amount of insider elites, their select law firms, the select development firms, the school corporations, the private-public partnerships, etc. demanding more, more, and more is why folks are escaping Marion Co./Indy.

I am sick of folks demanding the people who live outside the city to pay more and more and more to benefit a select few. In the past, I would have had no problem paying a little more in taxes to help Marion Co./Indy with their crime problem, but not anymore. The powers that be in Indy decided that the best thing we could do with an MSA area tax was to build a stupid, wastefully built, football stadium for a billionaire. That's right, they are taxing people for conducting business outside of Marion Co., so Marion Co. can have their Taj Mahal football stadium. Well, trust me, that is _all_ Marion Co./Indy is getting. The only reason they got that was the love of the Colts is spread so far in the state, that most people supported that. Well, I didn't, and so now you have my contribution...it went to the fancy moving roof that is rarely used.

Quote:
It will catch up with you in your homogeneous 'burbs, and then what... Obviously you keep moving, right? The city doesn't owe you a job, but with an attitude of abandonment held by so many people, that job could very well leave for a city where the population seeks to address its problems rather than run away from them.
It will come out to the burbs, but it won't ever be as bad as Marion Co. You see, the problem is that of density. Right now, all the thugs and criminals in Marion Co. only have two jails, one court system, one prosecutor's office to worry about. They _flood_ those systems, and capacity has been maxed out for over a decade. The thing is, most of the criminals in Marion Co. find out real quick what justice is really about in the burbs. They come out here and steal stuff, they get a bond. In some of the counties, they don't even get a bond till Monday when the judge sees them. They learn real quick that we won't tolerate their stuff. We did not flush our money away on pork projects so a select few billionaires could get a rent-free, or super cheap, place to run their business.

These people will come, so they will be spread out over eight counties. So now that population isn't going to max out the branches of the criminal justice system so easily. Granted, some counties already have some over crowding, but some of the lower level drug offenders can be dealt with in different ways. We will make sure that burglars, violent criminals get their stay in jail...then prison.

Also, all those jobs leaving will likely flock to smaller cities in areas with fewer issues. I don't care how good Detroit's government addresses their issues, there are no companies looking to locate in their jurisdiction. Too many cradle to the grave welfare types, too much government corruption, etc..

Quote:
Fortunately there are some who are more committed to the city than that. They'll be the ones encouraging economic development by improving quality of life so the escapees can stay fat and happy with their job and big cheap houses in the neighboring countryside.
Only a few will stay. Eventually, even the die hard urban types will leave. Indianapolis is easily on the path towards becoming a Detroit. The downtown core will be OK, but outside of that, watch out. It might never get as bad as Detroit, we can only hope, but I don't see the insiders backing down. They want more, more, and more. Wishard could easily hike property taxes once their new hospital is built. Franklin Township Schools might be hiking property taxes if they get their way. The upcoming special election results will be telling. The unethical, and likely illegal, politicking going on with those two elections is exactly why I stayed out of Marion Co. when buying a home. It is exactly why I will stay out of Marion Co. when I buy my next home.

Quote:
Thanks for helping to articulate the attitude that got so many moderates to vote for Obama in the last election.

Fortunately we have mayors and other civic leaders completely divorced from politics who care about far more than what happens in their cul-de-sac.
It is clear you are living in some blissninnie la la land. People voted for Obama for one reason: They _thought_ he would be different. People, even liberal leaning types, voted for Ballard for one reason: They _thought_ he would be different. What they failed to grasp, and the second part of your message shows you have the same issue, is that these are politicians. The entire political process in the US is corrupt in my opinion. Too many insiders, lobbyist, pay-offs, bribes, etc.. It has been corrupt for over 100 years. There is not one mayor or civil leader that is "completely divorced from politics." Please name me one, just one. They are all insiders, and those like Ballard who aren't, instantly become insiders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 06:33 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
So ... ahem .. Ravekid ... please, what does that have to do with Franklin Twp specifically, as this OP is requesting ...

Old 11-23-2009, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,063 times
I live in Franklin Township and enjoy it there, if for no other reason, we have access to 3 major interstates as well being close to shopping and downtown. Taxes are high, but it's a safe area with nice people. Roads could be improved, but I think that's anywhere in Indiana. I would recommend living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis