Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2009, 06:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,707 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband is getting transferred to Indianapolis and will be working in the downtown business district. It looks like we can live pretty much anywhere and the commute will be the same for him, is that right? Our main priorities are access to some good golf, parks to walk our dogs, not too close to main thoroughfares or shopping areas, good all around quality of life. We've done a fair amount of research on Indianapolis, but a lot of the suburbs don't seem to be too different from each other is that right? Can anyone give us the lowdown on the "flavor" of the different neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 08:19 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,905 times
Although many of the suburbs around Indy seem the same, there are subtle differences. You shouldn't have trouble finding parks and golf, and they all seem to be a similar distance away. The commutes can be very different though according to routes and the amount of traffic. The main differences to me are schools, homes prices and general attitudes.

I live in Avon in Hendricks county, and I am very comfortable here. We just got a dog park, and my pup loves it, my kids are very happy in their schools, and my family has everything we need within a short distance, but it only takes about 25 minutes to get downtown if we want to go.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:14 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
I guess the server issues took my post away. (not really mad, kidding)

To me, they are all pretty close to the same. I am not a golfer and can not really comment on golf courses; but Crooked Stick in Carmel is supposed to be good. The Senior PGA stops there.

I have found that the suburbs of Indy have a lot more in common than differences. I know people play up Hamilton County as being a little more snobby; but I have never found this to be the case. I have found an nearly equal amout of snobs and down to earth people in all the burbs; whether it was Hamilton, Hendricks, or Johnson County. Plainfield and Greenwood have easier commutes downtown by virtue of being on freeways that connect downtown; but none of them have particulary more difficult commutes. I-69 in Fishers get backed up.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:27 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
There are plenty of golf course communities throughout the Indy area as well. For some reason, Hoosiers are golf crazy.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:59 PM
ugg

1 posts, read 2,661 times
Default Welcome to Indiana

Personally, I like the southside suburbs. There are good roads going into downtown Indy and the traffic moves quite nice. Golf courses are abundant and you have many places to walk your dog safely. There are also all types of homes and apartments for rent, lease or own. Indy is like a huge farm town.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:17 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,063,792 times
I used to live on the southside ( Southport Rd area) and would would say yes there is lots of nice golf courses and parks. I wouldnt entirely say that you have many places to walk your dog. Indy IMO was founded fundamentally by the Agriculturalal people but now it is a big government-motor sports town to me.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:19 AM

13 posts, read 50,500 times
The best golf courses are on the northside, but it is the worst commute to downtown and there is no mass transit to speak of, nor any in the offing. I like the Meridian Hills, Williams Creek area which has abundant golf and access to parks.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:43 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,481,166 times
Indy is pretty big. The subdivisions are sold based on price points and you can find low, medium, high price areas on each side of town and to some extent in each larger planned development. I have driven from one very nice high priced brick area and past one stop sign directly into a less expensive housing area and then to the lowest price point one. All within one larger development.

I am consistent in recommending someone with the resources look at Broad Ripple, Meridian Kessler, downtown, Butler Tarkington for housing. Note: only if you work downtown.

I love the older gentrified areas with sidewalks, access to interesting small owner shops, restaurants, walking trails(canal walk), bakeries, access to the suburbs if and when you want, Broad Ripple Park, lots of young people, easy access downtown on various routes. Oh, nice farmers market on Saturdays.

You can golf on any side of town.

What would give you the best quality of life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis