Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2009, 10:13 AM

57 posts, read 236,359 times

Advertisements

There are a couple of apartment/townhouse complexes within close walking distance (two blocks, or so) of Wishard, Riley, and IU as well as the people mover which links to Methodist. I believe they are still called Lockfield Gardens. Typically, they aren't listed in apartment guides.

A bit further, but still close to campus, there is Canal Square and Canal Court. Canal Court is fairly pricey.

If you're looking to buy, I'd like to recommend 40 North on Meridian. These are newly renovated (2006) 1, 2, and 3 bedroom condos with a gym, pool, and secure, underground parking on the edge of Meridian Kessler/Butler Tarkington. You'll be close to both the IUPUI campus and Broad Ripple, as well as the museum of art, a beautiful park and quaint neighborhood shops.

Last edited by escapeartist; 04-17-2009 at 11:24 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 10:52 PM

29 posts, read 105,960 times
Default Postdoc moving to Indianapolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxMarcus View Post
I currently work at Methodist Hosptial as a Pharmacist. I lived downtown for 2 years after graduating in 2006, then bought a house in Broad Ripple in March 2008. Since you are younger and moving to a new city, I would definitely recommend either living downtown or in Broad Ripple. I'm somewhat biased because I dislike suburbs. Even though Broad Ripple is a suburb, it still have a very active urban feel. That is not true of just about any other area in Indy, besides downtown. (FYI, when say west and east, the dividing line is Meridian, the street that leads downtown to the circle.)

If you would like to live downtown, I recommend staying south of 16th st, unless you find a good rental in Fall Creek Place starting around 23rd st east of Meridian and west of College. Its a neighborhood of houses that has been reviitalized in the past 7-8 years. Also with regards to downtown, I would stay east of College Ave (don't go east of the highway, bad news) and don't go further west than the Medical complexes of IU, Wishard, etc. There is a little neighborhood right by IU, etc, just south of 10th st, and north of St. Clair that usually has houses for rent. Some are crappy, but some would be good rental ideas.

Just east of that neighborhood is a large apt complex, Canal Square Apts. [url=http://www.canalsquareapartments.com] They are pretty nice and not too expensive, but not cheap either. They are close to the hospital complex too.

Also downtown, a lot of IUPUI student, etc live in Riley Towers, owned by the same company as Canal Square. [url=http://www.rileytowers.com] They are located in the most desirable area of downtown to live, just north of Mass Ave. They are fairly nice apt's to live in. They are a little older, but as long as your standards are sky high, they might be good for you. They even provide free shuttle all day to IUPUI's campus. As I said, they are very close to Mass Ave, the cultural hub of downtown. Its a great place to live. Lots of restaurants, bars, places to hang out, and even some cool shops. Everything is VERY walkable on Mass Ave. The only grocery store downtown is right on Mass Ave as well. There are sometimes other places to rent in that area too, but they will probably be pricier than Riley Towers. They might be good if you would potentially have roommates though.

There aren't many places to live right in downtown proper, meaning around the large buildings. There are a few places, but they are expensive, and honestly not worth it at all. As for crime, I have never had any problem with crime downtown. Most of it happens east of the the 65 and in near Northside (between Fall Creek and 38th st). I wouldn't let people freak you out about how dangerous Indy has become.

Broad Ripple is also a nice place to live. There are usually tons of houses for rent. Broad Ripple is made up of mostly older homes and bungalows. If you are renting by yourself, if maybe a little harder to find a single bedroom apt compared to downtown, but there are some. For Broad Ripple, I would staying north of 52nd st on the west side of Meridian and west of Keystone. Broad Ripple is nice because just east of College is the Monon Trail that runs north to Carmel and south to Downtown, just off of Mass Ave. Its a paved running/biking trail that runs right through "downtown" Broad Ripple where all of the restaurants and nightlife is. And Broad Ripple has tons of restaurants.

(FYI, The area directly east of Broad Ripple is also a nice neighborhood called Butler-Tarkington. Its a lot of college students from Butler University, but also a ton of really nice houses. There isn't much in that area that would be affordable and not total student housing.)

This is likely the longest post ever, so I'll stop now. Hopefully it was helpful. If you have any other questions, PM me.

I found this VERY helpful. Thank you. One question about your post - You said "I would stay east of College Ave (don't go east of the highway, bad news)" Looking at the map, there are only a couple blocks between College and the highway. Did you mean to stay west of college?

Also, a question: What is the area around Methodist Hospital like? I'll be at Riley Children's hospital, and as I understand it, if I lived near Methodist hospital (which is cheaper than living near Riley's), I could commute on the People Mover. Do you know anything about the People Mover? I'm on a budget here - I'll be making just over $30K as a postdoc (I'm taking over a 50% salary cut and am VERY worried about making that work!). At this point, my top priorities are low rent and a short commute.

I would, (I think??,) ideally like something in the Canal Walk/Upper Canal, Chatham walk/arch, Lockerbie Square, Mass Ave, Ransom place, Renaissance place, or St. Joseph area. Those would be very short commutes. Are the areas nice? Of course, finding something affordable there might be impossible, right?

Thanks for anyone who can help!
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis