Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 09:50 AM

29 posts, read 105,733 times

Advertisements

I'll be doing my postdoctoral training at Riley Children's Hospital in Indianapolis beginning in January. I'll be making just over $34K, which isn't much. My top two concerns are price (I'd like to spend at or under $500 if possible for a studio or one bedroom) and a short commute. I've heard that there is a people mover at Methodist Hospital that would drop me off at IUPUI. And, it seems that the area near Methodist hospital is cheaper to live in than near IUPUI (the Canal apartments and so forth). Does anyone know whether the People Mover can be used for a commute of this type? And, are the apartments near Methodist cheaper because they aren't downtown, or because the area isn't very safe/nice?

Ideally, I'd prefer to live in Canal Walk/Upper Canal, Chatham walk/arch, Lockerbie Square, Mass Ave, Ransom place, Renaissance place, or St. Joseph area, but it seems those are unaffordable. On the off chance that I do find something there that is affordable, are these areas as nice as I think they are from my internet searching? I'd love to be more downtown as I live in Los Angeles at the moment and I like to be in the middle of things!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 09:51 AM

I should have added that I'm in my late 20s and single.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:35 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
Yes, the areas mentioned are as nice as you think. There are a few parts,older unrenovated or older apartment buildings with issues but for the most part, location equals higher rent.

For that amount of money, you are going to have to be careful and may have to live in an older building on the fringe. You might give up AC or pay a lot for it, have issues with elevators, parking or security.

There are buildings on Pennsylvania and Delaware to consider but you would have to check each of them out. I am not a realtor or apartment manager and dont have any list, but you can walk/drive down each and collect phone numbers.

There is another post with the names of three buildings they are checking out in these areas. Maybe you two can communicate.

Consider a roommate situation. You can spend almost double then.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:19 AM

Thanks, Sweetana!

On another post, someone said that " I found that west of Central the closer I got to Meridian the sketchier the vibe became." I think she was referring to the area south of 16th and north of the 65. I had originally marked 7 apartments on Pennsylvania and Delaware there (Traymore Place, Whitaker, Marleigh, Harrison, Sherwood, Van Dyke, and Rotherwood), but now I'm wondering if maybe those aren't aren't as safe. Do you have any feel for whether those are or aren't good places to live?

I'm not scared of older, unrennovated buildings - more concerned about issues with elevators and security!

Old 06-28-2009, 09:49 AM

369 posts, read 681,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLPdocSTU View Post
I'll be doing my postdoctoral training at Riley Children's Hospital in Indianapolis beginning in January. I'll be making just over $34K, which isn't much. My top two concerns are price (I'd like to spend at or under $500 if possible for a studio or one bedroom) and a short commute. I've heard that there is a people mover at Methodist Hospital that would drop me off at IUPUI. And, it seems that the area near Methodist hospital is cheaper to live in than near IUPUI (the Canal apartments and so forth). Does anyone know whether the People Mover can be used for a commute of this type? And, are the apartments near Methodist cheaper because they aren't downtown, or because the area isn't very safe/nice?
You are not going to get anything decent at all in Center Township, near the downtown core, for under $500. You will be making $34K/year, which should be plenty to cover a $650/month apartment in Lockefield (sometimes spelled Lockfield) Garden Apartments. You will be walking to work (two blocks west) so your gas/car maintenance will be next to nothing. The areas near 16th and Senate are so-so, most of them are not that great. There are a few decent complexes on N. Meridian, but I have only ever stepped foot in one of them.

Don't rely on the Clarian Health monorail. It can't run in very cold weather, so in the winter you would be driving anyway. Not only that, if it breaks down, it can be down for a while.

Trust me, Lockfield is your best bet. Yes, it is a little more than you want to spend, but I think it would work out best for you. Another option might be Park Place and Candlewood Suites. These two towers are just north of 10th St., maybe 1 mile NW of Riley. Candlewood Suites is owned by the same company that owns Holiday Inn. They purchased the towers a couple of years ago and remodeled the inside and outside, they are pretty nice given the age of the buildings. IUPUI student housing actually has some over flow housing in the complex (well, they did) and there was a campus shuttle that ran regularly back and forth from campus to the complex (while school was in session and when the campus housing students lived there. They don't live there in the summer). Even if the shuttle service stops, the walk isn't that bad at all. You walk down to 10th st (1.5 blocks, if that), walk about six blocks to the east along 10th St., and then one block south puts you are the Riley ER doors.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:07 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
ps, the walk is safe. May be a little dicey with snow but still doable for a young person. I did 5 blocks downtown for years and never ever had an issue.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:56 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Off topic a bit, but I'm recently having to frequent Riley ... going up again this Wednesday. You being able to do any work with this wonderful facility is such a privilege. I hope you enjoy your position there.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravekid View Post
You are not going to get anything decent at all in Center Township, near the downtown core, for under $500. You will be making $34K/year, which should be plenty to cover a $650/month apartment in Lockefield (sometimes spelled Lockfield) Garden Apartments. You will be walking to work (two blocks west) so your gas/car maintenance will be next to nothing. The areas near 16th and Senate are so-so, most of them are not that great. There are a few decent complexes on N. Meridian, but I have only ever stepped foot in one of them.

Don't rely on the Clarian Health monorail. It can't run in very cold weather, so in the winter you would be driving anyway. Not only that, if it breaks down, it can be down for a while.

Trust me, Lockfield is your best bet. Yes, it is a little more than you want to spend, but I think it would work out best for you. Another option might be Park Place and Candlewood Suites. These two towers are just north of 10th St., maybe 1 mile NW of Riley. Candlewood Suites is owned by the same company that owns Holiday Inn. They purchased the towers a couple of years ago and remodeled the inside and outside, they are pretty nice given the age of the buildings. IUPUI student housing actually has some over flow housing in the complex (well, they did) and there was a campus shuttle that ran regularly back and forth from campus to the complex (while school was in session and when the campus housing students lived there. They don't live there in the summer). Even if the shuttle service stops, the walk isn't that bad at all. You walk down to 10th st (1.5 blocks, if that), walk about six blocks to the east along 10th St., and then one block south puts you are the Riley ER doors.
Thanks, Ravekid! The information about the monorail is especially helpful.

I looked up Lockfield and was initially a bit scared by the terrible reviews (Lockefield Gardens Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Indianapolis apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com), but I do understand that most people only post when they have something bad to say.

It looks like Park Place and Candlewood are also hotels, correct? That's interesting! I can't find much info on-line, but I'll try giving them a call on Monday.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:38 PM

2 posts, read 14,965 times
I will be working at Methodist Hospital located at 1701 Senate Blvd. I will be interested to buy/rent a town house or condo one or two bedrooms within walking distance to the hospital. I would appreciate if someone give me some idea of the rental cost or the price of such properties. My email address is as below:
[email]canadaelectric@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 12-22-2010, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 14,965 times
Default hazoor

I will be working at Methodist Hospital located at 1701 Senate Blvd. Miniapolis, Indiana. I intend to rent or buy a one or two bedroom condo or townhouse within the waliking distance to the hospital. I am interested to know the approximate rent or the price of such properties. It would be greatly appreciated if I could be given the information requested above.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis