Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 12:51 PM

3 posts, read 11,710 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating from Chicago to Indy, and will be working in the Castleton area. I've heard this area is somewhat "sketchy" to live in? Some have told me the Keystone or Fishers area is nice. I will need a 6 mo. lease on an apt. while I look for a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 12:56 PM

8,985 posts, read 17,308,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA312 View Post
I'm relocating from Chicago to Indy, and will be working in the Castleton area. I've heard this area is somewhat "sketchy" to live in
Were you told that by someone that has never been to Indianapolis? Anyone who calls Castleton sketchy does not know what they are talking about, unless by sketchy they mean there are too many chain restaurants and middle to upper class people loitering at Starbucks.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:16 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,543,968 times
There are probably a few lower-end apartment complexes in the Castleton area that draw a rougher crowd, but Castleton is a very safe area.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:21 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,487,508 times
Skandia and River something have big leasing signs out front along Allisonville. There are several apartment complexes around Castleton and they look reasonable to me. Some are older but maintained.

From there to Fishers there are newer developments. I would take whoever gives the best deal and where they give a 6 month lease and not worry about it. You would be minutes to work in any of these. There are back roads into Castleton along I69 in case it is backed up.

Oh, and check the traffic pattern in and out if on Allisonville to make sure it is easy to get in and out of during rush hours. A light would be best.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:56 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,157,433 times
Sweetana
I think you were thinking of Riverbend Apartments along Allisonville Rd. in Castleton. For a long stretch it was owned by Amli (sp?). It is under new ownership now and called Core Riverbend, I believe. It is one huge complex with approximately 1,000 apartment units. Some like it there and others are happy to leave.

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 07-27-2009 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: correct

Old 07-27-2009, 07:50 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,071,118 times
I'm quite sure it's Core Riverbend.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:46 AM

891 posts, read 2,452,020 times
Scott, it all depends on how picky you are. Me, I would not live in any of the apartment complexes located in and around Castleton. I would either go to the Keystone area - look at River Ridge at Keystone River Ridge at Keystone Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Indianapolis apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

Or River Crossing at Keystone River Crossing at Keystone Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Indianapolis apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

Do not under any circumstance even think River Road Court - even though it is within a couple of minutes of the other two I have listed t is really really bad.

The Castleton area overall is pretty nice, although not as nice as it used to be, but remember apartments are always the first things to "go bad" before the rest of the neighborhood does. Also remember another thing about this area, in apartments you get what you pay for, if they are having a big move in special, I would be leery.

You have to decide what is important to you. If you are find with an older apt with a few more sketchy people living there, then save your money for your house - no problem with that.

For the record I have lived most of my life in and around the castleton area (live in carmel now) and yes I would tell people from out of town that the Castleton area is a little sketchy to live in especially the apartments. Obviously it is 42nd and Post

Old 07-28-2009, 06:21 AM

8,985 posts, read 17,308,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BU191433 View Post
yes I would tell people from out of town that the Castleton area is a little sketchy to live in especially the apartments.
I am going to have to take umbridge with that. I have buddies that live in apartments in Castleton, and too say Castleton is anything close to sketchy needlessly puts fear into the minds of people. You can find people who are not affluent and wear baggy pants in Hamilton County as well.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:04 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,750,808 times
Castelton ... sketchy??? I don't think so! It probably gets that reputation because of the mall, but still. My cousin has lived in both Castle Creek and Riverbend apts (to save up for a house ... which she is closing on in a few days ... bought a house in Castleton too!).

The other 2 areas are nice too ...

Old 07-28-2009, 08:36 AM

891 posts, read 2,452,020 times
OK, let me say this - the apartments in the Castleton area IMO the ones I have seen and been inside of are not very nice. That is my opinion - but then I'm very picky - several apartment complexes in Hamilton county I would have nothing to do with either - so I am picky.

When I looked for an apartment two years ago, I looked at several apatments, probably 8 or 9, but most were trash IMO except for the two I mentioned in Keystone and 3 in Carmel.

Providence at Old Meridian
Old Towne on the Monon
The Retreat
River Crossing at Keystone
River Ridge at Keystone

But those are expensive near $1,000 for a 1 bedroom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis