Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2009, 11:59 AM

13 posts, read 27,859 times

Advertisements

In my case I want to know if its hard to find a minimum wage job around indy? Will it get better in the coming months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 03:24 PM

53 posts, read 215,130 times
Default Indiana job market

If you are looking to relocate to Indiana from another city. I would think twice about it. The unemployment rate is 9.6% (http://www.in.gov/portal/news_events/43415.htm), one of the higher rates in the nation. Due to the high unemployment, older adults are now taking the minimum wage jobs to survive.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:28 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,561,035 times
Unfortunately minimum wage jobs are the norm in the Hoosier State. What Indiana needs is jobs in future economic sectors: high-tech manufacturing, research and development, the life sciences, etc. These are jobs that require an education, creativity and skill. Indiana's unemployment rate is not as bad as what people will suggest. It basically mirrors the national average and is LOWER than its neighbors, especially Michigan. Indiana's economy will turn around when the country does.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:00 AM

245 posts, read 683,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving7 View Post
In my case I want to know if its hard to find a minimum wage job around indy? Will it get better in the coming months?
The Indianapolis area is a big place, so it depends what you're looking for and where in the city you want to live. Is it possible for you to do any better than minimum wage? What are you qualified for?

Indy is one of the most affordable big cities in America, but even so I doubt you'd be able to support yourself on a minimum wage job. Do a little more research on cost of living before you bite off more than you can chew. You're probably looking at $1000/month minimum expenses if you factor in rent, utilities, and car fuel and insurance, and that assumes you own a car outright, have no credit cards, and don't spend any money on extras like cable TV or dining out. Also, the apartment you'd be renting for $500 or $600 would be not great.

Now then...Indianapolis does have a pretty high unemployment rate on paper, but there is a fairly large manufacturing base here and that has taken a hit. In reality, metro Indy's economy is fairly strong compared to other cities and certainly is the bright spot in an otherwise miserable economy in the state of Indiana.

I suggest you visit, if you can, and look around. There are certainly businesses hiring in Indianapolis, but you'll be competing with lots of other applicants so be prepared. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
View detailed profiles of: