Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2007, 06:14 AM

5 posts, read 20,583 times

Advertisements

Greetings. I read another thread about finding teaching jobs in Indiana. Can anyone speak more specifically about the districts in the Indianapolis area? I kind of get the impression that IPS is one to stay away from. Can anyone recommend a good district to work for? I am also a bilingual teacher, so I hope to find one with a large hispanic population. Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 06:45 AM

667 posts, read 2,888,672 times
Perry township is on the Southside. While it is struggling with the 'No Child Left Behind' the students themselves don't seem as bad as IPS. Also, there is a growing hispanic population from what I can see in my son's 2nd grade class.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:50 PM

100 posts, read 237,052 times
Pike Township has a decent Hispanic population too.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:59 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,813,613 times
My ex is a teacher at an IPS school and you should stay the hell away from IPS. One of my friends is a teacher in Perry Twp and they have a good school system and pay better than IPS...so check them out. Any of the twp's are better than IPS

Old 06-27-2007, 10:40 PM

5 posts, read 16,097 times
I used to attend school at IUPUI and my bilingual education teacher also taught in Pike Township and she really loved it. She is currently as ESL teacher there has had nothing but good things to say about that district.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:14 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
There is a spanish immersion magnet in Lawrence Twp. As for IPS, well, I wouldn't completely discount it. You may get lucky and find a school that you like. I know I've bashed IPS on here in the past, but if a good teacher is willing to take a chance, it will only make the system better. I'm not sure what the impression of Dr. White among the parents and students in IPS, but he seems to be wanting to make some big changes. There are also charter and private schools throughout the area as well.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:46 AM

79 posts, read 461,769 times
It's unfortunate that there aren't more good teachers will to take a chance on IPS. It's a great opportunity to make a difference. If more good/responsible people would send their children to IPS and teach there then the people could turn it around. Unfortunately this will probably never happen. With that said, not all IPS schools are awful.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:04 AM

990 posts, read 1,726,284 times
Smile Ips teachers

I work at an IPS spanish immersion magnet school-needless to say we have a large latino population. Our students have to apply to be enrolled in our school therefore our students for the most part are pretty good kids --we are not a boundry school. The name of the school is Theodore Potter #74. In general most magnet schools would be your best bet because they have to apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
View detailed profiles of: