Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 11:00 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You quoted a line from me and then did not address it. Why do you stalk other posters and attack them personally, instead of addressing the issues they reference in their posts?

Is it true that DHS can, with no due process, shut down internet sites? What limits their power to shut down internet sites without due process? As a citizen of the USA, have you advised and consented to that power? As a citizen, do you approve of such power being applied to issues that are not, directly or indirectly, related to national security? In these perilous times, do you sleep safe, knowing that the resources of DHS are being utilized to neutralize such threats as pirate DVDs in middle-school lockers?

When your only objective is to stalk a few other posters all over the forum, none of the other users have any idea what you are talking about. Your intent to trash every thread with your peripatetic personal attacks is not welcomed.
I am sorry for not posting the thread of your China comments, here 'tis:
//www.city-data.com/forum/scien...p-gun-air.html

It's just that you came across as such a foreign legal expert in that thread and yet you fail to mention in the OP all the sites shut down were foreign sites.

Obviously you didn't bother to go to the DHS URL I posted dealing with laws and regulations did you? Noooo, you are the only one here who has intelligence and can't be bothered dealing with facts.... Is that how they are in Texas? anybody can say anything and nobody can say a word in reply???

As far as stalking you, are you the only one who is allowed to read and comment on threads here?

You posted in the Internet forum which I read quite regularly, saw your misleading post and commented on it.

If you would read post #8 again without the anti-American glasses on you will see I addressed the legal issue of the site shutdowns.

You constantly move the subject of your posts, for example, what does this have to do with DHS shutting down copyright breaking foreign web sites?
Your OP: Homeland Security shutting sports sites

Quote:
In these perilous times, do you sleep safe, knowing that the resources of DHS are being utilized to neutralize such threats as pirate DVDs in middle-school lockers?
Just like a typical liberal, keep changing the topic and maybe no-one will notice the BS they originally sprouted.

Last edited by plwhit; 02-02-2011 at 11:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 11:30 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
DHS, oh what a keystone cops operation that is! They were formed to make the citizens of this country safe yet their efficiency seems to come from shutting down web sites that host illegal copyrighted material!

Wow, I feel safer already. A vital department that is laughably inefficient in their primary role yet they were given abundant unconstitutional power.
This country has gone and still is going down. Deny all you want, terrorist won.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:57 AM

I posted this information in post #8 in this thread:

Cybersecurity does fall under the purview of Homeland Security. DHS | Cybersecurity Laws & Regulations

If you were to take the time to read their laws and regulations you will find they were quite within their scope of operation.

What unconstitutional power have they usurped?

The following is from: Feds seize sports websites before Super Bowl - Jennifer Martinez - POLITICO.com

Quote:
The U. S. Attorney’s Office of the Southern District of New York, working in conjunction with Immigration and Customs Enforcement, seized the Web addresses Tuesday. The seizure affidavit was unsealed Wednesday.
The websites, which include channelsurfing.net and Spain-based rojadirecta.org, were said to illegally provide access to content from the major professional sports organizations, namely the National Football League, National Basketball Association and the National Hockey League.

The sites do not host the pirated sporting content themselves, but instead provide links to other websites where people can access it illegally.

Government officials argue that the sites are not only distributing pirated content illegally, but in the process, are also denting the revenues of the professional sports leagues and broadcasters as well as negatively impacting viewers.

“The illegal streaming of professional sporting events over the Internet deals a financial body blow to the leagues and broadcasters, who are forced to pass their losses off to fans by raising prices for tickets and pay-per-view events,” said Preet Bharara, U.S. Attorney in Manhattan. “With the Super Bowl just days away, the seizures of these infringing websites reaffirm our commitment to working with our law enforcement partners to protect copyrighted material and put the people who steal it out of business.”

Morton repeated that message during Wednesday’s operation.
“This swift action by our Homeland Security Investigations New York special agents and analysts sends a clear message to website operators who mistakenly believe it’s worth the risk to take copyrighted programming and portray it as their own,” Morton said. “We will continue to aggressively investigate this type of crime with our law enforcement partners.”
Say what you want but the plain and simple truth concerning these web sites is they were aiding and abetting the streaming of copyrighted protected sports videos into America and as per American law that is illegal.

Does it make a hill of beans if it were ICE or DHS that forced the shutdowns? Illegal foreign enterprises were stopped.

Why do some people here try and play down an achievement America makes and then try and turn it into a totally different subject, anti-American of course.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:38 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Then it seems to me the logical thing would be for an injured party to sue the site and get a proper court order to shut it down. That would have been the procedure required until the Federal government started using Homeland Security as an excuse to circumvent laws that were enacted to benefit our freedom as Americans. I would be the first one to argue that the sponsor of the sporting event should be entitled to copyright over their transmission and that no one should be permitted to pirate that broadcast. However, the DHS still doesn't have the right to prosecute these offenses without giving the offender due process.
The copyright owner doesn't have to get a court order, they can issue a DMCA take down notice. This is powerful tool for anyone, you yourself could in fact get a site taken offline by using this method however if you're wrong be prepared for being sued yourself.

The issue as I said above is these sites were most likely hosted outside of the US where a take down notice does not apply. There really isn't much you can do as the copyright owner if the server is an unfriendly country hence the reason for the intervention of the US government.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:23 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Homeland Security Tries And Fails To Explain Why Seized Domains Are Different From Google | Techdirt

Quote:
In the interview, John Moe asked Agent Hayes a very simple question: given that these domains were all seized based solely on the fact that they link to infringing content hosted elsewhere, and all of the same content is also linked from Google, will the Feds seize Google's domain name (http://www.publicradio.org/columns/marketplace/tech-report/2011/02/could-the-feds-take-down-google-for-linking-to-illegal-material.html - broken link)? <snip>
Hayes says "no" that ICE will not seize Google's domain name and that's because it's only targeting sites that "don't do due diligence" to make sure that the content they're linking to isn't infringing.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:17 AM

And the keywords are "due diligence", Google has a mechanism for reporting infringing material if you want to get it removed from their search results.

Report copyright infringement : Remove information from Google - Web Search Help

I'm going to guess these domains that were confiscated don't have such mechanism and were already served with DMCA notices themselves.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:53 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
I think I have found the explanation. The government exists only to protect big business. Read: Really, really big business. The DHS seizure came just in the nick of time to save the Super Bowl audience revenues. When the REAL money wants protection, then the heavy artillery is brought in.

Popular video streaming websites seized, Super Bowl XLV streams in jeopardy - Yahoo! Sports

I predict that, after the Super Bowl, ATDHE will be back up and running full speed ahead in some offshore haven, and nobody in the federal government will pay a bit of attention.

DHS had figured out a way to block atdhe.me from their Montenegro source, but a few minutes ago I checked, and they are back up.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-05-2011 at 12:02 PM..

Old 02-05-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
The government exists only to protect big business. .
May I ask why you would be complaining about the US government preventing a US company who employs US citizens from losing money to some overseas company that is basically stealing their content?

When you're talking millions of dollars in lost revenue, yes the US government is going to take notice because it takes money out the hands on the owners, the employees and the government itself because of lost taxes...

Old 02-05-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
I think I have found the explanation. The government exists only to protect big business.
Good, you found the explanation, care to share concrete facts with all of us so we don't think you're on another anti-American crusade?

Old 02-05-2011, 11:04 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
May I ask why you would be complaining about the US government preventing a US company who employs US citizens from losing money to some overseas company that is basically stealing their content?

When you're talking millions of dollars in lost revenue, yes the US government is going to take notice because it takes money out the hands on the owners, the employees and the government itself because of lost taxes...
So, you recognize that it is not intellectual property at all that is the contentious point, nor even right or wrong, nor just or unjust, nor legal or illegal, but the magnitude of the potential loss of speculative investments by the corporations. Intellectual property violations (and all other laws and rights) are to be winked at, until the big corporations need the clout of the government to guarantee their profits. The DHS is the only department that can wield its power without due process. And you favor the expansion of that power wherever there are fabulously wealthy at risk.

In other words, if enough money is at stake, that takes priority over the constitution, and it is to be addressed by an agency that is above due process and immune to its constitutional restraints. And the profits are to be deemed "national security" issues. And the entire worldwide web could justifiably be shut down, if the profits of large American corporations cannot endure against a few users abusing the power of the internet, and chipping a tiny corner off the profit margin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet