Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2011, 02:10 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,526,608 times

Advertisements

Any one having major problems with their Google / Gmail / You Tube Account.
I've had this account for 4-5 years Google / You Tube. About 5-6 weeks ago it got all messed up..some how My Google got merged either by me or a alien into You Tube and it has been a nightmare getting it all straighten out..
Got the Google straighten out ... then it reverts back too 2003-2004 account name... My You Tube I have I'm totally locked out.. Turn off Google go in and try too reset pass word.. every pass word that I get confirmation on does not work.. which is the same problem with Google get a new password...go too use it will not work around and around for hours today..
Just dumped everything... for the time being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 10:57 AM

1,828 posts, read 5,314,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Any one having major problems with their Google / Gmail / You Tube Account.
I've had this account for 4-5 years Google / You Tube. About 5-6 weeks ago it got all messed up..some how My Google got merged either by me or a alien into You Tube and it has been a nightmare getting it all straighten out..
Got the Google straighten out ... then it reverts back too 2003-2004 account name... My You Tube I have I'm totally locked out.. Turn off Google go in and try too reset pass word.. every pass word that I get confirmation on does not work.. which is the same problem with Google get a new password...go too use it will not work around and around for hours today..
Just dumped everything... for the time being.
You merged your Google account with your You Tube account? One is email and the other is a video posting site, they don't really overlap.

To answer your questions, No. I have a You Tube account, a Gmail account and a "Google account" (same thing as Gmail). No problems, my logins work. My videos aren't going to email and my emails aren't going to video.

Did you simply forget your passwords?

Old 03-06-2011, 12:50 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,526,608 times
More complex than that.. I had a Google with Gmail. Never used the Gmail did not like the format. Worked great for 5 years..some where with in the last 6-8 weeks every time i would go into my You Tube account I would be blasted by merging my Google with You Tube..or You Tube with Google link the two together.. I would say "NO" and some where they got linked together..this started the mess.. I would log into Google when I lost power or switched between computers.. When I went too use You Tube I would enter my password.. would not work.. So I changed the pass word. Not knowing it also changed the Google password..
I got that straighten out.. I just did not log into You Tube any more. I was not posting any clips.
Then some where in time 3-5 weeks ago I lost my computer got a new Lap Top. Go in Google password.. password does not work..??? and have been going round and round with resetting password.. Finally got the pass word too work..Every time I would get confirmation on the pass word...the pass word i just generated 2 minutes before did not work??
Finally the pass word worked....... flash back too 2004 when I had a Google account.. with different user name.. I have no idea where that came from..I just gave up...

Old 03-07-2011, 06:46 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,959,181 times
Everytime I login to Youtube, it asks me to merge my Youtube account with my Gmail account. I use to be able to click "No thanks", but I noticed that button disappeared this week and they are forcing me to merge the accounts if I want to login to post comments or "Favorite" something on Youtube.
I am about to stop using Youtube because of that reason. I don't want every website I use linked together. I recently deleted my Amazon account because my product reviews were showing up when I "Googled" my name. Its all getting a bit ridiculous. I tried changing my name to something fake on Amazon but that didn't work. Why would I want people to be able to search my name and see products I purchased?

Last edited by Geneyus; 03-07-2011 at 07:04 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 03-10-2011, 06:32 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
OK here is my story. I've had a YouTube account for over five years. On Monday, I got the dreaded ultimatum from Google to log out of my YouTube account permanently, or link it to a Google account. Unfortunately my YouTube account is important to me, so telling Google to FO was not an option. First thing I tried was to create a Google account to link it to. But they wanted my cell phone number to receive a text message from Google. First problem, my cell phone is down, because I haven't paid the bill. Second problem, no way in hell am I going to give those evil bastards my cell phone number anyway.

Then I remembered that I have a ten year Google account, that I haven't used in years. So I tried linking it to that, and it worked. No problems. The next message I got was that my e-mail address didn't match, and I should update it. Yeah, thats because I haven't used that e-mail address for ten years. Anyway I went ahead and did that, because I don't really care about it. The address is just for online use anyway.

So all they managed to do is get me to link an old account that I don't even use anymore to a new one. At least I didn't have to give them my phone number. My fear now is that eventually I'll get another messaged, telling me that I need to link my Google account to a phone number, or log out forever.

And yes I agree with others here that liked accounts are evil. People should be concerned about it. Liked accounts are the end of privacy on the internet. That is just sad, because people wont be free to express themselves anonymously the way they have since the beginning of the internet. To say nothing about it being dangerous. I seeing it being increasingly easy to match people's online identities to the real person. It's just a matter of time before someone gets killed. Because of Google's greed in wanting to have and control all the information in the world.

There is nothing we can do to stop it. All you can do is try to minimize the info they get.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:52 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Everytime I login to Youtube, it asks me to merge my Youtube account with my Gmail account. I use to be able to click "No thanks", but I noticed that button disappeared this week and they are forcing me to merge the accounts if I want to login to post comments or "Favorite" something on Youtube.
I am about to stop using Youtube because of that reason. I don't want every website I use linked together. I recently deleted my Amazon account because my product reviews were showing up when I "Googled" my name. Its all getting a bit ridiculous. I tried changing my name to something fake on Amazon but that didn't work. Why would I want people to be able to search my name and see products I purchased?
Unfortunately once the cat is out of the bag, its pretty hard to get it back in. When I Google my name, the last thing relevant to me that comes up, is something I posted on a web page in 1997. The page no longer exists, but there is still a Google cache of it. Google will have that bit of info forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet