Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 12:43 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,973 times

Advertisements

Why should they care about your security? If you want security, don't use the service. Don't put every stupid drunk picture you own on facebook. Don't post intimate details about yourself or your friends. Don't feel as though you deserve some sort of compensation or reconciliation because one of their policies that you agreed to is being put to use.

Remember when you had to agree to their terms? It explicitly says that any information that you post or upload to facebook becomes their property.

I'm not saying don't use it (I do, every day, multiple times a day), I'm just saying get real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 03:21 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I don't like saying this but look around, people don't care about their privacy anymore.

What's the figures? 175 million people a day use FB?
Your momma also probably asked you at some point in your life, "if all you friends jumped off a cliff, would you?"

Sad that 175 million people have to look for a life on a site where no one gives a damn about others, they are just trying to impress others that don't give a damn about them. What a flipping waste of time and effort, but the predators, pedophiles, perverts and identity thieves love it.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:42 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Maybe the current generations don't put as much importance on their privacy as other generations do....

My momma said grow up and stop being old fashioned and give up on lost causes

Old 06-15-2011, 08:22 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
First off it's WAY more then 175 Million. There are almost 200 Million in the US alone. Out of a population of 350 Million that's more then half of the US.
I think the total worldwide is close to 500 Million last I heard.

I am not a huge fan of Facebook. I can't believe the amount of time that some people spend on it. I've even had 2 people tell me recently "Oh, I didn't get your email. I don't really use it anymore. Send me a message on FB!".
That, to me, is actually a bit scary. Email is being replaced.... by FB???!!?? (by a few anyway).
HOWEVER, this paranoid mentatlity that "OMG DO I LOOK STUPID I DON'T USE FB" is simply ridiculous. This idea that if I sign up for it "OMG I LOSE ALL PRIVACY AND FB KNOWS EVERYTH(ING ABOUT ME". Someone needs to stand up for FB. Might as well be me. There is a lot of good in FB. You folks DO know you can choose to share ONLY THE INFORMATION THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE, right? Oh, of course you don't because you never signed up for it.
You don't even have to be honest. You know that, right? Hell Facebook thinks I am 21! Kidding... FB doesn't know how old I am because I only entered a month and date for my Bday. In fact, all Facebook really knows about me is my birthday, I live in Cleveland, am Married and have a kid.

You don't HAVE to share every drunken picture of yourself. Just because many (and I do mean many) do, doesn't mean FB IS THE DEVIL!
That's true about so many things in life: a few people ruin it for everyone.

Just one example of good things that FB can do: A very very dear friend of mine that moved to Cali 20 years ago found me on Facebook. Something that 100% would never have happened without it.

Come on... with 200 Million FB users in the US I can't be the only one that's is willing to do this oh-so unpopular thing: sticking up for FB?!?!?!

I do agree that this facial recognition thing is beyond lame. Not because "it's an invasion of my privacy"... just because it's a lame idea. Do you guys even know what "tagging" is, which is what this facial recognition thing would be used for. Lame, yes. and you can turn it off.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:57 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
People ask me if I have a Facebook account all the time. My response? "Do I look stupid?" And roll my eyes.
Yep, I never saw the reason for such, having a profile up constantly for people to look through.

If it is for a job, it is easy to simply use a private web page with secure login to which you provide to employers on your application with relevant additional content information they may wish to browse and for a temporary basis as needed.

Past that. I don't keep anything online.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:27 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
First off it's WAY more then 175 Million. There are almost 200 Million in the US alone. Out of a population of 350 Million that's more then half of the US.
I think the total worldwide is close to 500 Million last I heard.

I am not a huge fan of Facebook. I can't believe the amount of time that some people spend on it. I've even had 2 people tell me recently "Oh, I didn't get your email. I don't really use it anymore. Send me a message on FB!".
That, to me, is actually a bit scary. Email is being replaced.... by FB???!!?? (by a few anyway).
HOWEVER, this paranoid mentatlity that "OMG DO I LOOK STUPID I DON'T USE FB" is simply ridiculous. This idea that if I sign up for it "OMG I LOSE ALL PRIVACY AND FB KNOWS EVERYTH(ING ABOUT ME". Someone needs to stand up for FB. Might as well be me. There is a lot of good in FB. You folks DO know you can choose to share ONLY THE INFORMATION THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE, right? Oh, of course you don't because you never signed up for it.
You don't even have to be honest. You know that, right? Hell Facebook thinks I am 21! Kidding... FB doesn't know how old I am because I only entered a month and date for my Bday. In fact, all Facebook really knows about me is my birthday, I live in Cleveland, am Married and have a kid.

You don't HAVE to share every drunken picture of yourself. Just because many (and I do mean many) do, doesn't mean FB IS THE DEVIL!
That's true about so many things in life: a few people ruin it for everyone.

Just one example of good things that FB can do: A very very dear friend of mine that moved to Cali 20 years ago found me on Facebook. Something that 100% would never have happened without it.

Come on... with 200 Million FB users in the US I can't be the only one that's is willing to do this oh-so unpopular thing: sticking up for FB?!?!?!

I do agree that this facial recognition thing is beyond lame. Not because "it's an invasion of my privacy"... just because it's a lame idea. Do you guys even know what "tagging" is, which is what this facial recognition thing would be used for. Lame, yes. and you can turn it off.
Well said. I'm on facebook nearly all day, I have groups that I chat with, people to talk to, things to catch up on, news that is fed through via Engadget, Gizmodo, TechCrunch, etc.... Some may find that excessive, but I'm also on these forums and several other forums all day as well. And before anyone jumps my case, "all day" means checking my phone app, or CTRL+tabbing over to my facebook chat tab.

Why is using a site more frequently than others a bad thing? I don't watch TV because I get the info I want and need via the Internet, through sites like this one and others. I know some people who get home from work, watch TV for 6 hours and go to sleep. Why is that any better than interacting with other people in a convenient, organized and cataloged way that also happens to be in real-time?

I'm a huge, huge fan of forums and other social outlets like Facebook. I'm well informed, and I get that way in an efficient manner. I have new friends who are creative, funny, and very compatible with my own interests who are in other parts of the WORLD, how awesome is that? Why would you NOT want to take advantage of what glorious technology we possess?

Hate to tell you guys, but the world is changing. GASP! I know, tough concept to get your hands on.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:30 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Yep, I never saw the reason for such, having a profile up constantly for people to look through.
You can also set it so that your profile is HIDDEN and only people you ALLOW can see it.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:45 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Hate to tell you guys, but the world is changing. GASP! I know, tough concept to get your hands on.
Exactly

Old 06-15-2011, 02:43 PM

827 posts, read 1,672,912 times
Seeing as most of my adult life has been pretty much an open book I'm not worried about anyone getting any dull info [I'm smart enough to keep my deepset darkest secrets very secret]

I've been able to keep in touch with my relations all over the country and all my buddys on the FD

Old 06-15-2011, 05:12 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You can also set it so that your profile is HIDDEN and only people you ALLOW can see it.
........ or until FB decides they should make it public, a stunt they have done in the past, and I have no confidence that they won't again. The best indicator that they don't give a damn is the fact they never have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet