Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 05:48 PM

61,733 posts, read 87,147,355 times

Advertisements

Is there any way to record movies stored in DVR to DVD? ( U-Verse )
I have several movies stored on DVR and would like to watch them in another room or on computer ( have only one DVR box). Tried to record live, but got error messages that I cannot record in +VR mode. Changed DVD+RW to DVD-RW, now I get error messages that I cannot record in Video mode.

Attached Thumbnails
DVR to DVD-tv1.jpg   DVR to DVD-tv2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 07:59 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
VR mode allows you to stop and start recordings. Try a standard write once recording, you can use RW for standard recording but you'll have to format the disc first. While on the topic VR mode and RW discs should only be used for temporary material , both are unreliable compared to write once recording on standard disc.

Having said that I'm guessing you're running into copy protection here and you're going to have same issue with regular recording. I'm assuming you are using RCA cables (analog) to connect DVR to recorder?

The copy protection most common on analog is just an error in the video stream that exploits a weakness in early VCR's, it was mandated into law so every VCR has been hobbled. You'll get a flashing rolling picture when you try to copy with a VCR. This would not effect modern electronic devices at all except they look for the error, instead of the flashing you'll get an error screen but I believe most will tell you it's copy protected.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:34 PM

Hmmm... Thank you! U-verse service is new to me. I never had this kind of problem with Dish Network. I need to check on the cable connection and the DVD disc.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:40 AM

Easiest way to find out is try and record it with a VCR if you have one laying around, you won't see it on the TV while you are recording but when you go to play it back from the tape you'll get a picture that will go from light to dark and might roll some.

This is a pretty big problem for some people trying to copy their own material they have recorded themselves on VHS tapes. As I mentioned it's a video error, Macrovision patented this error and by law any VCR has to be manufactured so it can't overcome this error. I believe most electronic recording devices are in same boat now.

VHS is going to have errors and some of these devices are overly sensitive and will interpret these common errors as copy protection on home movies, the video can't be transferred. Can be very frustrating as you can imagine and they might have to go to great lengths to copy their own home movies:

1) There's hacks in some cases for the recording device.
2) "Video enhancers" which will notch out the signal, these devices used to sell for about $50 and I don't know if they are still available. They are pretty much crap because they might notch out some of the legitimate signal.
3) A TBC which I have, this is a special video device for retiming video. As a consequence of the operation it performs errors are stripped but this device is $$$. This is not something someone would buy just to copy tapes unless they had a lot of home movies with timing issues.

These things will work for errors falsely seen as copy protection or the real thing.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:26 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
I used to be ambililent about this problem, but I've recently run into the problem trying to make DVDs of some old home movies I had taped off years ago. Needless to say, I am not happy. With the one I absolutely HAD to have now, I set up a camcorder aimed at the tv screen. I've been looking at other alternatives so I can do the job properly.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:50 PM

Harry, do you own a mini-DV camcorder and if so look to see if it has the "passthrough" feature. You hook the VCR to the RCA jacks on the cam and you can pass the signal to the camcorder and it will convert it to DV-AVI which you can then record to digital tape and/or send off to the computer over firewire. Some devices are more sensitive than others so it might work. That's also about best method for transfer, DV-AVI uses less compression and it's better material to work with for additional processing such as noise removal.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:28 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
coalman, I wish I had one, but I stopped with that obsession back around the last of the VHS-C camcorders. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:09 AM

Might be worth a shot to try and find one craigslist too or borrow one.

You can look the camcorder up here, they will list if it has passthrough near the end of the review.

Find a camcorder with our lab tested reviews and ratings - CamcorderInfo.com

Old 07-26-2011, 04:30 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times
So there's no way to transfer shows from a HD DVR to a DVD (or hard drive) via a HD connection? I don't want to take an HD recording and drop the quality to SD. I have 36 hours of a tv series saved on my DVR that I want transfered to DVD. Already transferred it to VHS years ago and the quality is awful. I would glady buy this series on DVD if it were ever manufactured but it wasn't.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:12 PM

Who is using the Macrovision copy protection - the MPAA movie studios or ATT U-verse? I had no problems recording all movies when I had Dish Network...

Would I be able to record movies if I connect my DVD recorder direct to TV?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet