Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 11:19 PM

3,888 posts, read 4,542,046 times

Advertisements

Hey Everybody...

My husband got a weird enquiry in his Facebook messenger today.

It was someone we never heard of (from another country apparently) who was "looking for her relative" and believed we were their neighbor, and desperately needed our help!
Then asked to confirm that we were "so and so" who lived on "such and such" street! Then tried to pry more specific details out.
Kind of freaked us out!!

We clicked on their FB account, and it was some foreign name, but the pic looked fake.

What's really freaky is they connected my hubby's name with an approximate area of where we live.
What the heck????

Anyone have any experience like this? Especially the someone knowing a little bit of where you live part????

Last edited by Bo; 12-02-2011 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: Moved from General US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 11:30 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,858,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Hey Everybody...

My husband got a weird enquiry in his Facebook messenger today.

It was someone we never heard of (from another country apparently) who was "looking for her relative" and believed we were their neighbor, and desperately needed our help!
Then asked to confirm that we were "so and so" who lived on "such and such" street! Then tried to pry more specific details out.
Kind of freaked us out!!

We clicked on their FB account, and it was some foreign name, but the pic looked fake.

What's really freaky is they connected my hubby's name with an approximate area of where we live.
What the heck????

Anyone have any experience like this? Especially the someone knowing a little bit of where you live part????
Yes. That was from me.

Where do you live? What is your name? What is your Social Security?

TELL ME NOW.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:36 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
They probably just picked a random facebook profile (your husband's) and then typed his name into a search engine and found out where you guys live. If you're listed in the local phone book, then really anyone anywhere can find out where you live via the internet. Just ignore it and they'll bother someone else who's gullible enough.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:53 AM

3,888 posts, read 4,542,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
They probably just picked a random facebook profile (your husband's) and then typed his name into a search engine and found out where you guys live. If you're listed in the local phone book, then really anyone anywhere can find out where you live via the internet. Just ignore it and they'll bother someone else who's gullible enough.
Thanks for the reply... appreciate it.
Sorry for posting this on the forums, but I figured maybe someone somewhere in this big country might have some insight.
I'm not on FB myself (too exhausting!) so when my hubby showed me the message, my paranoia radar went straight up!

Again, thanks!

Old 12-02-2011, 05:37 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Thanks for the reply... appreciate it.
Sorry for posting this on the forums, but I figured maybe someone somewhere in this big country might have some insight.
I'm not on FB myself (too exhausting!) so when my hubby showed me the message, my paranoia radar went straight up!

Again, thanks!
Report it. It may be nothing or a joke, but I wouldn't just ignore it.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:18 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
FB is a playground for many a mentally disturbed person, a candy store for pedophiles, and a database for con artists and identity thieves.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:24 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
One of 69 reasons why I don't do Facebook anymore. Mostly because it has lost its novelty and every company and business has a "Visit us on Facebook" presence.

And who cares about the 29 pictures of little Johnny eating his first bowl of oatmeal all by himself.

Facebook is to City-Data Forum what cartoons are to the discovery channel.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:50 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
One of 69 reasons why I don't do Facebook anymore. Mostly because it has lost its novelty and every company and business has a "Visit us on Facebook" presence.

And who cares about the 29 pictures of little Johnny eating his first bowl of oatmeal all by himself.

Facebook is to City-Data Forum what cartoons are to the discovery channel.
Only 69 must be your short list. Anymore , you mean you did and admit it .

Some sites that have nothing to do with FB, require a FB account to access their account. How much kick back are they getting?

The local bird cage liner has implemented a mandatory FB account requirement to post a comment on their webpage .
Quote:
The new system requires a Facebook account to participate in comment threads.

Question: Do I need to have a Facebook account to comment?
Answer: Yes. If you don't have a Facebook account, you can get one at Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More. Signing up for an account is quick, easy and free. Your comments may only be visible to you and your friends for the first few days after you sign up.

Facebook comment section now in effect at Asheville's CITIZEN-TIMES.com | The Asheville Citizen-Times | citizen-times.com
Signing up may be quick and easy, but it can cost you dearly

Old 12-02-2011, 10:23 AM

901 posts, read 2,387,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The local bird cage liner has implemented a mandatory FB account requirement to post a comment on their webpage .
I think it's all Gannett news outlets...I can't be certain. But recently there was a huge backlash from readers of the Cincinnati Enquirer about this very same thing. Sounding off - without the ugliness | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com

It has also happened with some local TV network affiliates.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:28 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Only 69 must be your short list. Anymore , you mean you did and admit it .

Some sites that have nothing to do with FB, require a FB account to access their account. How much kick back are they getting?

A person could easily get an anonymous FB account using another email address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet