Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2012, 12:17 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,758 times

Advertisements

Every time I open up Google Chrome, it's forever loading and goes no where. I can open up another tab but none of the websites load on it and I really love using my google chrome....Now, my Firefox seems to have a bug and I can't do any searches without a stupid B.S. "DNS Error" thing popping up or when I type in a search on google and click on a link, I get sent to a COMPLETELY different site. Usually an ad site, which pisses me off. For example: I'll type in "Montreal Hotels" and then when the links are displayed and I click on one, I'm sent to a site like "Gimme Answers" or some other site that has NOTHING to do with the search that I put in. Sometimes I'm sent right back to the google website.....

No matter what search engine I use, I get this. How can I fix this? This is super frustrated and happens on other browsers. I can go on to sites but I can't search for anything on search engines because I constantly run into this problem for the past 2-3 days.

Anyone can help me diagnose this? Anyone know anything I can do to fix this problem?

ALL your help is truly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 01:09 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times
If you are being redirected to gimmeanswers then you have a hijack virus which modifies dns settings.

If you dont have malwareybytes and/or MSE see below

reboot your computer and repeatedly tap F8. Select safe mode with networking.

1) Use the Windows Task Manager to stop Gimmeanswers.com process.(may not be there in safe mode)
2) Go to Windows Control Panel Add/Remove Programs to uninstall Gimmeanswers.com program.

Download malwareybytes and download microsoft security essentials.
Disable any other virus tool you are using.

Update both programs and then and run quick scan with each program. Delete anything they tell you to.

Reboot computer. Run the tools again. Come back here and let us know if that worked.

Last edited by skel1977; 03-27-2012 at 01:24 PM..

Old 03-28-2012, 04:39 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Also get rid of all toolbars and check the proxy settings in the browsers.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:16 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,758 times
Hey guys, thanks both of you so much for your help and it was super useful.

HOWEVER, I had to restore my laptop since I caught a trojan that effected my operating system and wouldn't start up for NOTHING.

Luckily, I saved a few things, but I have a whole lot to regain. I'm just happy to have my computer running normally, and now whatever I save I'm putting right into my hard drive ASAP.

Thanks so much for the help though guys!

Old 03-30-2012, 05:48 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times
Download microsoft security essentials and its unlikely you will have this problem again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet