Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 03:23 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times

Advertisements

I have dealt with similar cases in the past and most of the time, though it looked rather suspicious, it turned out there was no abuse.
Still, no system is 100% secure and it sometimes really happen. So the best thing to do in a case like this is to report a post and explain what its about.
Yac.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:52 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Well the Florida forum has got someone who is on his third (or 4th?) username.
He or she is baiting Austintraveler.
When I self requested my ban I actually came back three times on different names before finally giving up on myself and succumbing back to CD!!! When I came back the 3rd time they knew my old fort lauderdale SN without even mentioning it...On my first name, I DO admit to trying to take on a different persona with one of these names,and my name was banned the next evening. The second and third times I admitted to my former identity and I just felt really compelled to give advice and reply to a particular post.

I suppose I have caused my fair share of mischief,and maybe have a "notorious" perceived bias of a certain location that many of you know (go check out what a poster said about me in the TN forum), but all and all, it's good to see the moderators doing their jobs, and whenever you have a sizable web forum, you are always going to have a vulnerability to such situations mentioned by the OP. All and all, I am going to use this website mostly for its original purpose, and that is to give solid, unbiased moving advice to people moving into my state.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 09-28-2007 at 07:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 07:28 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
For a while I could have sworn I was seeing this in the political forum but then it occurred to me that there are plenty of ignorant or agenda-ridden people posting online these days.

It makes me feel good to know that the moderators have the tech tools available to take care of this issue (I am looking for to when they can take care of the ignorant posters too!).
I am especially anticipating when they can explain which posters are ignorant, and whether syntactic incongruities affect their judgement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet