Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 01:31 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,544,248 times

Advertisements

The internet page for Television Without Pity (which has huge forums like this site) is showing as an "attack site" - a black and red screen when I go to it.

What does this mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 01:36 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
What web browser are you using?

I've seen Google Chrome do this when a website pulls in a script from a server that is black listed as being an "attack site". Basically, this means that there is something potentially harmful on the site.

Does it happen consistently? It's something that might get resolved in time (a few minutes to a few hours).

Old 02-09-2013, 02:23 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Warning - visiting this web site may harm your computer!

Suggestions:Or you can continue to Television Reviews - TV Shows & TV Reviews - TV Series Recaps & Reviews | TWoP at your own risk. For detailed information about the problems we found, visit Google's Safe Browsing diagnostic page for this site.

For more information about how to protect yourself from harmful software online, you can visit StopBadware.org.

If you are the owner of this web site, you can request a review of your site using Google's Webmaster Tools. More information about the review process is available in Google's Webmaster Help Center.
Advisory provided by

Old 02-09-2013, 02:40 PM

I am using Firefox.

Tek- where did you get that info? It says you can go to the site at your own risk . ... risk of what?

Will I get a virus or something if I go there?

I've never seen this type of thing before. I'm surprised it would happen to such a huge and popular site.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:25 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I am using Firefox.

Tek- where did you get that info? It says you can go to the site at your own risk . ... risk of what?

I've never seen this type of thing before. I'm surprised it would happen to such a huge and popular site.
Risk of getting infected with a virus/worm/trojan...

Tek's post has a link that explains what "risk" means on that site:

Quote:
Or you can continue to Television Reviews - TV Shows & TV Reviews - TV Series Recaps & Reviews | TWoP at your own risk. For detailed information about the problems we found, visit Google's Safe Browsing diagnostic page for this site.
The Goggle safe browsing page (bolded in red that Tek posted):

Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page for www.televisionwithoutpity.com

Seems it's not a safe website and it's not like C-D, here there is no software to download......

Quote:
What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 618 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 123 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2013-02-09, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2013-02-09.
Malicious software includes 132 exploit(s), 22 trojan(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 4 new process(es) on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 4 domain(s), including hariey-davidson.com/, xxxpeepz.com/, anaiytics.com/.

2 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including anaiytics.com/, xxxpeepz.com/.

This site was hosted on 27 network(s) including AS4436 (AS), AS2914 (NTT), AS209 (QWEST).
xxxpeepz.com???? Really kitten......

Last edited by plwhit; 02-09-2013 at 04:36 PM..

Old 02-09-2013, 04:31 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,370,438 times
Quote:
I am using Firefox.

Same happened to me today (and I use FF as well).

I was on ColbertHub & it had link to something leading to Television Without Pity (which I'd heard of, but never visited), specifically to the forums there.
I was sufficiently unnerved by the red & black danger screen so as to back out of going to the site...
wonder what sort of digital cooties purportedly reside there ?
Doesn't sound/seem like the sort of site that would be hazardous (from my amateur standpoint, that is).

Appreciate the info. Tek_Freek included, so I can see & interact with the warning info, w/o having to try to trigger the page again.
And thanks to plwhit for pasting some of the details (what is displayed when one clicks on the diagnostic page link).

Old 02-09-2013, 05:52 PM

Thanks everyone..... I am bummed though because I love those forums almost as much as I love C-D.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:20 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone..... I am bummed though because I love those forums almost as much as I love C-D.
Just tried your website, results:

The Website Ahead Contains Malware!

Google Chrome has blocked access to Television Reviews - TV Shows & TV Reviews - TV Series Recaps & Reviews | TWoP for now.

Even if you have visited this website safely in the past, visiting it now is very likely to infect your Mac with malware.

Malware is malicious software that causes things like identity theft, financial loss, and permanent file deletion. Learn more

Old 02-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
On major sites like that, the warning's usually related to an issue with the third-party sources those sites use for ads and it won't be a permanent situation. It'll be a site that the owners will want to resolve quickly, because it will reduce the site's traffic dramatically.

Heed the warnings and don't visit while they're up. Come back in a few days after the warning is gone.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:30 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Thanks plwhit for responding. I got called away for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet