Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 07:41 AM

994 posts, read 1,237,538 times

Advertisements

I noticed recently that the US has a slightly lower rate of internet usership - the proportion of people who use the internet - than most Western European countries. This surprised me, as the US is the birthplace of much of the technology and home to the current major players, has a relatively young population by rich world standards, and is also probably the place where computers, tablets and smartphones cost least in comparison to incomes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Internet_users

Are Americans less computer-literate than Europeans, or do they just have better stuff to do with their lives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 08:33 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,213,079 times
We don't have the safety nets they do and a lot more very impoverished people who can't afford internet. Also a lot more completely rural areas with no penetration. People in Europe are use to living in somewhat closer quarters and tight towns, cities. I think a lot of older people in the US are a but more removed from society in the USA than can happen in Europe just due to the cultures of the places. The US is a bit more individualist, a bit more socially isolated (people live on large lots, single famliy houses, drive everywhere - not as much one-on-one interacton) which can lead to people not really knowing the advances in technology and how to use them if you're not living with and around people who will push you along.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
If you look at a map of the US and see how rural much of it is, you will understand something about these figures. Prior to moving to my neighborhood 3 years ago, high speed internet wasn't available to me in my rural area. In fact, we still live close to that area, and are looking at property with some acreage. I was shocked when I asked my realtor if high speed internet was available in these areas and she didn't know. Then we drove through the area and asked some people who we saw walking in the area (clearly residents who were just out for exercise) and THEY told us they had no idea! WHAT THE HECK! That was a real eye opener for me, because I've never lived where I didn't or couldn't access the internet (even in our previous home we had HughesNet - which I hate with a passion, but that's another story).

You know, I managed to live thirty five years of my life without regular access to the internet (I'm 51) and I had a very full and interesting life prior to the internet, as I do now. Would I miss it if I didn't have it? Of course. But is it a necessary component for an enjoyable, interesting, full life? Absolutely NOT.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:58 AM

390 posts, read 941,625 times
The reason is that Americans work much more than Europeans do. The typical European worker only works 35 hours per week (more free time)...the typical American worker works 50+

Old 09-10-2013, 12:29 PM

Katheryn, it didn't occur to me that lack of actual availability of service in remote areas could be a contributing factor, but of course this makes sense. Although, rates of internet use are higher in Canada, which has far lower population density than the US...

Tor, sadly (for me, as a European), the difference in working ours is not as big as that at all:

Average annual hours actually worked per worker (I know Katheryn loves this organisation )

And there doesn't seem to be much of a correlation between working hours and internet use - for example, Germany, which works the shortest hours of the major European countries, has much lower internet use than the nordic countries, which work significantly longer hours.

Chicago, do you think the lack of safety net, as you put it, is really a significant factor? Mean incomes are higher overall in the US and electrical items are also cheaper.

Katheryn, don't you think it's possible that as the internet becomes more and more ubiquitous, and it becomes more and more central to how many (most?) people communicate, it actually will become difficult to live without it?

I love the idea of being able to go off the grid - the ability to do this in the US is in itself a 'resource' that should be valued, an integral part of the idea of 'wilderness'.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:56 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,042,525 times
I think a lot of it does come down to a higher level of inequality between rich and poor in the U.S. than in most of Europe. As the internet developed, most European countries made it a point of public policy to ensure internet access was available to every citizen. In contrast, in the U.S. it was left up to the market, meaning it's too expensive for some individuals to enroll, and too expensive for businesses to bother providing service to others.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I think a lot of it does come down to a higher level of inequality between rich and poor in the U.S. than in most of Europe. As the internet developed, most European countries made it a point of public policy to ensure internet access was available to every citizen. In contrast, in the U.S. it was left up to the market, meaning it's too expensive for some individuals to enroll, and too expensive for businesses to bother providing service to others.
Does the government not get involved at all in the internet infrastructure there?

Old 09-10-2013, 02:21 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,454,397 times
Canada is one of the MOST connected nations in the world. That has to do with a Federal Government program that promised ( and delivered ) that ALL Canadians, no matter where they live( even in the high arctic ) would have access to the Internet.

Canada has a internet penetration of 80 percent. Eight out of ten Canadians are on the internet , every day. In addition, only 3 percent of Canadians live in a place that is so isolated that they can`t get satellite internet connections . Considering that Canada is the second largest country in the world, after Russia, that is a real accomplishment.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:54 PM

117 posts, read 160,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor_Nado View Post
The reason is that Americans work much more than Europeans do. The typical European worker only works 35 hours per week (more free time)...the typical American worker works 50+
The typical American works over 50 hours per weeK? LOL, get out with that nonsense! Its below 35 hours.

Average annual hours actually worked per worker

Old 09-10-2013, 02:57 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,042,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George & Bill View Post
Does the government not get involved at all in the internet infrastructure there?
Not to any significant extent.

Typically internet infrastructure is either privately owned by telephone companies or cable companies. There have been some movements to have free city-wide wi-fi in areas, but the telecom lobby does everything they can to limit this.

The government might throw some subsidies at the private companies to incentivize them to provide access to more rural areas, but there's no such thing as government-run internet access, outside of things like army bases and research facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet