Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2013, 06:22 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times

Advertisements

My modem died last week (from lightening I think) so my internet provider replaced it with a different one. My internet is WAY slower now. I'm going to call them and complain. Can the modem affect speed this much? If they won't replace it or fix it, should I buy one on my own? I have DSL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 08:58 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Yes, the modem absolutely can affect the speed. Any device that the packets traverse can (and does, technically) affect network speed, and in the case of the modem, it's doing a lot more than just forwarding packets.

Talk to your provider, and if they won't do anything, make sure you *can* use a 3rd party modem, and find out what the technical requirements are before shopping for one. They most likely have an "approved model" list or something similar. Find that and then check the reviews online for each one. Don't skimp - if you want a good piece of equipment, what you want isn't likely to be the cheapest on the list. That said, there are plenty of junk network devices that are overpriced, too.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:16 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
We have 100mbps service standard.

We ended up replacing the router. AND each computer ended up running at a different speed depending on its drivers.

The IMAC with ethernet was 92mbps, the Lenovo came in at 82mbps wireless, and the Dell Vostro at 3mbps!!! Good thing the Dell was not my primary machine. It was the Dell that needed its drivers replaced.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:36 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Im sorry your having problems Chrristina!

Have you tried to go on GOOGLE or Ebay,etc and see if you can another modem?? (The same one you had?? (Or was it a cable co. issued modem??))

Good luck

Old 04-24-2013, 04:27 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
Thanks for the replies. I called my internet provider and they were no help. They said my internet is as fast as it is supposed to be. They told me to try a different browser - I have tried IE, Firefox, and Google Chrome - it's all slow. Then they blamed my computer. Seriously. I asked if they could send me a different modem and they said no, that is the only one they use. They said it is fine if I buy my own modem and they don't care what kind I get.

So should I try to buy the kind that I had before (Westell) or something else? I really know nothing about this sort of thing.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:22 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Yes if you can find the same model,YES GET IT!!!!!!!!

Westells are quite good from what I have read on them

Old 04-25-2013, 06:56 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
You need to escalate this to their supervisor or to their tech department. The person you talked to seems clueless.

As for buying one, which one did you have before (model number, not just the name), and which one do you have now? Maybe the one you have now is better, but is not provisioned correctly? We can't tell without more info.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:55 AM

3 posts, read 7,832 times
Default Internet Speed

There might be number of problems with your internet speed so, first of all check your internet speed through any online app for internet speed check If your internet speed slow then contact to your internet service provider and do complain and second also check your modem too is it working properly or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet