Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 11:41 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,745,864 times

Advertisements

Is anyone else seeing this?

For the last week or so, I've been receiving 2 and 3 copies of the same message from Hotmail - spaced a few seconds to a couple of minutes apart. I'm getting them from different senders, so it seems to be a Hotmail issue and not one with the sources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 07:20 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,282,144 times
No, I havent seen this happen for a long time. Are you doing anything new? New browser, firewall, security, anything different?

Old 04-21-2014, 10:32 PM

188 posts, read 279,274 times
Not happening here either.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
No, I havent seen this happen for a long time. Are you doing anything new? New browser, firewall, security, anything different?
I guess I should have given more info as I realized later that some are using just web-mail.

I download messages to Outlook Express using POP. And that's where I'm see the duplicates. And it doesn't seem to matter whether or not I leave the messages on the server. This started happening - and it might have started longer than a week ago - when I had it set to leave the messages on the server. So I Googled the issue and got some responses suggesting that changing the setting to delete messages when downloading would solve the problem. So I changed it, but am still getting the duplicates in Outlook Express.

Outlook Express, of course, is the same old program I've used for many years and nothing else has changed that would have anything to do with e-mail. On the other hand, I have no idea what evil may have lurked silently in Microsoft's recent updates.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:57 AM

Did some more research and found that there's a file named Pop3uidl.dbx that keeps track of downloaded messages and that it can get corrupted. The proposed solution is simply to delete it and a new one will be created next time you download.

I did that and so far, so good....on a one message test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet