Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2014, 06:12 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,187,400 times

Advertisements

Got email to Yahoo mail with link for resetting password to someplace else. The link is disabled.
Couldn't find anyway at Yahoo to fix this (Mail went to spam folder, BTW)
So, I sent it to myself at an AOL address...usually goes to regular mail when I forward to myself but this time also went to Spam with a disabled link.
I viewed the message source and it had the notation "disabled' next to the link in Yahoo and 'no follow' "removed"in AOL......was hoping I could c/p it.
I can't find how to achieve this.
Any solutions?
What I am looking for is old contacts on AIM, which I haven't used in a long time so getting a new account won't be the answer since it wouldn't contain the old contacts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 06:37 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
If you are looking at the source a link is structured something like this:

<a href="http://www.example.com/somepage.html" rel="nofollow">Link text</a>

They might of did something like this that alters the anchor tag so it's not parsed as a link.

<\a href="http://www.example.com/somepage.html" rel="nofollow">Link text\<\/a>

Copy and paste the http://www.example.com/somepage.html into your browsers address bar.

The rel="nofollow" is irrelevant, it's just a direction for search engines to not give the link any "link juice" for SEO purposes.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you are looking at the source a link is structured something like this:

<a href="http://www.example.com/somepage.html" rel="nofollow">Link text</a>

They might of did something like this that alters the anchor tag so it's not parsed as a link.

<\a href="http://www.example.com/somepage.html" rel="nofollow">Link text\<\/a>

Copy and paste the http://www.example.com/somepage.html into your browsers address bar.

The rel="nofollow" is irrelevant, it's just a direction for search engines to not give the link any "link juice" for SEO purposes.
The URL does not appear in the source code..it is removed in AOL and in Yahoo, the source comes up as the entire page, not just the email in question........I didn't find it by scanning down through it but suppose if I wanted to spend half hour reading it...but if I did locate it and it was removed from Yahoo also...well...just hoped there is a way to get my email programs to allow all links.
I certainly have that ability in most mails. I don't know why this time is an exception or why they are going to Spam folder
I also tried to mark it as Not Spam and it wouldn't transfer it.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:49 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
If I am reading correctly, you can change where the email is sent and want an email account that won't strip such links from your email. Like Coalman, I'm not sure that such links are removed. Rather than searching every line, just F3 your view of the source page and search on something like ://
You may find it that way. It'll certainly be a lot quicker in any case.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
If I am reading correctly, you can change where the email is sent and want an email account that won't strip such links from your email. Like Coalman, I'm not sure that such links are removed. Rather than searching every line, just F3 your view of the source page and search on something like ://
You may find it that way. It'll certainly be a lot quicker in any case.
I thought of a quicker search just after my last post, brought up the source code and used CTRL F to put in a search box.

Every GDadvertisement seemed to be there but only a strange selections of emails.....not even sequential .........the one I wanted was, of course, not included. Used several limited use words included in that email...like 'reset', my 'other' email name (used for ID verification) "password"......that's when I discovered every email showing on that page wasn't included.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:49 AM

Assuming the email is being sent originally to the Yahoo account go into your Yahoo settings(or where it's being sent) and there should be an option to forward all email to another account. Do that and have it resent.

If it's Yahoo removing the link it probably won't be processed by them and kicked right to the account it's being forwarded too.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Assuming the email is being sent originally to the Yahoo account go into your Yahoo settings(or where it's being sent) and there should be an option to forward all email to another account. Do that and have it resent.

If it's Yahoo removing the link it probably won't be processed by them and kicked right to the account it's being forwarded too.
That's the first thing I tried.......any forwards are sent with the link either disabled or eliminated.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:45 AM

You said you forwarded it to yourself which I'm assuming means you opened it in Yahoo email and then forwarded it. What I mean is you're going to automatically forward to your other account, Yahoo is just going to bounce it to whatever email account you specify. You'll need to have the email resent.

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail/SLN3525.html

Old 05-29-2014, 12:54 PM

AOl sent it to Yahoo as a alternate verification address so I could change a password for an old AIM account.
Even though these are my own addresses, they are being sent to the SPAM folder, which, must be , strips the links (For my protection)
I would have to contact AOL to have them do something different.
It's simply not that important to even think of trying to get anywhere that way.......do they even use humans anymore? Would I get a canned response that had nothing to do with my question? Will I live long enough to get a resolution that way?
Thanks for trying to help, but this week is not a good one for testing my patience.
I preferred to contact a couple of old friends personally first, but by now, they've read the obituary in the paper anyway.
Thanks again for your effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet