Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 08:12 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times

Advertisements

And just to clarify, only the business owners get contacted, not the individual posters. The owners are told they can have their negative reviews removed if they sign up to a fee based service with Yelp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 08:17 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times
I use when traveling, but I hate it for all the reasons mentioned. I'm surprised, however, that nobody commented on the appallingly poor quality of so many of the reviews themselves.

The quality of many/most reviews is appallingly poor! FAR too many are written by people who apparently feel that it's reasonable to ding restaurants for simply serving food they don't like, as in a 1-star rating because "there were no vegan options at the so-and-so steak house." Duh. Then why are you going to a steak house?
Or slamming a sushi restaurant cause they don't like raw fish?
I saw a 1-star review of a very highly acclaimed restaurant because the person's request for a table "out of view of the bar" wasn't honored. It just happens that the bar is visible from the entire restaurant. W_T_F?? They should have stayed in Utah.

There are also plenty of 5-star reviews for objectively terrible restaurants serving up what the locals like, such as mushy spaghetti. OK, so they're catering to local tastes, but you'd have no way of knowing that from Yelp.

Sure, you can ignore this stuff, but it impacts the rating and forces you to filter through it all to try to get as some semblance of objectivity. It would also be great if they allowed comments on individual reviews. Some counterpoint would allow a much more valid (and interesting!) assessment.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:44 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
Review sites (yelp, rotton tomatoes, etc.) are really not reveiwing anything - though some posters do take the time to submit an actual review, these are a minority and the majority are up or down votes and a comment or two. So what you are getting, for free, is a consensus as a substitute for assessment. You just got what you paid for.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:54 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default I like Yelp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
1. they contact companies with poor reviews and agree to remove them

2. Most negative reviews I post are filtered.

3. The searching in Yelp is laughable.
1. If you can prove this, then you can become rich. Many people claim this, but it never turns into a real legal case. I call BS on this.

2. You don't write enough reviews. Yelp wants active reviewers. That means writing a review every week. I have 1-star reviews that are 6 years old still visible (and not in the filter bucket).
It means not writing 15 reviews in one day. It means writing 15 reviews over 3 months.

3. Some of the failure of search is how people enter the names of the businesses when they add one.

4. I find Yelp very valuable when in a new area. A huge improvement over the old days when you only had the Yellow Pages.

5. Yelp Sort is helpful. For me, it shows recent and those from my "friends" first. I trust the friend reviews a lot as their average number of reviews is over 400.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:12 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. If you can prove this, then you can become rich. Many people claim this, but it never turns into a real legal case. I call BS on this.

2. You don't write enough reviews. Yelp wants active reviewers. That means writing a review every week. I have 1-star reviews that are 6 years old still visible (and not in the filter bucket).
It means not writing 15 reviews in one day. It means writing 15 reviews over 3 months.

3. Some of the failure of search is how people enter the names of the businesses when they add one.

4. I find Yelp very valuable when in a new area. A huge improvement over the old days when you only had the Yellow Pages.

5. Yelp Sort is helpful. For me, it shows recent and those from my "friends" first. I trust the friend reviews a lot as their average number of reviews is over 400.
This. My reviews stay up and don't get buried. I write reviews on a fairly regular basis and have an approximately normal distribution of ratings. When I first started sometimes reviews would be hidden, but that just makes sense.

And yeah, the bit about companies paying to have bad reviews removed is BS. Advertiser FAQ | Yelp It's been studied by academia and even gone to court.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:03 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
In the Yelp site, there is a link in the top page:

[red asterisk] Your trust is our top concern, so businesses can't pay to alter or remove their reviews. Learn more.

Learn more link:

Advertiser FAQ | Yelp

Money doesn’t buy anything but ads.

So. You might be wondering: If a business pays Yelp to advertise…
  • Do they get a higher rating?
  • Do they get their negative reviews removed?
  • Can they recommend more of their positive reviews?
No. No. And…no.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:39 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
For all you non believers

Yelp Is Allowed To Manipulate Ratings And Remove Good Reviews, Says Court: SFist

Old 07-07-2015, 05:52 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
I just noticed a previously approved negative review of mine was deleted from the page for the business. I had to go to my page; edit my review; and then re-post it. Not sure if I trust Yelp at this point.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:06 AM

4,667 posts, read 3,863,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I try to use common sense when reading any reviews. Look for the number of reviews, then eliminate those extremely great and extremely bad. If this is about food, many times it's about a personal taste.
That's what I do. A lot of the reviews are over the top & not in a funny way.

I do like Yelp for the reviews of the local Wal-Mart, grocery stores etc. They're pretty funny if you need a laugh.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:44 AM

217 posts, read 146,493 times
TripAdvisor for the win!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet