Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 09:27 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
A lot of sites still do a whole page reload. AJAX, which is still popular today (sadly), doesn't really feel like a whole page reload, IMO. I can't wait till people stop using JQuery and AJAX.
What do you anticipate will be replacing it? I'm looking for something new to learn ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 03:01 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
What do you anticipate will be replacing it? I'm looking for something new to learn ...
Probably node, but by the time you learn it, it'll be outdated, just like ajax (apparently) is today. It was only a few years ago that it really started to gain in popularity. Now it's practically obsolete, according to some in this thread.

Technology advances, but you can't expect every single business to "keep up with the Jones's" on a full time basis. A complex website takes a long time to plan and develop. Whoever is paying for that is going to want to see it get some use before they have to have it rewritten using the latest and greatest technology, to gain 5ms on a page load. Not to mention, the older technology they just finished building their site with is still perfectly functional and will be for many years to come.

I haven't updated our website pretty much since we started, six years ago. Joomla 1.5 with a few plugins. We're still getting multiple customers each week from it, so my position is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." That said, we don't sell anything on our site - it's primarily a business card and potential customers will call, email or use the contact form if they decide to try us out.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:18 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Websockets are replacing it now. Take a look at socket.io: Socket.IO

Old 09-08-2014, 10:27 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Probably node, but by the time you learn it, it'll be outdated, just like ajax (apparently) is today. It was only a few years ago that it really started to gain in popularity. Now it's practically obsolete, according to some in this thread.

Technology advances, but you can't expect every single business to "keep up with the Jones's" on a full time basis. A complex website takes a long time to plan and develop. Whoever is paying for that is going to want to see it get some use before they have to have it rewritten using the latest and greatest technology, to gain 5ms on a page load. Not to mention, the older technology they just finished building their site with is still perfectly functional and will be for many years to come.

I haven't updated our website pretty much since we started, six years ago. Joomla 1.5 with a few plugins. We're still getting multiple customers each week from it, so my position is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." That said, we don't sell anything on our site - it's primarily a business card and potential customers will call, email or use the contact form if they decide to try us out.
It might seem like a few years ago, but 2006 (when AJAX took off) is 8 years ago!!!

I started using Node.JS a little over 2 years ago with a facebook application. Many large sites are using it today; including PayPal, WSJ, LinkedIn, Groupon and Walmart. I don't think it will become obsolete anytime soon.

However, I've started focusing on Go after I was engaged with a brief discussion with TJ over tea. He later wrote this article, which shares his thoughts on the switch: https://medium.com/code-adventures/f...s-4ba9e7f3e52b
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet