Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 02:21 AM

199 posts, read 261,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I currently have 45 domains registered with 1and1. I have let about 20 expire, and will let a few more expire. I have been using them for 5 or 6 years.
I am aware of complaints, but really have none myself.

But, I would never use them for hosting or exchange email, etc.
So do you just register them at the discount price and let them expire when the year is up if you don't sell or use them? Their renewal rates are higher than most of the top rated registrars.

Have you ever transferred a domain from 1&1 to another registrar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 05:26 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeekUniverse View Post
So do you just register them at the discount price and let them expire when the year is up if you don't sell or use them? Their renewal rates are higher than most of the top rated registrars.

Have you ever transferred a domain from 1&1 to another registrar?
I did a quick search for the horrors, etc. Some very unhappy people, indeed.

Yes, I churn a few every year. I let many $0.99 domains expire after the first year.
Sometimes, it is a domain I bought just for fun. Recently I bought "RedMeatRealty.com," and have no clue why other than it made me laugh. "A Cut Above!"
I don't know if I will own that one in a year, but 45 days in, I am still grinning $0.99 worth....

If I am listing your house for sale, I will buy "123Elm.com" for $0.99, and let it go after the year.
Except for several domains that are "core" to my business/brand, auto-renew is turned off. I saw some complaints about problems with retribution for that in 4-6 year old postings. I haven't seen any issue so far.

I haven't transferred out yet, but might try to move one, and see how that goes.

And, I have given them terrible reviews, in their feedback poll and on the phone, for their user interface speed and poor navigation.
I would not suggest to use them for other services other than registry. And you have me thinking about that...

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 02-22-2015 at 06:02 AM..

Old 02-22-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
I did a quick search for the horrors, etc. Some very unhappy people, indeed.

Yes, I churn a few every year. I let many $0.99 domains expire after the first year.
Sometimes, it is a domain I bought just for fun. Recently I bought "RedMeatRealty.com," and have no clue why other than it made me laugh. "A Cut Above!"
I don't know if I will own that one in a year, but 45 days in, I am still grinning $0.99 worth....

If I am listing your house for sale, I will buy "123Elm.com" for $0.99, and let it go after the year.
Except for several domains that are "core" to my business/brand, auto-renew is turned off. I saw some complaints about problems with retribution for that in 4-6 year old postings. I haven't seen any issue so far.

I haven't transferred out yet, but might try to move one, and see how that goes.

And, I have given them terrible reviews, in their feedback poll and on the phone, for their user interface speed and poor navigation.
I would not suggest to use them for other services other than registry. And you have me thinking about that...
LMAO, I love that name. That's really catchy! You might not get too many Vegan customers looking for your services though. I really like the name though.

A big majority of their complaints are from customers trying to transfer out. They do everything possible to delay or prevent you from being able to. I didn't know much about them years ago when I got into buying domains but luckily I found some good reasons to avoid them. I am a member on a top domaining forum (I am mostly a developer though) and over there we hear a lot of horror stories about people loosing their domains or having to pay huge prices to keep them. Many people will not buy a domain that someone has for sale that has 1&1 as the registrar for many of these reasons.

If you are buying domains and just keeping them for a year and they are .com domains you can switch to GoDaddy. They always have lots of $.99 coupon codes and they are easy to deal with and transfer out of if you want to or sell it.

From what I am told and have heard from others is that many times transferring one domain away from 1&1 isn't always that bad but on the following they start having issues.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:07 PM

182 posts, read 264,365 times
So you register a domain for cheap, then you build a successful website, then they jack up the price to register it again after a year? That sucks.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeekUniverse View Post
LMAO, I love that name. That's really catchy! You might not get too many Vegan customers looking for your services though. I really like the name though.

A big majority of their complaints are from customers trying to transfer out. They do everything possible to delay or prevent you from being able to. I didn't know much about them years ago when I got into buying domains but luckily I found some good reasons to avoid them. I am a member on a top domaining forum (I am mostly a developer though) and over there we hear a lot of horror stories about people loosing their domains or having to pay huge prices to keep them. Many people will not buy a domain that someone has for sale that has 1&1 as the registrar for many of these reasons.

If you are buying domains and just keeping them for a year and they are .com domains you can switch to GoDaddy. They always have lots of $.99 coupon codes and they are easy to deal with and transfer out of if you want to or sell it.

From what I am told and have heard from others is that many times transferring one domain away from 1&1 isn't always that bad but on the following they start having issues.
Yeah, I don't exactly know what to do with RedMeatRealty. Other than look at it and grin.
Was thinking about buying a counterpart, like CroissantRealty, and separately blogging on two domains.
One with real estate practice, policy and politics, etc, and one with houses, style, décor, landscaping., etc.
But, I haven't come up with an available foodie counterpart to Red Meat that I like for a domain yet.

I'm not really a GoDaddy fan, either.
But, I may have to look at them again.
It would be nice to keep everything in one place. Other than 1and1, I have one at DirectNic through 2017, and they're a bit pricier, but I will ride it out because it is paid ahead.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman Jason View Post
So you register a domain for cheap, then you build a successful website, then they jack up the price to register it again after a year? That sucks.
Well, I don't expect to pay $0.99 annually for registering a domain.

I know the first year is a teaser rate to get me on board, and I expect the fee to increase so the registrar can make a profit. They cannot make a profit at $0.99/year, I am sure.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman Jason View Post
To them it doesn't matter if you build a successful website or not. If you want to keep the domain you must pay. Most of the time 1&1 has a special for a domain at $.99 for the first year. The next year when renewal comes it is $15.99 for the usual domain extensions (.com, .net, etc.). In their defense this $.99 price is below their cost so they lose money the first year but make that lose up plus a little the second year.

Quote:
Yeah, I don't exactly know what to do with RedMeatRealty. Other than look at it and grin.
Was thinking about buying a counterpart, like CroissantRealty, and separately blogging on two domains.
One with real estate practice, policy and politics, etc, and one with houses, style, décor, landscaping., etc.
But, I haven't come up with an available foodie counterpart to Red Meat that I like for a domain yet.

I'm not really a GoDaddy fan, either.
But, I may have to look at them again.
It would be nice to keep everything in one place. Other than 1and1, I have one at DirectNic through 2017, and they're a bit pricier, but I will ride it out because it is paid ahead.
Well I think you have a good idea with having 2 domains with sites/blogs that cover different aspects. You just need another that is as good as RedMeatRealty.com. That's really catchy. Maybe you can help cover the vegetarian market (since the name RMR won't be a fav. of theirs) with something like MeatFreeRealty or MeatlessLifestyleRealty. LOL

GoDaddy is good for what you are doing over at 1&1 with most you names and just registering them and keeping them a year since they always have $.99 domains also. The thing that GoDaddy has over 1&1 is that if you want to transfer them out before renewal comes around it is real easy. Also, if you ever try to sell any of them more people will be interested since GoDaddy doesn't have the same issues that 1&1 has.

Quote:
Well, I don't expect to pay $0.99 annually for registering a domain.

I know the first year is a teaser rate to get me on board, and I expect the fee to increase so the registrar can make a profit. They cannot make a profit at $0.99/year, I am sure.
If you are going to register a domain that you know you are going to have more than a year then you can register them at someplace like Namecheap. They charge around $10 a year and they don't jack up the rates for renewing the domains. Plus their Private registration service is free the first year and $.99 after that (with coupon codes that never expires). GoDaddy charges $9.99 for domain privacy, which you can get for $7.99 most of the time. The privacy is good if you don't want your contact information getting out.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I currently have 45 domains registered with 1and1. I have let about 20 expire, and will let a few more expire. I have been using them for 5 or 6 years.
I am aware of complaints, but really have none myself.

But, I would never use them for hosting or exchange email, etc.
Hey Mike, I came across this on another site and though you might be interested in reading it.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/1an...xcuses.852195/

P.S. Did you ever come up with another name to compliment RMR?

Old 03-20-2015, 07:29 PM

RealtyRhapsody.com
RealtyRhapsodies.com

Kinda the softer side, and ties in well with "Realty Arts."

Both at 1and1...
Jeeze, that forum is less than wonderful reading.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
RealtyRhapsody.com
RealtyRhapsodies.com

Kinda the softer side, and ties in well with "Realty Arts."

Both at 1and1...
Jeeze, that forum is less than wonderful reading.
Cool, I like them both, but not as much as the RedMeatRealty one. That's great, I love it.

That's the best forum for honest and factual information that has to do with domains. I have seen many forum sites that their main point covers domains but that one is the best. They also keep spam off of it unlike most domain related websites. If you ever get a chance, check it out and see all the domain related info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet