Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 05:45 PM

691 posts, read 1,150,504 times

Advertisements

Sold a ~$300 phone on Amazon.

Buyer decides to request a return after having the phone for 3+ weeks (claims it doesnt work with his carrier).

I was away, and was unable to respond in time...so it was escalated to a claim. Of course buyer wins the claim, and is refunded his money from the card I have on file.

Buyer is a research fellow at an Ivy League school, as well as a professor at one of the most prestigious universities in Canada (where he resides full time, apparently...but phone was shipped to the US)

Have contacted him to return my phone. He claims that Amazon said to 'discard' it, and that he will not return it to me without their 'authorization'.

Needless to say, I'm LIVID. Given that I know his place(s) of employment, I am tempted to go on a mass email binge to make his life a living hell by letting his colleagues know that he is engaging in fraud (and will include appropriate documentation).

I have been in touch with Amazon, who told me to appeal the decision (which was of course denied). They have zero interest in helping me get my item back.

Should note that I dont want to do a chargeback with my credit card for two reasons: 1) I have a Prime membership on the account, so I don't want it getting suspended...and 2) I want to sell on Amazon in the future.

I refuse to just 'write it off' as a $300 loss. Any opinions/alternatives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 06:01 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
$300 would not even start to cover the retainer for the attorney you will have to hire to defend you against the stalking/cyberbullying/libel charges that would come your way if you "make his life a living hell."

Not worth it. Come to your senses.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:13 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
I would have done the same thing as your buyer. I have an AWOL seller and recently initiated a charge-back via my CC for an eBay/Paypal purchase and they were wanting me to take the item to an authorized agent to document my claims - I refused and gave them the option of researching the issue themselves, at their cost. Since my issue escalated to a charge-back I won't be returning anything without my CC authorizing or signing off.

Personally, I would initiate a charge back with your CC, but if that isn't an option you can't really do anything.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:19 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Write it off as a lesson to use eBay next time you want to sell something. Amazon has draconian rules. It's not meant for dabblers.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:26 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Write it off as a lesson to use eBay next time you want to sell something. Amazon has draconian rules. It's not meant for dabblers.
eBay isn't friendly to this sort of thing either.

Sellers who don't respond are going to lose every time, no matter what platform they're using. Any argument the OP had (and I absolutely believe the buyer is lying about Amazon telling him to discard the device) went out the window as soon as he didn't bother to respond.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:09 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
If you are going to sell on Amazon "being away" is not an option or an excuse. You screwed up. Now you're getting screwed, but it's your own fault.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:15 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
Live and learn, education usually costs!

Old 08-02-2015, 06:28 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,408,849 times
Sorry this happened to you. It's a hard lesson. Your buyer has most likely been told by Amazon that they don't have to return the phone, and they have sold it to someone else.

For anyone else who comes along with the same situation...
Neither the buyer or Amazon cares that you were away and couldn't get your messages. You have 2 days to respond to an issue, or the case gets escalated to an A-Z claim.

To cover yourself if you are going to be gone, Amazon has a vacation setting Amazon.com Help: Listing Status Settings for Vacations, Holidays, and Other Absences

Old 08-04-2015, 01:47 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Quote:
Have contacted him to return my phone. He claims that Amazon said to 'discard' it, and that he will not return it to me without their 'authorization'.
If that is indeed what he said, he is most definitely a liar and full of it. If he indeed discard the phone, how would he be able to return it anyhow? Besides, why did he need Amazon's authorization? Total BS.

Realizing what kinda crook this guy is, regardless of his position, etc. I'd wanna make an example of this character and not due to loss of $$ but due to principle.

I'd have flown out to his place, locate him and beat him up with the "discarded" phone.

I am kidding of course....

...or maybe not.

Being a seller an any auction site is a sucker's game. You have to expect to get screwed by indecent buyers, at least once in a while!

Old 08-05-2015, 09:54 AM

671 posts, read 901,140 times
Request to see documentation from Amazon that they gave him permission to discard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet