Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2016, 02:05 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times

Advertisements

I am an infrequent Facebook user but when I got a new phone I put the Facebook app on it. The next day, to my shock and horror, one of my facebook friends (and IRL friends) started following me on Instagram. I don't use my name on Instagram, just a user name.I take it the only way he could have found me is through the Facebook platform application so I shut it off.

I absolutely do not want my Facebook friends to know about anything I do on any other app I use. I have no pictures posted on Instagram but I follow some fetish oriented accounts.It's a rather harmless fetish, but I absolutely do not want to share this side of myself with people I know. I take it Facebook also linked to my Twitter? I have quite a large following on twitter with outspoken, controversial views that lean to the alt-right. I enjoy interacting with my thousands of like minded followers but do not care to discuss anything political with anyone on facebook. There are a few other apps I use too where I want to be in a completely different universe than Facebook.

So my question is did turning off platform applications solve this issue? My phone does not like that I did this, it frequently informs me that Facebook wants this turned on. I take it when it was turned on (by default) and for example any of my facebook friends were on Instagram I was suggested as a friend. Is that how it works?

I appreciate any information about this subject. But please don't criticize me for not wanting to share my other online activities with my facebook friends. I feel so strongly about this I would gladly delete my Facebook account if that's what it takes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 01:05 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times
I just disabled Facebook on my phone. Hopefully this will solve this. I am considering deleting my account altogether as well. Sorry, I should have posted this question on the phone forum. Since it involves Facebook I thought it was internet related, I guess it is.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:15 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Here is your answer:
https://www.facebook.com/help/210676372433246
I am very careful with my phone apps and try not not link any of my personal data to anything online.
Anytime your phone app ask for any permission, take your time and read what they use the permission for.

You deleted your FB app on your phone, but you already gave your permission to link stuff from the phone to FB, and that data is already linked.
"Keep in mind that this list doesn’t include all of the Android permissions we request or all of our uses of those permissions. If you've already installed the Facebook app, you can find a list of the permissions the app uses in your phone's Applications Manager, or by visiting the Play Store and clicking View details under Permissions."
If you are concerned about your data privacy, go here and review every and each one:
https://www.facebook.com/about/privacy

Old 03-21-2016, 08:07 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
I think in this particular case, it has nothing to do with Facebook. This is 100% Instagram.
When you first install Instagram and create an account you are asked: "Can IG have 100% access to your contacts? We will let you know when one of your contacts joins IG!"

So your friend said YES to this. His contacts were shared to IG. You probably missed a setting in your privacy settings for IG to "Not share my email address publicly". Even if the only thing you allow IG to share is your email address, you can see how this creates a perfect storm between this setting and your friends setting allowing you to be found.

Facebook does not share your info with other sites WITHOUT YOUR EXPLICIT PERMISSION. Absolutely not. Even Instagram...which it owns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet