Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 11:24 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
It actually is anonymous. That's part of the problem with it. For example, do you know what my real name is? No, you don't.
It's not about me knowing your name , it's about big brother or worse, hackers. Assuming I have access to the necessary information, I can find out who you are. Let me give you an example. The software that runs behind City Data forums keeps track of your visits and logs each page you open. It also logs your IP address. With that IP address, I can do an IP Whois search and find out exactly who owns said IP. Let's say it's AT&T. The ISP (AT&T) knows who has which IP address at any given day and time. With this information, you can be tracked right to your physical address. Assuming you were engaging in illegal activity, you could have the police knocking on your door in short period of time. Of course, if you have more than one person using the internet in your house, they wouldn't know exactly who but could narrow it down pretty quickly. This is what I mean about not being anonymous. The casual user does not care what your name is but your activities could be easily tracked and maybe already are. Most of us do not know what is happening "behind the scenes" on our own PC's. You could be running malware and not even know it. That's from the hackers perspective but there are plenty of legal ways your could be tracked for marketing purposes and more.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. It's not about someone knowing your name, that's not what I meant.

Can You Really Be Anonymous Online?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 05:55 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
I suggest he stop stalking people and mind his own business. .. you never know when you might come across someone who is a psychopath or doesn't take kindly to being stalked and might go "postal" ... pick your battles more carefully. Being a forum owner doesn't give you any special power. I'm assuming your stalker will read this thread and see this post thus my posting it.

I suggest you not make up scenerios in your head that may or may not be true. Pretend this person doesn't exist and ignore them unless they actually track you down in real life, that's what a CCW is for.

Old 12-11-2016, 03:19 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,754,623 times
Being followed on the internet? Get off the internet.

Old 12-11-2016, 05:00 AM

432 posts, read 343,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Being followed on the internet? Get off the internet.
It's my right to be on the internet. You can tell him not to stalk which is illegal.

EdX
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet