Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 02:07 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,550,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMN View Post
I'm not certain I completely understand what you are after, but I'm pretty sure Gmail offers this.

I have two separate gmail accounts. I had to set these up independently. But I can manage them from one account. So I'm always logged into 'myname1', but I have all emails from 'myname2' in that account as well. Additionally, when I create a new name to go out, I can choose to send it from either email address.

I'm sure you could add more than one even, and manage them all from one account. But again, each is a totally separate Gmail email address. They are not actually 'aliases', which could mean different display-names for one email address.
That might address the "need multiple addresses" issue, but Gmail is not secure and ad-free. I'm willing to pay in order to have more privacy.

I'm trying to decide between StartMail, ProtonMail, Hushmail, and Runbox.

I like the idea of keeping my own domain name so I will never lose my email address, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 08:26 AM

733 posts, read 761,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
That might address the "need multiple addresses" issue, but Gmail is not secure and ad-free. I'm willing to pay in order to have more privacy.

I'm trying to decide between StartMail, ProtonMail, Hushmail, and Runbox.

I like the idea of keeping my own domain name so I will never lose my email address, too.
You bring up some interesting points. Here's my thoughts.

Ad-free: True, Gmail is not ad-free. In Yahoo ads were very intrusive. Perhaps they were better in Yahoo Pro. I used to use the free Yahoo then switched to gmail years ago mainly because I hated the ads everywhere. I never notice the Gmail ads. They are pretty non-intrusive - text-only and formatted in their own section. Plus they are not even shown when viewing individual emails and your main inbox. I'd check it out if this is a big concern - it's a nice layout.

Own domain: you can use Gmail with your own domain. I'm not sure if this is free or not, but sounds like you are willing to pay anyway.

Secure: First off, to be clear, Gmail does offer good application security, with two-factor authentication, https, etc. But Gmail (and other free emails (Yahoo, Outlook/Hotmail)), and even most company emails) are not sending encrypted emails. It sounds like there are some plugins available if you wanted to do this with Gmail, but who know about these. If you truly want to send all your emails encrypted, then one of the services you mentioned sounds best. But do note that anyone you send an encrypted email to will not be able to read it, unless they have information from you do decrypt the content. So it may work for family or friends that you are willing to share key encryption information with, but will become a pain for anyone else you email.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Good point Harry, it didn't cross my mind. You are referring to DKIM and I'm not sure if that can be set up through the registrar alone or if they offer those services. SPF is another one, that should be sufficient and can be set up with registrar.

If this is an issue they do offer email only services where those options should be included.

https://www.namecheap.com/hosting/email.aspx

10 email boxes, $29/year. One thing to keep in mind about is the primary benefit of this is the same email address forever. If you find better deal with another registrar or the current registrar decides to no longer off the service you can just transfer the domain to someone that does.
Thanks for this... tonight I bought my domain (I got a really cool domain name ...I'm so excited!!) and signed up for the private email for free for 60 days.

I used their live chat to try to get an answer on this but the person didn't understand what I was asking, so I will see if you can help.

If I decide that after 60 days, I don't like their email (namecheap), will I be able to switch my domain to connect to another email provider such as StartMail, ProtonMail, Tutanota, etc (the ones that allow you to use a private domain)?

Last edited by KittenSparkles; 04-26-2018 at 07:43 PM..

Old 04-26-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks for this... tonight I bought my domain and signed up for the private email for free for 60 days.

I used their live chat to try to get an answer on this but the person didn't understand what I was asking, so I will see if you can help.

If I decide that after 60 days, I don't like their email (namecheap), will I be able to switch my domain to connect to another email provider such as StartMail, ProtonMail, Tutanota, etc (the ones that allow you to use a private domain)?
I haven't used any of those services. But once you own your own domain name, it's yours and I can't imagine a scenario where any of them could hold it hostage.

The only problem when you switch is you may lose the emails sent/received during that time. But if you use an option where you download the emails to your PC, then you'll have them.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:03 PM

Thanks Matt.

One more question- since I now own this domain, can I put a photo or something up on it? What happens if there is nothing there and someone googles "www.kittensparkles.com" or somehow lands on my page? Or does that require some other type of account/program/etc ... clearly I know nothing about this stuff, just figuring it out as I go along.

(my domain is NOT kittensparkles.com btw!!)

Old 04-27-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
can I put a photo or something up on it?
Can you? Absolutely, you can put anything you want on the website. But you sure don't have to.

Quote:
What happens if there is nothing there and someone lands on my page?
Nothing happens. Each browser handles it a bit differently, it will just be some kind of error. You can try it now - just go to kittensparkles.com (or whatever it is) and see what happens. Sometimes your domain provider has some kind of "parked page". There are plenty of domain names claimed that have no related website. You wouldn't ever need to do anything if you don't wish to.

Quote:
does that require some other type of account/program/etc
If you run a website, there are really two aspects to it. One, you have the domain name. Two, you have a website host, that you pay to host your website. These are two totally separate things, although many people use the same provider for both for convenience. But you could start with namespace hosting your website, then switch to godaddy, then to dreamhost, etc. It's a pain, but you could do it. Meanwhile, you could keep renewing your domain name with namespace each year. So the domain name and website host are separate.

You could just upload a picture of a sparkly kitten and be done, or you could create a full website. Or do nothing. All up to you.

Quote:
(my domain is NOT kittensparkles.com btw!!)
Too bad, sounds like a winner! I hear the internet has a thing for cats.

Old 04-27-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Too bad, sounds like a winner! I hear the internet has a thing for cats.
LOL - yeah, after I typed that I thought it would be a great domain name, but then it could lead people here to my posts on CD, and I don't want that.

Thanks for the explanation about website hosting vs. domains..now I get it.

Old 04-27-2018, 11:32 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Thanks Matt.

One more question- since I now own this domain, can I put a photo or something up on it?
You need hosting services for that, cheap hosting starts at about $5 a month and will include full email services for as many email accounts as you want. It's overkill unless you want to build a site.

Quote:
will I be able to switch my domain to connect to another email provider such as StartMail, ProtonMail, Tutanota, etc (the ones that allow you to use a private domain)?
You would not switch the domain registration from namecheap, in your control panel there is going to be setting for the DNS server and might look something like this:

ns1.namecheap.com
ns2.namecheap.com

The DNS services at ns1.namecheap.com are also included. That is going to have a list of entries for where to find various services for yourdomain.com. It will have MX record for the email, you would have to change that so it points to the new email service.

Quote:
What happens if there is nothing there and someone googles "www.kittensparkles.com" or somehow lands on my page?
The domain regiitrar will populate that DNS list and point it to a landing page on their servers, usually a "This Domain registered at namechaep.com or something like that. You may be able to customize it but it will be very limited. If you want to fully customize it you need hosting services and you can change the DNS entry to point to the correct server.

I know this sounds complex but it's not really.

Last edited by thecoalman; 04-27-2018 at 11:51 AM..

Old 04-27-2018, 11:48 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
The only problem when you switch is you may lose the emails sent/received during that time.
When you change the DNS record to point to a new service it can take up to 48 hours to propagate across the internet. In that time span email will be going to both servers. Suppose you have email hosted by godaddy and you are moving to another hosting service.

A few days prior to the Godaddy services expiring you would go to the new hosts control panel and set up the email accounts so it can start accepting those emails. You would go back to Godaddy account and for something simple like this with a handful of accounts set the email to forward to a Gmail account. You then change the DNS entry and within 48 hours all the email should be going to the new host. The email being sent to to the old host for that 48 hours will not get lost because it's forwarded to the Gmail account.

There is other ways to do this, for example instead of using mail.yourdomain.com in the email client you may be able to directly access it through the IP.

Old 04-27-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You need hosting services for that, cheap hosting starts at about $5 a month and will include full email services for as many email accounts as you want. It's overkill unless you want to build a site.

You would not switch the domain registration from namecheap, in your control panel there is going to be setting for the DNS server and might look something like this:

ns1.namecheap.com
ns2.namecheap.com

The DNS services at ns1.namecheap.com are also included. That is going to have a list of entries for where to find various services for yourdomain.com. It will have MX record for the email, you would have to change that so it points to the new email service.

I know this sounds complex but it's not really.
Thanks for your help!! I just looked around at a bunch of hosting options and I don't want to spend $60+ per year just to have a photo up, so I am just going to leave it parked by namecheap.

I am looking at the mail settings for my domain and these are the options they list:

- no email service
- email forwarding
- MXE record
- custom MX
- Private email (which is their email service)
- Gmail

Right now its currently set to Private Email (but I have not set up my account yet).

What is the difference between the MXE record and the custom MX?

The email provider I am most strongly considering right now is Tutanota. Here is their page explaining how to set up their email with a custom domain. Their page says "This activation process is only successful if you have configured your MX and SPF records for your domain correctly" - is the MX in the custom MX section in that list above? What about SPF? I have never heard of that before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet