Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2008, 07:24 PM

965 posts, read 4,501,069 times

Advertisements

I want to install Firefox, but before I do, I would like to ask a few questions.

I read the entire thread discussing IE versus Firefox and saw a link posted for downloading Firefox from a legitimate site, so I have that info already. Many, many thanks to the folks who participated in that discussion.

My questions are:

(1) Do I have to uninstall IE6 before installing Mozilla or can I just go ahead and download/install Firefox?

(2) Do I have to do anything in particular to my system before as well as after installing Firefox? Please tell me I don't have to mess in the registry or anything like that. Please!!!

(3) I want to be sure to get the version of Firefox that has the IE tab. I understand that Firefox does not work on all websites; however, if you have the version with the IE tab, you can open up IE and forge ahead.

I read the system requirements given by Firefox, and I seem to be okay in that regard:

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
IE6 browser
1 GB RAM
120 GB hard drive

Many thanks for any input that is given.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 07:30 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
1) & 2) : No, you can run both... and no registry settings to worry about... just download and click setup.

3) - that's an add-on (like java, flash, etc). You just need to download it and install it.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:22 PM

514 posts, read 1,669,803 times
Firefox is a very easy set up, download from their site and follow the prompts. You can even transfer your favorites from IE. Heres a link for IE view https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/35
You can also customize Firefox too, such as themes and many many add ons. Just go to tools / add ons. Also dont know how old the thread was that thread was that you read, but its been a long time since I have come across a site that FF didnt work with and I have been using it for many years.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:47 PM

Thanks so much for responding. You all are giving me hope that installing Firefox won't be a disaster.

This is the thread I read in its entirety about IE versus Firefox and using an IE tab:

//www.city-data.com/forum/scien...hlight=mozilla

It originated a little over one year ago, so the contents are somewhat old.

Again, thanks for the responses.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:55 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,593,481 times
I have used Firefox exclusively on my home PC without any problems, and until now, I had never heard about the IE tab. I have never needed it, but even if I found a site that I couldn't view with Firefox, I think I would just steer clear of it. I don't think it's right for website designers to create content that is IE specific, and I won't visit their sites if they do so. If I have a way to let them know this, I will do so, but like I said above, this hasn't happened to me since I've been using Firefox. It used to happen occasionally with older browsers, though.

As far as installation goes, all you need to do is download the installer, and run it to install the program. You don't need to get rid of IE, in case you want to use it again, and you don't need to edit the registry. Once it's installed, just double click the desktop icon, or start Firefox from the start menu, if you opted not to install the desktop icon. Remember, there are lots of add-ons you can add to it, if you so desire.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:01 AM

3,974 posts, read 5,167,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I have used Firefox exclusively on my home PC without any problems, and until now, I had never heard about the IE tab. I have never needed it, but even if I found a site that I couldn't view with Firefox, I think I would just steer clear of it. I don't think it's right for website designers to create content that is IE specific, and I won't visit their sites if they do so. If I have a way to let them know this, I will do so, but like I said above, this hasn't happened to me since I've been using Firefox. It used to happen occasionally with older browsers, though.
I have IE Tab installed on my Firefox browser. The only time I really use it is when I'm checking Windows Updates. Microsoft won't let you access it without ActiveX, which is turned off by default in Firefox.

I've found that some video streams work better in IE Tab than Firefox as well, especially if the videos are streamed in Windows Media Player. Some websites still cater exclusively to IE, but they are coming around to the fact Firefox is a major browser and are coding their sites to work with it.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:36 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
Thanks so much for responding. You all are giving me hope that installing Firefox won't be a disaster.
It was pretty painless as I recall. It will give you some options such as copying over your IE bookmarks and such. I don't remember exactly, but it didn't take long to download and set up. I have IE and Foxfire both installed and haven't had any problems. Keep IE, you might occasionally need it (especially if you get a virus and are running online scans).

Old 03-28-2008, 10:27 AM

Again, thanks to all who responded.

I won't have to mess with the registry or uninstall IE, and it sounds like I'll be given the option to save my "Favorites." Yay!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet