Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 05:23 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times

Advertisements

I don't have any problems getting relevant answers when searching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 07:09 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Noticed that too, but we have to stand strong against those that want to ruin the internet.

I can understand the frustration with ads on many sites but this how most sites support themselves. When you block all ads sites that do not bombard you ads and have a modest amount of ads are not getting paid for the services they are providing you. It's small and medium traffic sites that usually provide the best information and have a modest amount of ads. The alternative to ad networks is direct advertisers that can fly under the radar of ad blockers or subscription service. Many of these small and medium traffic sized sites are not in position to do either. It's these sites that are most likely to go screw it, I quit.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:08 PM

531 posts, read 452,982 times
The problem with junk search results seems to go in cycles. Remember "farmer" sites that had no real information? They were suppressed in the search results for a while, but apparently they are coming back.
If a webmaster has a problem with people blocking ads on his pages, all he has to do is make up the pages on the server side and send them out as HTML. The way adblockers work is by cancelling fetch commands in Java Script. So don't use scripts.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris View Post
If a webmaster has a problem with people blocking ads on his pages, all he has to do is make up the pages on the server side and send them out as HTML. The way adblockers work is by cancelling fetch commands in Java Script. So don't use scripts.

That's not workable with third part ad network like Adsense from Google. They provide a script. the ad network then knows what page is requesting the ad and a pretty good idea of who is requesting it. They can then serve the ad based on the content or the user viewing the page. One of the major things about this is they have plenty data to know what is legitimate ad traffic, the person paying for the ad doesn't want to be paying for bots(or even the competitor) viewing/clicking away. This alos gives the site publisher access to a huge amount of advertisers.

To serve the ad without a third party site publishers would have a very difficult if not impossible time determining legitimate traffic and could only offer flat fee that no national advertiser is going to touch on small or medium sized site. This could be very difficult to justify to any advertiser especially for small local business that may want to advertise on your site. The site publisher would also have to deal with advertisers directly severely limiting the ad inventory.

That's not to say it can't be done but it's not as simple as slapping an ad on a site if you want maximum benefit for both the advertiser and the site publisher.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:01 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I can understand the frustration with ads on many sites but this how most sites support themselves. When you block all ads sites ...
No one wants to block all ads ...
That is just disingenuous.
If you have a suggestion on how to block the Pop-Up's, Pop-Unders, Click-Bait, and other annoyances, without blocking the unobtrusive ads let us know.

Old 06-28-2019, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
No one wants to block all ads ...
That is just disingenuous.
If you have a suggestion on how to block the Pop-Up's, Pop-Unders, Click-Bait, and other annoyances, without blocking the unobtrusive ads let us know.

The adblockers allow you to whitelist sites but that requires user activation for each site so not very practical. You would first need to know it's unobtrusive site etc.

There is no easy solution for this. Sites that bombard you with ads are usually crap anyway, sites with moderate ads are where the good content is but they need that revenue.

Old 06-28-2019, 05:52 AM

1,625 posts, read 1,356,455 times
I use a good HOSTS file (and keep it updated) and the Firefox NoScript extension to disable scripts. I generally see very few, if any, ads.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:21 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
The adblockers allow you to whitelist sites but that requires user activation for each site so not very practical. You would first need to know it's unobtrusive site etc.

There is no easy solution for this. Sites that bombard you with ads are usually crap anyway, sites with moderate ads are where the good content is but they need that revenue.
There are sites that demand you disable the adblocker completely. They won’t work even with whitelisting. That’s what made me say no to any site that wants it disabled. If a site I want definitely doesn’t do obtrusive ads, I will whitelist it, but I will not completely disable my blocker.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
There are sites that demand you disable the adblocker completely. They won’t work even with whitelisting.

Most people can't be bothered with whitelisting. It's impractical and will never work. The other issue is you can have a lot of transient traffic on a site where someone may find a page useful but they are never coming back again. That will never be whitelisted and a huge part of your potential revenue stream is out of reach.

Point is adblockers are impacting sites across the board whether they are crap sites spewing ads or great sites with unobtrusive ads. Sites with a lot of good content that have seen their revenue stream dry up will find it hard to justify continuing without remedy for this issue.

Old 06-28-2019, 01:07 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Most people can't be bothered with whitelisting. It's impractical and will never work. The other issue is you can have a lot of transient traffic on a site where someone may find a page useful but they are never coming back again. That will never be whitelisted and a huge part of your potential revenue stream is out of reach.

Point is adblockers are impacting sites across the board whether they are crap sites spewing ads or great sites with unobtrusive ads. Sites with a lot of good content that have seen their revenue stream dry up will find it hard to justify continuing without remedy for this issue.
The remedy is not locking us out. The remedy is to prove to us that it is safe to disable it. At the current time, it's not safe. I would love to ditch the blocker, but it's just not safe to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet