Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 06:11 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,378,480 times

Advertisements

You know I really don't particularly like Wayfair anyway and I've never bought anything from them, so I'm just sending all their emails to the spam folder from now on. All they do is clutter up my email everyday. I'm not having trouble with any other sites so out they go. All I do on a computer is browsing and email, some streaming, not much with my data cap being what it is (100G). No big file transfers or anything like that. Updating is minimal with Linux. If I need to, I'll just reinstall the OS and go from scratch. I don't have anything worth backing up for anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 06:33 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
I got an email from wayfair advertising some specials they had going. When I clicked on one of the items I got this weird message:
To proceed, please verify that you are not a robot.

Why was I sent here?

Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network. This page checks to see if it's really you sending the requests and not a robot.

So what "unusual traffic" could they be referring to? I ran a virus check and no malware, plus I use a Linux OS so what do you think is going on? I've never bought anything from Wayfair, but I look at their email ads a lot and never got that notice before....weird.
How is that strange? Are you a new Internet user?
Some forms of CAPTCHA are used on the Internet since 2000.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:21 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
And, I got another email from Wayfair this morning and got that message again when I attempted to click on one of their links, this time from my hardwired desktop. However, if I go to Wayfairs site from a browser search and not from the email, I get in with no problems.

I didn't realize you were clicking link in an email. Just we are clear, you get a standard email form Wayfair advertising something. No indication of anything wrong and you clcik a link in the email which brings you to a page that indicates it thinks you are a a bot.

The very first thing I would ask is are you positive it's not a phishing email?

Old 07-15-2019, 07:24 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

It's pretty rare to see a captcha to open a page unless it's highly abused service like whois lookup.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

Linux user for over 20 years. This seems different from a CAPTCHA.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I didn't realize you were clicking link in an email. Just we are clear, you get a standard email form Wayfair advertising something. No indication of anything wrong and you clcik a link in the email which brings you to a page that indicates it thinks you are a a bot.

The very first thing I would ask is are you positive it's not a phishing email?

Yeah, I wondered if it might be a phishing expedition. I've been getting emails from Wayfair for over a year and this one two days ago is the only one with that notification. Whatever they're going to spam from now on.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:54 AM

104 posts, read 63,030 times
You are in vain so worried, I am often asked to enter captcha different sites, since there is a lot of traffic from one network. These are 2 PCs, four smartphones, 2 tablets, a total of 5 different users. This is the case in my home with the Internet. Look at the route of data transfer from user to server on the site wayfair host-tracker.com/InstantCheck/2/a3df70c9-a9a8-e911-bcce-0003ff7328cc/ I also advise you to carefully consider the email you received.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:26 PM

Thank you for your reply. I wasn't worried. I was curious because it wasn't like other captchas I've come across.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet