Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2019, 11:58 AM

1,487 posts, read 782,823 times

Advertisements

These ads are turning me postal. I am pissed off and fed up with the way they invade my games, my browsing, my everything. Is this what the repeal of net neutrality did? I've noticed big companies like Apple don't even give you an out to their ad. You have to watch all 30 seconds of it with no X marks the spot.
Is there any way to eliminate these things? They are going way too far now, interrupting my content. I will never download or purchase anything I see on these ads. Their desperation is sickening. If I want something, I'll find it for myself. Throwing something in my face turns me off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 12:22 PM

61,736 posts, read 87,172,581 times
They make money displaying ads. You can get a paid version of your games, and there wouldn't be any ads.
As for the rest of the Internet - yes, they are a pain in the... and just another way to make money.
But there are a few things you can do to reduce the number of ads:
use ad blocker
surf the net in Incognito mode
clean your history and cookies after each Internet session
know which websites will spam you with ads the most
download only ads from the store
enable Chrome's pop-up blocking feature
turn pop-ups and redirects off on your phone
regularly scan your computer for malware
do not open email from unknown senders and do not click on their inks
learn how to recognize fake news websites
reduce spam in your email inbox
turn off Google ads by opting out "Ads Personalization"

Search the Internet for more tips

Old 10-22-2019, 03:42 AM

1,487 posts, read 782,823 times
Thank you elnina. I subscribed to this thread just to save that info.

Old 10-27-2019, 01:15 PM

1,626 posts, read 1,357,397 times
You don't mention what platform(s) you are seeing ads on.

There are many ad-blockers available for phones, PCs, browsers, etc.

If you are being inundated with ads in your content, it's possible your system is infected with malware. If so, that would have to be corrected to remove the ads.

I see very few or no ads. I use a HOSTS file that blocks them, and I update it every couple of months. I also use Malwarebytes Premium to protect against malware.

Old 10-27-2019, 01:28 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,655,583 times
I have no idea whats available for phone or android tablet. But for basic PC browser (chrome/chromium and firefox), use Ghostery and Cookie-AutoDelete addons minimum. You can whitelist sites you trust if you so desire. Depending on browser and if it has internal way to stop autoplay, you may also need an HTML5 autoplay disabler. Those HTML5 video ads are embedded in webpage so you can only stop them running, cant completely eliminate them.

If you still have ads, you have malware. Hostsfile lists work sorta, but some use numerical addresses which bypasses hosts file.

Old 10-30-2019, 02:17 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,480,811 times
For browser on PC I use Ad Block Plus.

https://adblockplus.org/

Old 10-30-2019, 04:48 PM

3,439 posts, read 2,417,054 times
I use ublock for the PC and laptop. I don't browse the web on my cell phone, and most of my apps are store apps so I expect to see ads on those. I use my tablet mostly as an e-reader and alarm clock so I don't ever really see ads on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet