Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2020, 11:14 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,407,070 times

Advertisements

I’ve been a Facebook refusenik for years. But I finally joined today. Discussions around my favorite hobby migrated from listservs to Facebook about 5 years ago and just last week I finally realized I am missing too much.

I really do not like Facebook’s business model, value my privacy and do not want to be drawn into on-line drama, so my strategy is to simply join select birding groups so I can get the necessary information, but not collect “friends” or flesh out my profile.

However, I’m not sure this is working for me. One of the three groups I tried to join accepted me right away. I have heard nothing from the other two. Unfortunately, one of the ones I haven’t heard from is really the key group (the other two are more peripheral).

I know I am a good fit for these groups as I have been birding for many years and am definitely not a beginner. In fact, I am a real world acquaintance of the group moderator, and know a lot of people who know him well. But ... crickets ....

I checked online and saw that sometimes people are not accepted because they have new accounts or their profile is empty (both true in my case).

I really, really don’t want to post pictures of myself (not ugly, just a private person) and don’t want to concoct a “profile” or create some kind of simulacrum of a personality on-line.

So, do you think it would be acceptable just to email the group owner directly and ask him to let me in the group? Or do you think this would be weird and counter-productive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 12:22 PM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Email her\him. This is very common to keep trolls out. I run a city based group and only let people with a tie to the city join. A blank profile cannot provide proof that they live, work or grew up in the city. A simple email to me would suffice.

Old 12-15-2020, 07:12 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,407,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Email her\him. This is very common to keep trolls out. I run a city based group and only let people with a tie to the city join. A blank profile cannot provide proof that they live, work or grew up in the city. A simple email to me would suffice.
Thanks! I will do that ....

Old 12-15-2020, 07:18 PM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
Email is fine, I'm in a family descendant group, & my sister uses an alias on FB, so when she joined, I let the organizer know who it was so she could join.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet