Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 04:06 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times

Advertisements

Does anybody use the plugin for DuckDuckGo. I use DuckDuckGo for searches sometimes. It keeps bugging me to install their plugin. It sounds like it could be a good idea, but I'd like to hear how it works and what it does first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2021, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastiuqe View Post
I looked that up for you and it says this

"Microsoft Edge Installing Our Add-On DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials add-on: Changes your browser search engine to DuckDuckGo Search, along with other privacy benefits such as tracker blocking, encrypted website connections (where possible) and a privacy grade for each site you visit."

Sounds like a good one to add and see if the speed is affected....
Thanks. I will have to think about that one some more. DuckDuckGo doesn't have all the features that Google search does. So I'm not really ready for it to be my default search.

Old 07-16-2021, 04:41 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,354,061 times
The Undo Close Tab provides a list of the last 10 or so closed tabs. I could not find that functionality natively in Firefox. Does it exist without a plug-in?

Old 07-16-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
The Undo Close Tab provides a list of the last 10 or so closed tabs. I could not find that functionality natively in Firefox. Does it exist without a plug-in?
Options are Restore Previous Session: Reopens all windows and tabs from the previous session.
Recently Closed Tabs: Reopen any tab from the current session.
Recently Closed Windows: Reopen any window from the current session.

History Shows: Today, Yesterday, Last 7 days, previous months, and Older then 6 months. The oldest page in my Firefox history on this computer is the Welcome To Firefox page from the last time I installed Firefox, on February 12, 2014. So I have immediate access to any webpage I have visited in the last 7 years.

Old 07-16-2021, 03:20 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
For us old retired folks how do you get these plug ins? Do you just do a search then download and install what ever comes up? Any other “trivial” things that might not be obvious to the uninitiated? Gulp. Yeah I’m a dinosaur

Old 07-16-2021, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
For us old retired folks how do you get these plug ins? Do you just do a search then download and install what ever comes up? Any other “trivial” things that might not be obvious to the uninitiated? Gulp. Yeah I’m a dinosaur
What browser are you using?

It should be in your menu under Tools, Extensions, or Add-ons. Select that and it will show you what you have installed, give you an option to enable or disable them, or to get more.

At very least you should probably have Adblock Plus installed, unless you love looking at ads.

Old 07-16-2021, 03:48 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,163,440 times
Recipe Filter
AdBlock
AdBlock for YouTube
Acrobat Reader
Google Translate

Old 07-16-2021, 03:48 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
It seems that "plugins," "addons," and "extensions" are used interchangeably. Just to confuse us.

In Microsoft Edge, look at the top right of your screen where you will see "..."
Click ... it.

In the dropdown, you will see "Extensions."
Click "Extensions."
That will open a new window or tab.
At the bottom of that page, there is a button: "Get Extensions for Microsoft Edge."
Click that button.
That will take you to: https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/...-Home?hl=en-US

Or, just go to https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/...-Home?hl=en-US

You can search, pick and choose. But, Peregrine had a good point: Extensions/plugins may slow your computer down, so choose wisely.

In Firefox, go to the top right and click on the three bars.
That will open a dropdown where you will see "Addons and Themes."
Click "Addons and Themes."
That will take you to your "Addpns Manager."
You will see a list of addons you are using, if any. And, you will see "Recommended Extensions," and a button for "Find More Addons."
That last button will take you to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...re-link-bottom

Again, choose wisely.....

Old 07-16-2021, 04:04 PM

15,819 posts, read 6,527,022 times
* Ghostery
* Privacy Badger
* KB SSL Enforcer
* Rescroller

Old 07-16-2021, 04:14 PM

1,624 posts, read 1,354,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Options are Restore Previous Session: Reopens all windows and tabs from the previous session.
Recently Closed Tabs: Reopen any tab from the current session.
Recently Closed Windows: Reopen any window from the current session.

History Shows: Today, Yesterday, Last 7 days, previous months, and Older then 6 months. The oldest page in my Firefox history on this computer is the Welcome To Firefox page from the last time I installed Firefox, on February 12, 2014. So I have immediate access to any webpage I have visited in the last 7 years.

Oh, I see. I never used History. When I put the button in the toolbar and then clicked it, I see a list of the most recently closed tabs.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet