Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2021, 12:11 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,570,477 times

Advertisements

I know nothing more than what is at the first link. Chrome is my default on a Mac because I use Google Analytics, Drive, etc. I ditched the iPhone (which I much preferred), for syncing purposes. Safari and Firefox are my reserves. I've mucked about with DuckDuckGo etc. but never found a compelling reason. Certainly don't need Brave, but am nonetheless intrigued. Seems better for mobile. I'm unlikely to DL soon because I'm deep with Google, but would be interested to hear any opinions.

Quote:
The Brave browser is a competitor in the world of applications that give us access to the World Wide Web. It touts itself as “Three times faster than Chrome. Better privacy by default than Firefox. Uses 35% less battery on mobile.” As a privacy tool, it’s a dagger — maybe yet a small one — aimed at the heart of “adtech,” shorthand for Google, Facebook, and a number of companies operating in the background.

Out of the box, Brave blocks most ads and the trackers that come with them. It throws away cookies from sites other than the ones you visit. It makes your browser harder to recognize without cookies. It upgrades you to secure connections when available. And it blocks malicious code and sites. (It also writes blog posts; the preceding text of this paragraph is all lifted from this page.)

Brave also has a competing advertising ecosystem that aims to improve on the status quo in numerous ways. Brave presents users with advertisements in a relatively private and unobtrusive way, separate from the web-surfing experience and subject to user controls. Users of the Brave Rewards system receive a cryptocurrency called BAT, the Basic Attention Token, which they can pay out in tips to content creators. The browser also allocates BAT to sites that have drawn users’ attention
https://www.aei.org/technology-and-i...S3uryJnD195PRA

https://brave.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 10:05 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,713,440 times
It's good and costs you zero to try it.
You should.

Old 08-04-2021, 03:35 PM

23,603 posts, read 70,446,439 times
Brave on Android works pretty well. Second the opinion to try it.

Old 08-04-2021, 04:10 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,816,223 times
I have been using Brave on my phones for a few years. It's a bit frustrating that Brave on Android and iOS are different but that's due to limitations in the OS/ecosystem.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:36 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,570,477 times
Thanks guys!

Old 08-07-2021, 08:02 AM

666 posts, read 426,246 times
Quote:
Brave presents users with advertisements in a relatively private and unobtrusive way
Ha yeah "unobtrusive" and "private". How do people keep getting suckered into these things?

Let's take a look at some of other features Brave has:

• Brave sends telemetry data to p3a.brave.com, telemetry is enabled by default and users must actively opt-out. Of course, they don't tell you about this though.
  • Brave whitelists Facebook and Twitter tracking domains, among others.
  • Brave has been observed examining and modifying typed addresses as they are entered.
  • Brave frequently initiates connections to cloudflare and google domains, likely for things like "safe browsing" letting Google determine whether a page is "safe" to load in your browser window.

If I were selecting a web browser based on the criteria for privacy and respecting users, Brave would most certainly be stricken off the list of candidates.

Old 08-12-2021, 08:34 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,713,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
Ha yeah "unobtrusive" and "private". How do people keep getting suckered into these things?
Who is being suckered? Into what?
UsInG a BrOwSeR?!?!? Oh noes!

It's CLEARLY more privacy focused then nearly every browser.
You could do a LOT worse then using Brave.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/best-browser-for-privacy/

https://www.zdnet.com/article/brave-...-phoning-home/

Old 08-12-2021, 09:49 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
It's my main browser for personal use. We work on a lot of government websites, so Firefox works better for work (Brave's privacy features can cause issues with some sites, but not usually consumer-oriented ones), but I much prefer Brave.

Stats from the default page show some nifty info. These are the current numbers on one of my laptops. Each system tracks its own stats separately, so this is just a portion of what Brave has done for me.

Spoiler
Attached Thumbnails
New Browser, "Brave" Any Opinions?-untitled.png  

Old 08-12-2021, 10:58 AM

23,603 posts, read 70,446,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Who is being suckered? Into what?
UsInG a BrOwSeR?!?!? Oh noes!

It's CLEARLY more privacy focused then nearly every browser.
You could do a LOT worse then using Brave.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/best-browser-for-privacy/

https://www.zdnet.com/article/brave-...-phoning-home/
The problem (and it will get worse) is that increasing numbers of websites break when there is any serious attempt to stay completely private. Use TOR for a while and you begin to notice the limitations.

I use TOR, Brave, and an older FF. I have one computer dedicated to financial stuff that is powered off 99.5% of the time and has NO web presence other than to connect to the particular financial websites I use. It is not synched. If there is a breach, I can be darned sure it is not on my end. In some cases, I've reverted back to telephone to make payments and such. In some ways less secure, but too time consuming and too much work for those who hack.

Browsing here and elsewhere, the no-script and ad-block takes care of worst offenders, and just for grins I sometimes use Google to search for stuff like "Watermelons in Space" "Best price on 100' yachts in Florida" "How to care for live mink" and such. If someone is profiling me, might as well make it interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet