Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2021, 10:02 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,863,068 times

Advertisements

Anybody else having to deal with the obnoxious Alibaba Pop-Ups at random times?

Trying to help a friend remove it.

Who has been able to successfully remove it and how did you do it?

I did read up on how to do it but would like to know from others how they did it before I attempt to try several "fixes" that may not work...

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2021, 07:28 AM

666 posts, read 426,246 times
In browser or in your desktop environment? If these are appearing in your web browser, consider running a content blocker or simply disable javascript entirely, only enabling it for sites which actually need full interactivity.

Old 08-24-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
In browser or in your desktop environment? If these are appearing in your web browser, consider running a content blocker or simply disable javascript entirely, only enabling it for sites which actually need full interactivity.
Thank you.
They pop-up randomly when you either go to the browser or just once and a while when you are working looking at certain websites. (on-line buying)

OK, I will try to set him up that way... (disable javascript. The word "simply" caught my attention)

I am not quite sure what to do with the link you provided with the 'content blocker'?
Did you mean, to download that APP and then let it do what it is supposed to do (blocks certain processes in the browser?) Have you used that APP with success?

There are a few small APPS you can download, but often, these little "gems" cause more problems...

Old 08-24-2021, 07:46 PM

4,867 posts, read 4,811,151 times
This thread is just a few down the page.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/inte...s-chinese.html

Old 08-25-2021, 09:33 AM

666 posts, read 426,246 times
I am intentionally vague when I share solutions because I always try to encourage others to do self research and learning. But I will clarify in greater detail here.

The link I provided is to one of the more popular blockers, "uBlock Origin". Depending on the browser you use, the plugin should be available on the browser's associated addons repository. For example;
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/
Once this is installed, you can selectively enable or disable javascript on a per-site basis. Your shopping sites will likely need javascript in order to view item previews and to conduct any transactions. That is where you can use the advanced mode to block any requests from 3rd parties (for example, any domains which aren't associated with ebay.com).

Learning how to effectively use such a powerful tool will take some time, although once you've used it to begin controlling what sites are and are not allowed to run on your computer will make you wonder why you ever used the web the "normal way" before.

Old 08-25-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
I am intentionally vague when I share solutions because I always try to encourage others to do self research and learning. But I will clarify in greater detail here.
Learning how to effectively use such a powerful tool will take some time, although once you've used it to begin controlling what sites are and are not allowed to run on your computer will make you wonder why you ever used the web the "normal way" before.
OK, I understand. Thanks so much for the help.

I have installed it on my machine and have so far not seen any problems. That Chinese pop-up never appeared on my machine, so now I have to do it on his and see if it helps.

IR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet