Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 12:17 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times

Advertisements

It seems that Hotmail has been down for a couple of days already. I wonder what happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2021, 02:01 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Hotmail has been problematic in different ways in different areas for weeks now - maybe longer.

It's still up in my area and I don't recall losing it completely for a good while now. But for the last 2 weeks, maybe 3, it will not let Thunderbird delete messages from the server when downloaded as it is set to. And as it did for years of prior use. I fooled with it (both programs) for days trying to get to the bottom of what was causing it and finally just gave up....nothing worked. I have thus all but stopped using it. Switched City-Data over to my other e-mail provider.

And to think I once liked and thought highly of Microsoft.

Old 08-23-2021, 02:08 PM

828 posts, read 416,168 times
Mine has been working fine. Maybe just certain areas.

Good to know others still have the old hotmail

Had mine forever and still my main email. But I never run into anyone else still using it.

I even still use Outlook Express. Never could find a better one that was as simple and clean to use. Tried a few other but was never happy.

Actually MS discontinued their outlook express. I use a third party one "OE Classic pro " looks and works like the old MS version.

Old 08-23-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve19605 View Post
Mine has been working fine. Maybe just certain areas.

Good to know others still have the old hotmail

Had mine forever and still my main email. But I never run into anyone else still using it.

I even still use Outlook Express. Never could find a better one that was as simple and clean to use. Tried a few other but was never happy.

Actually MS discontinued their outlook express. I use a third party one "OE Classic pro " looks and works like the old MS version.
Yeah, I've been using Hotmail for a good 20 years, I'd say. Has had its moments, but has worked well for most of that time.

I loved Outlook Express and would still be using it if the hard drive on my XP system hadn't bitten the dust. OE Classic pro? If it runs on Windows 10, I'll have to look into it.

Old 08-23-2021, 03:38 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
???

I've had Hotmail since 2001. It hasn't gone down even once that I am aware of and I use it daily. It's not down now.

Hotmail.com is just a domain which is owned by Microsoft and is used for email obviously.

They also own live.com, outlook.com, msn.com, passport.com and passport.net. All of those are from Microsoft and function exactly the same. You can access them all from the outlook.com website (webmail) which functions a lot like outlook the email client. That may cause confusion for some.

The email client has nothing to do with the email service.

Old 08-23-2021, 04:22 PM

Good news! Just now Hotmail started working for me, but for two days I could not logon to it. According to the news, there has been some glitches at MS making the transition from Hotmail to "outlook.live.com." Anyway, it's working for me now, but if anybody wants to know what has been going on, please read it on the news (just be careful at the scammers trying to solve Liveview issues for you). Go to MS instead.

Last edited by RayinAK; 08-23-2021 at 04:52 PM..

Old 08-23-2021, 05:57 PM

828 posts, read 416,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Yeah, I've been using Hotmail for a good 20 years, I'd say. Has had its moments, but has worked well for most of that time.

I loved Outlook Express and would still be using it if the hard drive on my XP system hadn't bitten the dust. OE Classic pro? If it runs on Windows 10, I'll have to look into it.
Yes, it is also made for windows 10 . I have it on 2 PC's with win 10.

Also a note. It is about 24.00 for a 3 year license. But that is for multiple PC's and and updates.

I bought once many years ago and dont renew. Just means dont get any updates.

I usually look for free programs. But this seems to work faster and much cleaner and simple. But of course does more than old OE if you want it to. I keep it simple for my wife to use.

Old 08-23-2021, 08:55 PM

Quote:

Also a note. It is about 24.00 for a 3 year license. But that is for multiple PC's and and updates.

I usually look for free programs. But this seems to work faster and much cleaner and simple. But of course does more than old OE if you want it to. I keep it simple for my wife to use.
One thing I like about "hotmail" is the way it filters junk emails. Some non-junk emails are sometimes put in the "junk" folder, but one can easily scan through the junk and move the good ones out of there.

Old 08-24-2021, 04:58 AM

Quote:

I just downloaded and installed it.

Their website and license terms talk about an "evaluation" version, which the initial download evidently is. But I expected to see something about a limited time period or other limitation spelled out....and didn't. Just an option to "upgrade" to pro, but at this stage it's not clear to me why I would ever do that.

Here's my impression at this very earliest stage. Seems to work well, but so does Thunderbird. I'd say I prefer the look of OE Classic, but it's not a deal-breaker. Like Thunderbird, it does not delete messages from the Hotmail server despite being set to. This is a Hotmail issue that started for me 2-3 weeks ago.

OE Classic has no tray icon for new messages. Finally, in Thunderbird's new version 91, they fixed their tray icon so that it's colorful and prominently visible. They always had the icon, but for a year or 2 we suffered with a nearly indistinguishable lines-only tiny drawing. So a big win for Thunderbird on this point.

I'm going to dig deeper in evaluation for a while. Thanks for the info!

Last edited by CrownVic95; 08-24-2021 at 05:06 AM..

Old 08-24-2021, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Good news! Just now Hotmail started working for me, but for two days I could not logon to it. According to the news, there has been some glitches at MS making the transition from Hotmail to "outlook.live.com." Anyway, it's working for me now, but if anybody wants to know what has been going on, please read it on the news (just be careful at the scammers trying to solve Liveview issues for you). Go to MS instead.
Glad to hear it came back for you, Ray. I know the feeling as it has gone down for me and most other users - many times - over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet