Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2021, 05:29 PM

61,745 posts, read 87,194,708 times

Advertisements

Driving around town with Google Maps, you may have recently seen a notice on the display when you opened the app. Many users might glance over it and hit the OK button, but it’s actually an important update.

If you want to continue using Google Maps with turn-by-turn navigation, you must consent to Google collecting your driving habits, including where you go and how you got there. If that isn’t something you want to share, you must look elsewhere for directions.

https://www.komando.com/security-pri...-terms/805499/

You understand that your phone knows where you’re located.
Known as “Frequent Locations,” it keeps track of where you are and how long you stay there. It even knows where you live and work based on how long you’re there and the number of times you visit.
But there are eight hidden maps and trackers you can switch off.
https://www.komando.com/smartphones-...ng-you/543526/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2021, 09:59 PM

666 posts, read 426,246 times
openstreetmap.org . I have assembled my own GPS system using a USB GPS transceiver, and Navit. All free-libre software, nobody will be data harvesting my movements. lol good luck anyone still operating in the commercial Google/Apple/MS paradigm.

Old 09-05-2021, 03:04 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,252,541 times
Not all phones can keep track of your location and not all have frequent locations stored in memory. I have GPS turned off on my Google pixel and that includes 911 information. If I call 911, I have to give them my location verbally. However, they can triangulate via cell towers cause that is impossible to actually turn while the phone is on. But triangulation is not as accurate as GPS and in some cases, there might not be multiple towers to triangulate from. (When I lived in Moab, there was primarily one tower with an occasional connected to two (other being in Green River UT.)

I do admit to having a rather uniquely programmed Google pixel that was programmed by (shall I say) a third party.

However, I reference google maps on my laptop to plan out a trip, but I do not use google maps in my vehicles.

Old 09-06-2021, 05:11 AM

8,933 posts, read 4,660,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
... you must consent to Google collecting your driving habits, including where you go and how you got there. If that isn’t something you want to share, you must look elsewhere for directions.
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/ran...lly/1134143544
Quote:
The Rand McNally Road Atlas is the most trusted and best-selling atlas on the market. This updated 2021 edition contains maps of every U.S. state and Canadian province, an overview map of Mexico, and detailed inset maps of over 350 cities and 25 national parks. Road construction and conditions contact information for every state conveniently located above the maps. Contains mileage chart showing distances between 90 North American cities and national parks along with a driving times map.

Old 09-06-2021, 06:04 AM

43,315 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post

Map reading is a vanishing skill. Without GPS, a great many folks couldn't find their way to the grocery store and back.

Old 09-06-2021, 06:49 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,508,782 times
I'm much more concerned about the data aggregators who meld my financial data with everything else out there, then sell it off. That and all the info obtained in hacks.

Old 09-06-2021, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
I'm much more concerned about the data aggregators who meld my financial data with everything else out there, then sell it off. That and all the info obtained in hacks.
And that is exactly what Google (Alphabet) does.

Old 09-06-2021, 02:26 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,508,782 times
Quote:
Along with everyone else, so what's the beef?

Old 09-07-2021, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Along with everyone else, so what's the beef?
You do have a point. Almost every corporation, these days, is Big Sister.

Old 09-07-2021, 07:56 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,713,440 times
They are doing this to provide us with more Waze like directions. The data is anonymized and all they are using it strictly, for now , to provide us with RTT (Real Time Traffic).
This is going to help better route everyone. It's like what Waze does.
"Your current route has a delay, you should reroute this way: yes or no?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet