Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2021, 09:02 PM

166 posts, read 96,603 times

Advertisements

So yesterday, tried internet searches:
"Cadillac Escalade 2021"
"Want to buy a Cadillac Escalade"
"Just ordered Cadillace Escalade"
"Buying 2021 Cadillace Escalade with cash"

Tonight: New TV ad for Cadillac

Successful in bumping into luxury car category

(Never had Cadillac commercial; trying to get rid of other category of harassing ads)

Did same w/Lincoln Navigator; a Lincoln ad appeared in minutes

Last edited by Brightsider; 11-25-2021 at 09:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2021, 08:37 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,708,993 times
"Tonight: New TV ad for Cadillac"

What do you mean by "TV Ad"? OTA TV? YouTube TV?

Old 11-29-2021, 03:53 PM

We're stuck with Comcast/Xfinity for TV & internet + own a smart tv. They have their own ad branch, Effective TV, and brag they don't/have never sold your data but they have an elaborate system to serve ads via census data and also purchase 3rd party data. People object to target ads which can be based on race, religion, income, health data. But most ISPs, apps, TVs in business of target ads.

Despite supposedly opting out of "interest based advertising" on google, Comcast, Sony TV, it's clear ISP is tracking/sharing info on every website visited + searches. Also lock down Microsoft as much as possible, block cookies, clear history, etc. Even using duck-duck-go, it's tracking every web page visited to build your own "advertising matrix." Per the article cited above; sometimes it takes 1 day for ad to appear but mostly I can manipulate by searching, for example, a luxury car and get an instant TV ad. I added Mercedes as well and get instant ad. Now in evenings we're getting all luxury car ads competing against each other (have never searched this category).

Since reading in depth about TV privacy, now suddenly receiving multiple Facebook TV ads focused on privacy. So it's about internet connectivity related to the ISP and 3rd party advertising firms building unique profile which I'm just testing/manipulating for fun. The TV also tracks OTA viewing unless disconnected from internet. Have tested other searches as well. Despite suggestions, not sure if a VPN can circumvent ISP. Recognize cross device and ultrasonic ad tracking is part of the picture and big business, but am simply trying to manipulate my data and experiment. And in response to OP "how can it be stopped," probably only going back to pre-internet days and paying in cash.

Old 12-02-2021, 01:46 PM

Here's a study that answers some of my questions. Analyzes network traffic from homes using Roku, Amazon Fire sticks and Android smart TVs. Shows advertising and traffic services, 3rd party trackers. Tests effectiveness of DNS blocklists in blocking ads and transmitting personally identifiable info. So the illusion of being able to reset your Advertising ID or opt out of interest-based advertising, whether via ISP, TV, etc. is because like your computer, your TV info is imprinted. Even if your service/app allows you to change your ID, 3rd party advertisers just rebuild your profile based on the other data they've collected transmitted by your TV (serial #, device id, location, etc.). I've supposedly opted out of all TV and internet interest-based advertising.

Every web page I click on via laptop is shared with TV and I receive interest-based ads that evening or immediately if laptop on. Not using any apps, sticks, or smart devices, just cable TV/internet provider. Even reading about privacy--getting more privacy TV ads daily--FB, Norton, Lifelock. I now prefer my luxury car ads even though never buying one. There are some additional measures am going to try and also continue manipulating ads which questions how effective this industry is.

Technical, worth a read. Click download to read whole study (Cornell site better than others citing this study).

The TV is Smart and Full of Trackers: Towards Understanding the Smart TV Advertising and Tracking Ecosystem
https://arxiv.org/abs/1911.03447

Here's their Youtube presentation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-Qt36TzD8s

Last edited by Brightsider; 12-02-2021 at 02:24 PM..

Old 12-07-2021, 06:17 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,202,217 times
Interesting. Seems out of control to me. If you search on a health condition, do you get ads about that as well? If so, I believe that would be a HIPAA violation as it protected health information (PHI). It is illegal to obtain that type of information and to disclose it and or sell it.

Old 12-08-2021, 07:08 AM

That would not be a HIPAA violation...

Old 12-08-2021, 08:26 AM

666 posts, read 425,890 times
Respect for that kind of thing went out the window a long time ago.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:18 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,717,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
That would not be a HIPAA violation...
So, so many people have no idea how HIPAA actually works...

Old 12-08-2021, 10:13 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
So, so many people have no idea how HIPAA actually works...

Fact. That is a fact.

Old 12-08-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightsider View Post
Every web page I click on via laptop is shared with TV and I receive interest-based ads that evening or immediately if laptop on. Not using any apps, sticks, or smart devices, just cable TV/internet provider. Even reading about privacy--getting more privacy TV ads daily--FB, Norton, Lifelock. I now prefer my luxury car ads even though never buying one. There are some additional measures am going to try and also continue manipulating ads which questions how effective this industry is.
This can only be true if you are using similar services. If you are logged into your Computer with your Google account and using Gmail and Chrome and then running YouTube TV on your TV.

I promise you Spectrum is not sending cable TV ads based on your computer search behavior. This is impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet