Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2022, 06:16 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what happened to this function? Beginning yesterday, no data appears and I've searched pretty thoroughly for an explanation....don't find it even mentioned anywhere.

It's a great resource and I've looked at it daily since it first appeared, which I'd say is going on 2 years now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2022, 07:39 PM

1,097 posts, read 646,821 times
I can choose the layer, but it doesn't show anything.

Old 05-21-2022, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
I see you revised your answer.

When I saw your original message in the email notification, I was thinking maybe it was a Firefox issue and I was primed to try different browser(s). But yeah, the layer button is there giving indication that the function is still there....but the screen just blanks of detail. If Google lost their data source, they ought to put something on the screen updating us as to what's going on and whether/when to expect a resolution.

Old 05-25-2022, 02:04 AM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Mine shows that:

You have to zoom in a bit.

Old 05-25-2022, 05:25 AM

1,097 posts, read 646,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Mine shows that:

Oh cool it works on my phone too. Still doesn't work on my laptop though.

Old 05-25-2022, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Mine shows that:

Thank you, elnina, that will help narrow it down a bit. So it works on mobile, but not on desktop. I use Firefox by default, so just tried Edge for comparison. No joy there either - no data.
Quote:
Oh cool it works on my phone too. Still doesn't work on my laptop though.
Nor mine - thanks for the update.

This is bizarre....that the function would be broken for days on computers and not a word from Google about it or any evidence on search that users are questioning it (as of yesterday, anyway).

Old 05-25-2022, 06:37 AM

elnina, would you be so kind as to post a screenshot showing data for SF Bay Area counties? I know there are other data sources....I just want to see what Google Maps shows.

Thanks so much.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:55 AM

Bulletin: It works using Pale Moon.

Now if I could only get Pale Moon to display CD correctly.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Bulletin: It works using Pale Moon.

Now if I could only get Pale Moon to display CD correctly.
Could not....and I exhausted all conceivable possibilities for the cause. This is just too weird - and somewhat off-topic....but I guess since it's my thread nobody will mind too much.

I have been dabbling with Pale Moon off and on for years. But there has always been something, some strange behavior, that has kept me from switching to it from Firefox.

Two or three years ago I was running it (Pale Moon) and doing something that made me want to display several tabs/apps across my wide screen monitor simultaneously. CD Forum was one of those tabs and I narrowed them all to fit as described.

When I was done, I reset all apps/sites to their original full screen size, like I had done many times over the years without a hint of any problem. But this time, using Pale Moon, CD would not reset - would not return to its normal size, stubbornly and steadfastly remained at about 25% width....no matter what I tried in attempt to reset it. No problem with any other site/app....just CD would not budge from it's new narrowness.

Trust me, I've tried everything....and this morning when I faced it again, I thought back and was sure that I had even uninstalled Pale Moon and reinstalled it....to no avail. Didn't make a damn bit of difference. And when I uninstall something, I've long known that leaving that task to the app is not good enough. You have to go into Windows Explorer, find and delete all of the many folders and files left by the uninstall app.

But this morning I was only 95% sure of my memory of uninstalling. So I did it again. And again went in and deleted every last tidbit of info left by the basic uninstall process. Reinstalled the brand new version of Pale Moon and CD is a 25% wide site as usual. Its status is as impenetrable as Gort's skin on 1951's The Day The Earth Stood Still.

There's gotta be an explanation, but I'm convinced I'll never find it without risking general havoc in my computer. Nope, I've done everything I can safely do.

Firefox remains my main browser, but now I've got Pale Moon for fully functional Google Maps. And it's full width, like every other (than CD) site.

Old 05-25-2022, 12:49 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Can't wait for the MonkeyPox map. Then, common flu map. Then people randomly coughing map, all the way to people who just farted map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet