Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 06:47 PM

666 posts, read 425,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
how is it NOT proprietary?
By strict dictionary definition, it definitely is.
A lot of people tend to forget that javascript is executable code. The javascript trap.

I do like how invidious handles their optional javascript licensing and source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2023, 07:50 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
I am not interested in the actual discussion with YAB but how is it NOT proprietary?
By strict dictionary definition, it definitely is.
Yes, by definition #1. From Webster: an owner. Relating to ownership.
That's not what YAB is referring to.
#2 : used, made, or marketed by one having the exclusive legal right.
To further define: A proprietary process is a manufacturing process that others are forbidden to use, and a proprietary trademark is a name that only the owner can use

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/proprietary

So of course the name is proprietary, but in the business definition of what is proprietary....
Proprietary as in Lightning Cables are proprietary. They only work on iPhone. Like iMessage. Proprietary. Only works on iPhone. Apple is very proprietary.
YouTube is NOT. If they were they would do things like: require you to use a video standard they made up. Or ONLY allow it on Android.

Old 02-25-2023, 05:48 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yes, by definition #1. From Webster: an owner. Relating to ownership.
That's not what YAB is referring to.
#2 : used, made, or marketed by one having the exclusive legal right.
To further define: A proprietary process is a manufacturing process that others are forbidden to use, and a proprietary trademark is a name that only the owner can use

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/proprietary

So of course the name is proprietary, but in the business definition of what is proprietary....
Proprietary as in Lightning Cables are proprietary. They only work on iPhone. Like iMessage. Proprietary. Only works on iPhone. Apple is very proprietary.
YouTube is NOT. If they were they would do things like: require you to use a video standard they made up. Or ONLY allow it on Android.
I knew the secondary meaning as well but I always assumed a proprietary product would require permission, license or membership in order to use it from a legal point of view.

Yes, YT is freely accessible but if any part of it uses 3rd-party code or non-free components from other companies, it does make it proprietary, or so I assumed.

I mean, there is that same concern with Linux/GNU OSes where even though a Linux distro can be technically free or opensource, if it is using any code or apps from a non-free source, I'd think it definitely creates a valid argument whether it is proprietary or not.

Maybe I am wrong or being a bonehead on this but I wanted to see if there was something I was missing or unaware of.

As far as politics go, I stay away from that altogether. Politics divided this whole so-called "united" nation in half already.

Old 02-27-2023, 07:25 AM

Quote:

As far as politics go, I stay away from that altogether.
We were a much better nation when the majority of us did this...

Old 03-03-2023, 05:23 PM

449 posts, read 283,088 times
Quote:
Tell me you're a "Trumper" without telling me.
Quote:
As far as politics go, I stay away from that altogether. Politics divided this whole so-called "united" nation in half already.

Quote:
@Peregrine Hypocrite much?

Old 03-06-2023, 07:43 AM

Because I called someone a "Trumper"? That's not really discussing politics now, is it?
@44echo: Exaggerate much?

Old 03-06-2023, 09:40 AM

666 posts, read 425,466 times
If you use youtube as a source of information, or more critically, your gateway to your perspective of reality (sadly, many do) then it should be pertinent to know that their censorship has become much like what we've seen historically with internet services in subjugated societies.

Quote:
YouTube censorship actually works a lot like Chinese Communist Party censorship: the rules are vague and the enforcement is arbitrary. They want to encourage you to self-censor because you don’t know where the red line is.

Old 03-06-2023, 10:09 AM

8,324 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Quote:
Because I called someone a "Trumper"? That's not really discussing politics now, is it?
Bringing up politics even by means of a joke would actually qualify as initiating a political discussion when there was none, which in some way, could be considered even worse.

That said;
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44echo View Post
@Peregrine Hypocrite much?
Quote:
44echo, he didn't exactly claim that he stayed away from politics.

Just by agreeing with what I said would not necessarily mean that he never discussed politics.

Also, based on what he wrote above, he was, quite possibly, including himself in that group of people who discussed politics but shouldn't.
Had he used "Americans" or "people" instead of "We" and "us", I might have felt the same way you did.

So, I don't believe it'd be fair to call someone out like that.

Old 03-06-2023, 10:53 AM

Quote:
You called someone a Trumper. Do you not think that causes division? Just like calling someone a lib-t@rd, or any other derogatory name to the other side? TurcoLoco mentioned that political division is harming our nation and you agreed. Yet you're still calling people Trumpers. Do you get the hypocrisy now?

Old 03-06-2023, 10:59 AM

Quote:
44echo, he didn't exactly claim that he stayed away from politics.

Just by agreeing with what I said would not necessarily mean that he never discussed politics.
I should've left out the first sentence that I quoted from you above. My comment was on the divide in our country, not about simply discussing politics. To call someone Trumper or any other derogatory political name, then say we used to be a better country....then look in the mirror and see where part of the problem is. I stand by my hypocrisy statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet