Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2023, 11:03 AM

1,921 posts, read 913,347 times

Advertisements

I've been here before reddit, and spent many years away, but in light of the API changes and also the negativity I've seen in many of the subs there, I've come back.

Anybody else? Or are there any other alternatives I haven't considered yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2023, 11:24 AM

2,057 posts, read 997,011 times
I still use reddit and the API issue frankly doesn't concern me given my level of use.
I'd be very, very hesitant to say reddit leads the pack on negativity...that said I suppose it depends on which of the 140,000 subs you're visiting.

Old 06-21-2023, 07:23 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,717,250 times
Just the entire way then owners of Reddit are cracking down...it's too much. I'm still there but much less. I am learning how to use Mastodon to get my Reddit fix. It's similar but different.

Old 06-21-2023, 07:47 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,483,762 times
I am not affected. I post there quite a bit. The changes they are making affect moderators, not users other than some of the subs are gone in protest. They will likely come back, something has to give.

I DO NOT belong to or post anything into political subs. In fact, I avoid politics like the plague.

It's so much more than politics.

Old 06-21-2023, 01:19 PM

Yes, I never go into any subs with politics or other highly combative subjects. I was mostly in TV show subs! LOL

Ever since coming back here I think I see what the issue was: the age of the people who were so negative. It was mostly younger people who were leaving such awful comments. If I went into their profile I could see their other activity and they had to be in their teens and 20s.

Here, it is a much more mature community so I won't be going back to reddit unless it's just to catch up with a few subs that actually would have decent discussions, like the Six Feet Under sub.

Old 06-21-2023, 01:25 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,296,324 times
Same - still on there daily. The change doesn't affect me.

And I'm basically in some cybersecurity, car, and sports subs as well as the ones for the local towns in my area.

Even the work related subs are very politically charged.... so I def. avoid. I happened onto the anti-work sub once... that was eye opening.

Old 06-22-2023, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I am not affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Same - still on there daily. The change doesn't affect me.
And this is why nothing is going to change. Not calling you guys out, but just saying, most people are truly oblivious to the bull**** Reddit is pulling right now. I see both sides of the issue but I am on the side of the users, and the moderators. And the way Reddit's CEO has handled the entire thing was so bad. Absolute s h i t show. Steve's treatment of the situation is the worst part and that alone is why I am leaving Reddit. Plenty of other places to get my fixes.

Old 06-23-2023, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
And this is why nothing is going to change. Not calling you guys out, but just saying, most people are truly oblivious to the bull**** Reddit is pulling right now. I see both sides of the issue but I am on the side of the users, and the moderators. And the way Reddit's CEO has handled the entire thing was so bad. Absolute s h i t show. Steve's treatment of the situation is the worst part and that alone is why I am leaving Reddit. Plenty of other places to get my fixes.

Agreed. I used the Android app RiF on my phone and it will now go away July 1st, along with every other third-party app, because they are now going to charge for API access. Apollo, the favorite Apple app, tried talking with them, and they even told a journalist that Apollo threatened him. Luckily the app's owner lives in Canada and recorded their entire conversation, and went public with it, which made Steve look even worse.

Sure, it was free before, and I totally agree with them wanting to charge the AI companies for accessing its data, but to also do it to the third-party apps is unfair. It would cost Apollo $20 million dollars a year. That's beyond ridiculous, it's disgusting. Not to mention, blind users can only access reddit through third-party apps. So now it cuts them completely off.

I'm pretty proud of the mods who closed their communities. They have been doing this for free since the beginning.

Last edited by clevergirl67; 06-23-2023 at 09:50 AM..

Old 06-23-2023, 09:32 AM

Yep, I use Joey and it's going to go away, too. Reddit did backtrack a little on the accessibility issue, though. ANd I agree, they are a business, of course it needs to make money. But just the way it has been handled? Absolutely awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet