Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2023, 05:32 PM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times

Advertisements

Why aren't you able to do the "forgot password" or "account recovery" procedures for Gmail on the desktop?
--------------- I've done that and got a dead end. Here I've tried again and put notes on all 6 images so you can follow the steps taken.

Image 3 shows the only "notifications" I can find on the phone since Google sent a notification - see image 2 and I was asked to tap yes on the notification and then tap 39.

The notification seen in #3 was accessed by dragging down the screen from the top. In that specific location there is a message that verifies that the password was changed back on 8/29.

#6 says wait for an email in 48 hours. I'll wait.
Attached Thumbnails
Where to find Google notifications for gmail login-untitled.pngdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd1111111111111111111111111111.jpg   Where to find Google notifications for gmail login-untitled.jpgdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd2222222222222222222222222222.jpg   Where to find Google notifications for gmail login-img635.jpgdddddddddddddddddddd33333333333333333333333333.jpg   Where to find Google notifications for gmail login-untitled.pngdddddddddddddddd4444444444444444444444.jpg   Where to find Google notifications for gmail login-untitled.jpgddddddddddddddddddddddd55555555555555555555555.jpg  

Where to find Google notifications for gmail login-untitled.jpgddddddddddddddddd6666666666666666666.jpg  

Last edited by howard555; 09-14-2023 at 05:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2023, 12:04 PM

And here is the result and this same thing happened last time. The recovery process is cancelled because we are logged into the account on the phone. I can't find a way to log out on the phone and can not find the notifications they send and I changed password on the phone August 29.

Gmail itself is confusing. When I see mail in Gmail I think email. Nothing else. Too bad Google didn't offer Google accounts and in that account you can access email and call it Gmail.
Attached Thumbnails
Where to find Google notifications for gmail login-untitled.jpgdddddddddddddddd7777777777777777777777777.jpg  

Old 09-15-2023, 02:11 PM

8,317 posts, read 13,444,568 times
Comments/Questions on the attached Photos - please provide responses in the same manner:
#1 So, the password you changed on the phone on 8/29 didn't work, so you clicked on "Forgot Password", correct?
Did you click on "Sho Password" before clicking on Next to confirm the password looked right?

#2 Assuming "Forgot Password" option was selected and you ended up here, email is correct and the phone listed looked correct as well?
Did you actually see the notification to tap "Yes" or not?
If you did and tapped YES, then what happened?

If you never received the notification, which I believe was the case, sometimes the notifications do get dropped or are very tardy for the first time around so have you tried clicking on "Resend it"?

If you do use the "Resend it" option, there is a chance you could end up receiving the first one first and again with a slightly less tardiness, the second (new) one a minute or so later. Have you actually done this?

#3 I typically wait for a minute or two at the most, if nothing was received (and assuming notifications were not disabled, muted, etc. I do the "Resend". If using Wi-Fi, make sure the one you're connected has a good signal. You might also want to power off the phone and then power it back on.

#4 Assuming you tried the "Resend it" option and for some odd reason the second one failed as well (after about 5 minutes of waiting), have you tried "I don't have my phone" option at all? If you haven't see what that yields.

#5 OK, this photo confused me a bit, you did receive a confirmation code. What was that for and assuming you received the on the phone, right? Did you get this code after you clicked on "Resend it" on #4 or something else? I am a bit confused how you got those codes yet not the notifications or am I missing something?

#6 Now you are on to "Account Recovery" which is different than login attempt/authentication. How did you get here?

#7 The notification of account recovery request being cancelled. Well, it is their rules. Again, I mentioned this multiple times, you CANNOT simply log out/off from Gmail on an Android phone, you have to remove the account: Settings > Accounts > (select the account) > Remove account.

Personally, if all else failed, I'd reset the phone after backing up whatever needed to be saved but it'd be a last resort.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 09-15-2023 at 02:24 PM..

Old 09-15-2023, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Comments/Questions on the attached Photos - please provide responses in the same manner:
#1 So, the password you changed on the phone on 8/29 didn't work, so you clicked on "Forgot Password", correct?
Did you click on "Sho Password" before clicking on Next to confirm the password looked right?

#2 Assuming "Forgot Password" option was selected and you ended up here, email is correct and the phone listed looked correct as well?
Did you actually see the notification to tap "Yes" or not?
If you did and tapped YES, then what happened?

If you never received the notification, which I believe was the case, sometimes the notifications do get dropped or are very tardy for the first time around so have you tried clicking on "Resend it"?

If you do use the "Resend it" option, there is a chance you could end up receiving the first one first and again with a slightly less tardiness, the second (new) one a minute or so later. Have you actually done this?
Yes forgot password and "show"
No never saw the notification to tap yes.

Here are two of the issues without going further.

I do not know where the notications are being stored on the phone.

I want to log out of the Gmail on the phone so I can do a fresh recovery.
Recovery is being cancalled because I'm logged in on another device. The phone.
-------
I waited the 48 hours and see image #7 for the result.

How to log out of Gmail on the phone? That should not be hidden.
I'd rather just log out and close the account and create another.

Where the notifications are and no way to log out of Gmail on the phone are the main problems encountered since day #one.

Old 09-15-2023, 02:54 PM

8,317 posts, read 13,444,568 times
OK, to see the notifications on Android:
Settings > Apps & Notifications (then you could tap on the "see all xx apps" link in the top section to have it show you the full list of app. Then on the list, location Gmail and select it then you can see the related info.

Here is what I am thinking that you should try before messing with anything else:
Change your password again and do it on the phone (for obvious reasons) but make sure you are on a good, secure network connection.

To change your password:
Settings > Google (services & Preferences) > Manage Your Google Account (You should get prompted to enter your existing password once) > Security (on top you will see column headers which you can slide left) > Password (scroll down) > Enter new Password and then confirmation (I believe it doesn't ask the current password again because it was already entered when accessing account earlier (probably that way during the same session?)

My best guess is (no offense) either your previous password reset didn't go thru because password didn't satisfy the new password requirements OR you didn't write down/recall the password correctly.

Best way to resolve and move on would be to reset the password on the phone as it is the only way to access your Google Account which encompasses Gmail, YouTube, Google Voice, etc.
The phone doesn't really hold on to your password once your account was authenticated during initial setup.
This is not so on a laptop or desktop whether you use a browser or a 3rd party app which typically can cache (save) the credentials.

Please pick a good 8-12 character password you never used before that has at least one special character/number/upper case letter. Now write it down.
Change your password on the phone and make sure it gives you a success confirmation. The synching on this change to the Google servers shouldn't take long but give it at least 5 minutes before you try to log on to Gmail on the desktop. Also, make sure to delete all browser cache/cookies/login sessions on the browser you are using.

Old 10-17-2023, 09:00 AM

I had previously changed the password on the phone and still no access on home computer.

This phone hides ongoing calls and someone directed me to drag the menu from the top and there you'll see the ongoing call to hang up, etc.

That drop down menu contained the notification that asked if it was me, yes, and then tap the number given. Back to computer gmail and for the first time it offered to change password. I did and here and good on both devices - computer and phone.

Last edited by howard555; 10-17-2023 at 09:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet