Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2023, 09:42 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,457,139 times

Advertisements

Despite most of the bunch of others complaining on their support forum, I do not use Alexa or Echo or the Amazon music app yet in the last 5 weeks or so, when I open the Amazon Music bookmark to listen to the free music channels, every so often I get this pop-up which very quickly disappears and I find out that my Amazon Music Unlimited subscription was activated and I got charged for it!

When I contacted customer service, they told me it might have been due to 1-click Pay setting. I checked and it was disabled.

This happened about half a dozen times. The first 4 times I didn't even knew it was active until weeks later. Contacted customer support, told them I never ordered or signed up, they would say "sorry, you can cancel it from the settings and we will credit you". The last week, this happened twice!

Once that popup comes up, it is game over. The "SIGN UP NOW" option was already highlighted so when the popup disappeared it was already done. The very last time it happened today, I wasn't even moving the cursor or clicking on anything. This has happened on multiple browser so it was clearly how the site was designed to behave. Since there seemed to be a lot of other people having similar issues, I realized Amazon was either doing this on purpose (scam!) or, if it was a glitch, they were not in a rush to fix it.

I have already deleted the Amazon Music bookmark. Just not worth the headache!

Anyone else had this issue recently?
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone Else Had Issues with Amazon Prime Music-amazon-unlimited-music-scam.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2023, 05:01 AM

1,097 posts, read 648,315 times
Seemingly unrelated, but we had company for a week and everyone was using the Echo to play music. Somehow we ended up with Amazon Music Unlimited. I suspect someone asked to play a specific song or artist. In that scenario, Amazon Music asks if you want to switch to Unlimited, because Unlimited is needed to do that. I'm sure Amazon is aware that 99% of the people who ask to play music "the wrong way" do not want to switch to Unlimited and pay extra.

Old 12-22-2023, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
Seemingly unrelated, but we had company for a week and everyone was using the Echo to play music. Somehow we ended up with Amazon Music Unlimited. I suspect someone asked to play a specific song or artist. In that scenario, Amazon Music asks if you want to switch to Unlimited, because Unlimited is needed to do that. I'm sure Amazon is aware that 99% of the people who ask to play music "the wrong way" do not want to switch to Unlimited and pay extra.
No, it is actually very much related. From all the related complaints, most of the unwanted/unknown switch seems to occur exactly that way, via a request thru Echo or Alexa. The switch thought announced, it is very subtle so most miss it.

From what I found, their paid music streaming is not making money so they might have resorted to such tricks but it is shady and annoying for sure.

Another group of complaints was about people who bought music (MP3) from Amazon, created a playlist and now they are not able to access some of the songs due to various reasons and in the process, Amazon again changes the account to paid subscription.

It all smells like dirty business tactics to revive a dying service.

Old 12-27-2023, 12:25 PM

512 posts, read 268,081 times
I don't doubt this happened to you. I suspect some sort of glitch rather than deliberation on their part. The whole Amazon "thing" is very complex, and programmers are human and imperfect. On the other hand, they should verify that someone really does want to pay extra for something.

"Anyone Else Had Issues with Amazon Prime Music ?" Not me. I don't stream music. I prefer to "have" music on my own devices, not dependent on an internet connection. I like to be able to edit the music, change the tags, organize it my way, and back it up. Before I had fast internet I simply bought music downloads and scheduled the downloads for 2:00 am so it would not count against my hard data limit.

But when I got fast fiber optics with no data limits, I paid for Amazon Music Unlimited and use third-party software to download the music. I don't share that music, it's just for my own personal use.

Now I only pay extra for stuff that Amazon does not have ( usually obscure Classical stuff ).

Old 12-28-2023, 01:05 PM

Same here, dozens and dozens of CDs converted to MP3 years ago plus a few dozen purchased over the last decade so I have more than enough music to listen to because of that I stopped using Amazon Music Free.
I don't shop there anywhere near as much either and now that they'll start including ads in their normally ad-free paid videos by the end of January 2024, I am definitely considering canceling my membership for good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet