Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2024, 09:14 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times

Advertisements

I refer to Census.gov a lot. Every visit finds some new yet familiar glitch or frustration.

An example: Today I was looking up different metro areas' income stats using Census Bureau Tables. This was successful (though balky and presented poorly). But then I tried to add national stats to the results. This took away all of the income data, leaving only population data. The criteria were still set to income.

There's never any explanation. Either some setting was wrong or it was a basic glitch. At least the site wasn't down, as it seems to be much too often.

I've complained several times. This used to be a quick form. Now, the "help" pop-up just gives you an email address.

The general answer the next day is "take our seminar."

I think tables should be accessible to the general public, without taking a class. Imagine being able to see a single spreadsheet with income data for all major metros. Or any kind of data, via an easy set of changable criteira.

Am I crazy? For this, not my eternal optimism that someday the Mariners might win a World Series?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2024, 09:36 AM

666 posts, read 422,523 times
Quote:
We're sorry but this website doesn't work properly without JavaScript enabled. Please enable it to continue.
Yes. Utter garbage.

But let's dive in a little bit more, shall we?

The table is served from an inline script. Other scripts are served with non-descript names, including two from Adobe. What is census.gov trying to do that can't be accomplished without Adobe? Just more soydevery on display.

They've exhaustively recreated a pseudo spreadsheet program as a web app. What could possibly go wrong?

Quote:
Something went wrong
Sorry, we're having some issues trying to get the table you're looking for. Please try to refresh the page or try searching again.
Oh. Of course. lmao

It would seem that the information cannot be loaded without scripts from assets.adobetm.com. A shame they do not make the information accessible as downloadable files in a ISO ratified open format, as it should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet