Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2024, 07:19 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times

Advertisements

Interesting, wide-ranging article by Akash Kapur. I hadn't run into this breakdown of three differing views/philosophies of the internet.

The Search for a New and Better Internet
Can the Internet Be Governed?
Amid worries about what Big Tech is doing to our privacy, politics, and psyches, many stakeholders—from activists to technocrats—are calling for a new rule book.

“Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind,” the manifesto began. “On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no sovereignty where we gather.”
In “Digital Empires,” Bradford tries valiantly to impose some coherence on this distended terrain. She considers the efflorescence of Internet laws as part of a wider struggle for global power in an emerging multipolar world. As she sees it, the disparate strands of lawmaking can be grouped into three regulatory regimes, or competing “digital empires.” Despite some recent shifts, the U.S. continues largely to advocate for the Internet’s original “market-driven model”; China’s “state-driven model” represents a transposition of its general authoritarianism to the online realm; and the E.U.’s “rights-driven model” seeks to chart something of a middle way, more proactive and risk-averse than America’s but also more mindful of privacy and individual rights than China’s. Each approach corresponds, broadly, to a different calibration between the countervailing powers of nation-state and private enterprise.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...et-be-governed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 09:06 AM

666 posts, read 422,523 times
Allow me to translate:

"Depending on where you live, your rights will be stamped out by an American boot, a Chinese boot or a European boot. In order to protect you from the other boots, we will need to press down on your neck harder with laws of our own flavoring. Please, whatever you do, don't discuss or even think about ways to circumvent the oppression in a self determined way using technical solutions that exist outside the reach of lawbooks and batons. Thanks for reading the New Yorker, citizen. Now move along."

Old 03-12-2024, 04:12 PM

8,923 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
Allow me to translate:

"Depending on where you live, your rights will be stamped out by an American boot, a Chinese boot or a European boot. In order to protect you from the other boots, we will need to press down on your neck harder with laws of our own flavoring. Please, whatever you do, don't discuss or even think about ways to circumvent the oppression in a self determined way using technical solutions that exist outside the reach of lawbooks and batons. Thanks for reading the New Yorker, citizen. Now move along."

Interesting way of looking at the issue, and not inaccurate.

Old 03-13-2024, 10:28 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
This isn't exactly on topic, but one thing that does bother me about the world wide web is the tons of totally outdated stuff you sometimes have to sift through. And I don't have a solution. But once on the web, everything seems to stay there forever (literally).

Old 03-13-2024, 01:21 PM

The Net, as it lives today, has a plethora of problems. Most caused be a confluence of search engine optimization, wok ism virus trying to assert itself through search engine algorithms, aggressive ad revenue enhancement techniques, and everyone trying to reinvent HTML to suit their own development ideas.

One of my biggest problems is with tons of new articles (all copies of the same garbage) covering up the good and real information that was on the net until some dimwit decided to use a variant of that information to show how stupid they are.

In general, most search engines cannot (or don't bother with) tell how old an articular is.
And they carry ads that don't even make sense.

I look up "monkey pox" and get ads like:
"We have Monkey Pox! Save 40% on your next order of Monkey Pox! "

Old 03-18-2024, 12:41 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
The internet was so great back in the late 90's and early 2000's. Whatever you needed to search for, you could easily find. Needed a gif of WWE wrestlers in the vein of Southpark characters, search for WWE+southpark.

Nowadays, the internet is so commercialized that it's just all junk. Honestly, besides this place, I'll go to Amazon, YouTube, and Twitter and that's about it.

Old 03-21-2024, 10:22 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
I generally go wherever my ad-blocker is effective. Wikipedia, newspapers, topical bulletin boards, YouTube (with an anti-blocker-blocker)...

Old 03-21-2024, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
The internet was so great back in the late 90's and early 2000's. Whatever you needed to search for, you could easily find. Needed a gif of WWE wrestlers in the vein of Southpark characters, search for WWE+southpark.

Nowadays, the internet is so commercialized that it's just all junk. Honestly, besides this place, I'll go to Amazon, YouTube, and Twitter and that's about it.
I don't go around twitter (might in the future, just haven't had time), but I like several of the old style text based forums, like this one. Unfortunately, the apparent subversion of Google has broken the search function on several of them, since they route their searches through Google.

I have often said that our tech world peaked around 2007.
After that, most technological "advances" worked to make things worse.

Old 03-21-2024, 07:18 PM

666 posts, read 422,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I have often said that our tech world peaked around 2007.
After that, most technological "advances" worked to make things worse.
Give or take a year or two, but I generally agree. Different things had crescendoed at different times.

And not to always be the cynic, I will say that we're currently living through a golden age of ad blocking countermeasures. It's just so easy to keep adtech crap off your screen, I'm genuinely shocked that the industry hasn't yet come down harder on users who enjoy "too much freedom".

Old 03-21-2024, 11:05 PM

15,819 posts, read 6,527,022 times
It seems like we're heading for a dual band internet: one for identification and data transmission, and the second, independent network for security validation. We're getting there now with dual factor authentication, but it's still a clumsy process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet