Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2024, 09:35 AM

10,637 posts, read 12,198,924 times

Advertisements

What satellite service or equipment will help for strong Internet demands working in RV??

A friend is a TV producer who desperately needs to work on the road in her RV.

She needs a lot of bandwidth (I think they call it), a very strong dependable Internet signal.
Her work entails uploading large audio - and video - files.

She's been working from home .....and now is in a situation where she really needs to travel and still work.

They have paid for a satellite service -- and just took their first "test" road trip to rural CT, and the signal was not strong enough for the work demands.

The next trip is planned for Austin,TX....... then Arizona (near the Grand Canyon).

Her husband is a tech guy so he can make something work, if they can get the right equipment and satellite service.

Help, please.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2024, 10:14 AM

23,678 posts, read 24,237,517 times
AT&T, T Mobile and Verizon offer “fixed wireless internet” which offers internet through their 4G & 5G wireless networks. I’m not sure what the service stipulations are, that is, if the user is allowed to use the service while mobile. They may allow the user to only use the service at the subscriber address. Check with the carrier. It is possible that other providers may offer this service also.

We have used the T Mobile service since June 2021 with very solid results and reliability. Your mileage may vary.

Description::

https://www.upwardbroadband.com/what...less-internet/

Last edited by ccm123; 05-19-2024 at 10:38 AM..

Old 05-19-2024, 10:56 AM

7,536 posts, read 13,703,639 times
Do they need a good connection while on the road, or just when they have stopped as needed ?

Old 05-19-2024, 12:20 PM

1,140 posts, read 672,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
What satellite service or equipment will help for strong Internet demands working in RV??
If/when wifi is not an option, Starlink Roam is pretty much it. It ain't cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
AT&T, T Mobile and Verizon offer “fixed wireless internet” which offers internet through their 4G & 5G wireless networks.[/url]
Can't use it on the road, and (even if you could) coverage is limited. They provide regular cell service for mobile use.

Last edited by akrausz; 05-19-2024 at 01:18 PM..

Old 05-19-2024, 07:13 PM

10,637 posts, read 12,198,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Do they need a good connection while on the road, or just when they have stopped as needed ?
Ideally they'd rather be able to keep driving while she works.

IF the absolutely ONLY way is for them to be parked the 9 hours a day she works, then so be it.
But that's the last resort.

Old 05-20-2024, 08:03 AM

16,594 posts, read 19,811,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
If/when wifi is not an option, Starlink Roam is pretty much it. It ain't cheap.

This is the only good option. She's a TV producer, she can afford it.

Old 05-20-2024, 09:10 AM

8,130 posts, read 12,867,938 times
I have Starlink residential and I am seeing 100mbps up/30mbps down. Latency is about 30-40ms. It is the ONLY service I can see working in this situation.

I used to use Verizon 4g for the internet. You have to be close to a tower for it to work well. The maximum I ever saw was 12mbps down/4 mbps up. The data cap was 100 gb.

Old 05-20-2024, 09:56 AM

5,122 posts, read 6,135,383 times
I was surprised how bad connectivity was during a recent road trip down the southeast coast. We were driving from Washington DC down to Wilmington NC then to Charleston and Savannah.

Once we got off Interstate 95 service dropped to one bar very quickly and soon to SOS mode.checking Email became difficult following any internet based conversation on social media became almost impossible. Even getting my audiobook to update from my library service became difficult. The only way one of my fellow travelers could work on some projects was download files when we were at McDonalds, Starbucks or other places with free WiFi then work offline til our next stop.

Every now and then service would pop up for a few moments but at 60+ mph it would disappear just as fast. Only in the Metro areas of Wilmington (acceptable) , Charleston (great), and Savannah (very good) di we have pretty consistent internet connectivity.

Folks in major metro areas have high expectations for internet connectivity. Those of us in outlying areas are more used to it popping in and out. Truly mobile internet capability is even more difficult. Even satellite radio tends to cut in and out as I drive through wooded areas or around mountains in central/western Maryland.

Old 05-20-2024, 10:11 AM

23,678 posts, read 24,237,517 times
According to this press release from T Mobile (dated April 2024), they are releasing a service which is for RV/camper mobile access on their 5G network. Called the “Away” plan.

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/networ...-plus-and-away

Your mileage may vary. I’ve never used our T Mobile Home Internet service in a mobile environment, only at home, so don’t know how the service performs in a mobile environment.

Old 05-20-2024, 10:44 AM

2,458 posts, read 3,232,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

A friend is a TV producer who desperately needs to work on the road in her RV.

She needs a lot of bandwidth (I think they call it), a very strong dependable Internet signal.
Her work entails uploading large audio - and video - files.

She's been working from home .....and now is in a situation where she really needs to travel and still work.

They have paid for a satellite service -- and just took their first "test" road trip to rural CT, and the signal was not strong enough for the work demands.

The next trip is planned for Austin,TX....... then Arizona (near the Grand Canyon).

Her husband is a tech guy so he can make something work, if they can get the right equipment and satellite service.

Help, please.
Thanks
One of the major problems is going to be the upload speed. Pretty much all of the consumer grade services are going to be asymmetrical. Uploading files is going to be exceptionally painful. Add in the desire to be mobile while doing it? Good luck with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet