Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 02:04 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

If you aren’t sure, you will soon be able to download a tool from Google that will tell you once and for all if they are. If ISP’s aren’t going to tell their users exactly what is happening with their network connections, Google wants to make sure that these people have the ability to tell for themselves.

Is your ISP throttling your network connection? | Googling Google | ZDNet.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 04:12 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,092,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
If you aren’t sure, you will soon be able to download a tool from Google that will tell you once and for all if they are. If ISP’s aren’t going to tell their users exactly what is happening with their network connections, Google wants to make sure that these people have the ability to tell for themselves.

Is your ISP throttling your network connection? | Googling Google | ZDNet.com
Hmmm. Interesting tool. Since I use Comcast at home, I'm gonna have to take a serious look at it when it's released. Thanks!

Old 06-16-2008, 07:00 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,134,583 times
Our speed was slower, until competition warmed up. They told us that if we agreed to keep their service for at least a year, they would increase our speed. I'm wondering if they are still "throttling" it.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:47 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,505,537 times
Throttling is more than just the maximum limit they place on your connection. Its an unfair, and illegal activity ISPs are using that flies in the face of the internet equality laws.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:11 PM

I know some services have different "levels" of service which have different price tags. Such information is usually posted on the ISP's website, though ours has no plans that I'm aware of. For information about Internet service you have to actually talk to a human being.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I know some services have different "levels" of service which have different price tags. Such information is usually posted on the ISP's website, though ours has no plans that I'm aware of. For information about Internet service you have to actually talk to a human being.
The 'levels' that come to mind straight off-hand are..

Enterprise service
and
Residential service

And as far as I'm aware... there is only one difference between the two on an ISP's level.

Enterprise never goes down.
Never ever ever. And if it does, you spend all of your time and energy fixing it until its up.

Residential can go down and be fixed as necessary. Some ISPs are better than others in getting techs out to your site, but they really do focus on the enterprise class customers.

In terms of data transfer... generally Voice and Video data is given a higher priority than normal traffic, then a bunch of other traffic is in between that data and at the bottom is generally P2P traffic.

However, that flies in the face of all net neutrality agreements.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:34 PM

Here is a bit of information on net neutrality. If anybody else is like me, I had never heard of the term before now.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Here is a bit of information on net neutrality. If anybody else is like me, I had never heard of the term before now.
The average, and even the above average user often have no need for the term.

It applies to people who's data is being throttled, or tampered with by any means.

I work for an ISP and am an avid proponent of P2P services. Thus, I have a fairly personal interest in ISP's throttling and net neutrality.

My ISP only assigns a higher priority for VoIP traffic and Video traffic, as we have customers that use both of these fairly heavily.

If any customer decides to max out their connection continously, we take no exception to it. We only call them if we notice that it has spiked from their normal usage. particularly our business customers max out their links 24/7, and have purchased links that handle precisely enough bandwidth.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:39 PM

I guess a download from MS of about 245 megs could be considered a wee spike...

Old 06-23-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I guess a download from MS of about 245 megs could be considered a wee spike...

245MB is chump change.

If you're using say... 500kbps (which is about what Pandora Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio, Find New Music uses to stream media from them)

And for some reason, all of a sudden your computer jumps up to using 2mbps (4x the original) for 24 hours, and you were using 500kbps for months... then, well, we're concerned.

But a single large file is just a drop in the bucket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet