Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 05:49 AM

43,305 posts, read 77,142,685 times

Advertisements

The comments to this article are unanimously derogatory to the issue raised:
Waiting for the internet meltdown - Times Online

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 11:23 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,134,583 times
I had read a similar news article a few days ago, but the problem it talked about was that our capacity to transmit information was increasing faster than we can build infrastructure to accommodate it.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:02 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,994,215 times
Switching to IPV6 looks like the only longterm solution, but I imagine it will take a while. IANA or someone should have started years ago working with the big IP holders on getting most of their computers behind NATs and trying to free up space, although I seriously doubt that would be a quick solution either.

Huge companies and universities were able to buy up huge chunks of IP blocks. I guess it is similar to the current oil situation. No one thought oil was ever going to run out or become scarce so everyone used it freely (I don't really have an opinion if oil is truly scarce or not, I'm just saying...) so IANA was letting everyone buy up IP blocks with more IP addresses than they would likely ever need. How many cubicle jockeys really need a legitimate public IP? Not many. Using NAT when feasible would have helped hold off the shortage for awhile longer while IPV6 was being rolled out.

Big communication companies aren't in a rush to lay out more infrastructure. That costs money and I think they are pretty happy right now screwing people with 50$/mo "high speed" internet running on old technology. Verizon seems to be the only company in the U.S. that is looking at long term solutions for their company and subscribers. They offer fiber optic connections to the home cheaper than my cable internet. Now that is being proactive.

Last edited by J Arp; 07-07-2008 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 07-07-2008, 12:31 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,292,770 times
Y2K........all over again.....

IPv6 is already supported by most core network systems. Its just a matter of implementing it (most network admins have little clue about it even though its been around for over a decade). The US government has a mandate to migrate their core to IPv6 by this year (if I recall correctly). And I believe Lockheed is already on it......

Old 07-07-2008, 12:58 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,994,215 times
That whole implementing part is going to take a lot longer than flipping a light switch though. I bet the total of ipv6 accessible sites is easily under a hundred and I'm sure the bulk of those websites deal with *nix/oss, technology research...stuff a regular Joe wouldn't be interested in. I could see a lot of people using Teredo and 6to4 for awhile.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:30 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,505,537 times
Yeah, IPv6 equipment already exists, and ISPs and Cell Phone providers are making the switches necessary to implement IPv6.

Not only that, I believe that at various locations, until everything is switched over.. there will be some basic NAT equipment to allow IPv4 networks to talk to IPv6 networks.

So, don't worry... the big guys will move their equipment to IPv6, and Vista supports IPv6 by default, and you can install IPv6 on XP.

Its not a big deal. We'll all switch, and we'll be happy for... hopefully ever.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:51 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,134,583 times
Hmm, I was just reading about this IPv6 business. The name that popped up a few times --
Jun-ichiro "itojun" Hagino -- died at the early age of 37. He must've been big-time geek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet