Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 12:49 PM

445 posts, read 1,986,499 times

Advertisements

If i am using another computer to access my home computer remotely, which ip address is sent over the internet? If i am using the internet, via the remote connection, which ip address is displayed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 01:49 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,149,658 times
If you're using something like PCAnywhere, GoToMyPC, VNC, LogMeIn, etc., and you're browsing from within the remote control session, then the computer you're controlling is the one doing the browsing.

Why?

Old 11-02-2008, 02:02 PM

445 posts, read 1,986,499 times
so the ip address would be the computer that i am not physically at?

Old 11-02-2008, 07:05 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,508,902 times
If you are browsing from the desktop of the computer you're remoted into, then that IP will be shown. However, if you're doing illegal things, beware that many a hacker and anti-hacker can trace you all the way back to the computer you are at.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
If you are browsing from the desktop of the computer you're remoted into, then that IP will be shown. However, if you're doing illegal things, beware that many a hacker and anti-hacker can trace you all the way back to the computer you are at.
How?

Old 11-03-2008, 09:25 PM

712 posts, read 2,147,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa162 View Post
so the ip address would be the computer that i am not physically at?
Yes..

And if you want to be sure.. go to web pages like whatsmyipaddress.com or whatnot.. to prove it.. (within the remote session)

Old 11-03-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
How?
Its just a matter of tracing the datastream.

Depending on who it is and what access they have, they may be able to monitor your connections from your gateway, which would allow them to see the RDC port and trace that to its destination. NAT helps this, but even with that, you're not invincible.

Or, they could break in and look at it there. If your computer is connected to the net, it is not impregnable.

Remoting into a computer and doing things from there is an added security step, and will stop a large number of people from tracing you back but the skilled ones won't stop until they've verified that the attack really ends where they think it ends. And ISPs have a host of tools at their disposal to find out what you're doing. And, because of the Patriot Act, they have to do their best to comply with authorities in tracking down illegal activity.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
Its just a matter of tracing the datastream.

Depending on who it is and what access they have, they may be able to monitor your connections from your gateway, which would allow them to see the RDC port and trace that to its destination. NAT helps this, but even with that, you're not invincible.
Nonsense. The ONLY way they could trace it back in this fashion is if they're on the same logical network AND it's not switched AND you're not using a proxy service such as LogMeIn or GoToMyPC. In this case they could sniff the traffic, but even then, there's no guarantee that they're going to be able to determine the right IP.

Quote:
Or, they could break in and look at it there. If your computer is connected to the net, it is not impregnable.
This is about the only plausible possibility. If they're inside your machine, though, you've already lost the game.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:22 AM

I'm just saying its a possibility. Its a good security measure, yes. But its not bulletproof. Thats ALL I was trying to say.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:17 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,142,285 times
I once found a site that was just like the movies -- very slick graphics. I used it to track the location of an IP address that was posting bad stuff to a Wiki site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet