Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 10:15 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzou View Post
*cough* Do any of those *cough**cough* penis enlargement*cough**cough**cough**cough* things work???*cough**cough**cough**cough*
Don't know. Don't even have one to enlarge. Guess I will need to get the starter kit first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 10:19 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,395,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
Don't know. Don't even have one to enlarge. Guess I will need to get the starter kit first.
ROFL!

Well if you get all the information, just send it my way and I'll read about it. Maybe they have free samples too! What's the worst that could happen?

The worst thing I've ever heard from those types of medications is having extra long lasting hard ons... What's wrong with that? I guess I'll never know.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:24 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,733,418 times
Default How you get spam

The way you normally get spam is your email address appears in some form somewhere on the web or you have given it out in some manner. They have data mining software to find it.

Or one of the companies, peeps, etc sell it. Lot more of it going on than normally thought. Especially the ones like banks, credit card companies, etc. Any piece of paper with your information, they are going to sell it. Forget their claims. I can track where a number of sources got particular info.

Do not use Outlook Express it is a prime security threat, one way targeted to get you.

Set up various email account. Have one for just very private use. Never put it on any piece of paper, application, anywhere on the Web. You will get little or no spam. For very close friends only. Peeps you actually want to talk too.

Set up one account to just use. A general account, skim look at it when opened. Just dump the entire content everyday. Usually will not get too much if you set up the filters.

A good method is to have one account what is completely phony with nothing related to you. Use that one for places like ebay or public places on the web. Will get loaded with spam no matter what you do.

Another excellent practice is to set up a daily routine where you clean your computer. This includes cookies, all the temp files, etc. There is software to do this. Use a cookie manager to keep only the ones you need. Dump all the rest daily. Something like CCleaner will do most of the daily cleaning. Use a cleaner to get rid of MRU's. Something like SpyBot to immunize the PC. Those are all freebies. Plus you will get a lot of hard disk space back. Use Diskkeeper Lite to keep the hard drives defragged. Computer should last a long time. Usually the power supply will be the weak link.

This eliminates many of the ways they can try to track you and gather info. Lots of ways to data mine you. Clean the junk daily you will eliminate a lot of it.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:42 PM

The data mining software is very true I have lots of software like that, though I never use it for bad mind you. NEVER post your e-mail on a Web site.

Outlook you won't get spam for using it, but you could very well get viruses, hacked, and many other unpleasant things.

For all the software however, if you use products like Mozilla Thunderbird, Firefox, that will cut down immensely. Firefox does not use ActiveX controls so it is MUCH safer on the Internet than any Internet Explorer.

However Spy Bot will only immunize Internet Explorer, Javacools Spyware Blaster will do both Internet Explorer and Firefox, and it blocks a lot more. Spy bot is a good trojan hunter.

Windows comes with a utility like you're describing. Disk Cleanup and for being windows it does actually do a decent job. But CCleaner will work also.

The defragmenting, ONLY do that about once or twice a month at most.

A lot of people say once a week, that's a big no. If you like buying hard drives be my guest. Go right ahead and defrag once a week. But windows has a defrag program too, and it does quite well also.

But not just that, "persistent cookies" that pretty much suck. They won't go away until you delete them and some tools will miss them. For this you want a program like Grisofts anti-spyware or Lavasofts ad-aware. I also suggest you get the bazooka scanner, it scans for keyloggers. And those are very nasty.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:08 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,733,418 times
Default Use Diskeeper is the best.....

Quote:
The data mining software is very true I have lots of software like that, though I never use it for bad mind you. NEVER post your e-mail on a Web site.

Outlook you won't get spam for using it, but you could very well get viruses, hacked, and many other unpleasant things.

For all the software however, if you use products like Mozilla Thunderbird, Firefox, that will cut down immensely. Firefox does not use ActiveX controls so it is MUCH safer on the Internet than any Internet Explorer.

However Spy Bot will only immunize Internet Explorer, Javacools Spyware Blaster will do both Internet Explorer and Firefox, and it blocks a lot more. Spy bot is a good trojan hunter.

Windows comes with a utility like you're describing. Disk Cleanup and for being windows it does actually do a decent job. But CCleaner will work also.

The defragmenting, ONLY do that about once or twice a month at most.

A lot of people say once a week, that's a big no. If you like buying hard drives be my guest. Go right ahead and defrag once a week. But windows has a defrag program too, and it does quite well also.

But not just that, "persistent cookies" that pretty much suck. They won't go away until you delete them and some tools will miss them. For this you want a program like Grisofts anti-spyware or Lavasofts ad-aware. I also suggest you get the bazooka scanner, it scans for keyloggers. And those are very nasty.
Do not use that defrag utility with Windows, it takes forever. Use the Diskkeeper, it will defrag in a few minutes at most in background and you can be working on something else. Diskeeper will flag a drive when to run or you can do it auto, doing it based on time is a poor method. I let it flag at a few hundred sectors busted. You can not defrag too often with the proper software. In fact it prolongs drive life. Never had a drive fail once past the break in period.

CCleaner will get Index.Dat, don't think most other cleaners will. Ad-ware is good. Just about can't do to much cleaning. I am not a big believer in Registry cleaning. Usually do more harm than good. Repacking seems to have no benefit.

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/U...eper_Lite.html

MRU Blaster is also good

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/mrublaster.html

Old 04-15-2007, 11:15 PM

Actually if you defrag too much you will kill the drive. Who told you otherwise???

Because the extensive work the drive does when you defrag, forces the drives actuator arm to move and to read/write to sectors, and cluters at an usually high rate, and when you work in the background it's forcing it to multi-task much more than it usually would.

And last time I ran the one with windows it took about 5 minutes to defrag about 50 GB. It wasn't too bad. I don't use the gui defrag utility.

CCleaner can get rid of index.dat? How? It's locked unless you restart into safe mode.

Last edited by Ronzou; 04-15-2007 at 11:38 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-16-2007, 12:23 AM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,837 times
I have AVG anti virus, spybot, and other numerous things on here, everytime I take it in to get fixed he adds more crap but never tells me anything or when or how to use any of it??? Go figure, I must be smarter then what I give myself credit for.
I will try that in my outlook express, it wouldn't hurt, I do have a hotmail account, but it has been a while since I even checked it, and I wouldn't remember my password, lol. You all have been a big help!!!!!
I remember getting a lot of sexual things in my e-mail before, it was getting so bad that we had to change our e-mail account. It would not be good if my 12 year old went in and seen all of that. I will be working on trying to get this thing back to normal.
I forgot to add someone said to click on the volume thingy, well I don't have that on here no more, it used to be in my bottom right hand corner and it is gone, I guess he never put it back!!!! Any ideas???????? I have the mouse, AVG, and part of my fax,printer,and copier stop signals in my right bottom corner now. Yorkie

Old 04-16-2007, 12:32 AM

Start

Control Panel

Sounds and Audio Devices

Place volume icon in the taskbar

Click okay

Done

Old 04-16-2007, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
I have AVG anti virus, spybot, and other numerous things on here, everytime I take it in to get fixed he adds more crap but never tells me anything or when or how to use any of it??? Go figure, I must be smarter then what I give myself credit for.
I will try that in my outlook express, it wouldn't hurt, I do have a hotmail account, but it has been a while since I even checked it, and I wouldn't remember my password, lol. You all have been a big help!!!!!
I remember getting a lot of sexual things in my e-mail before, it was getting so bad that we had to change our e-mail account. It would not be good if my 12 year old went in and seen all of that. I will be working on trying to get this thing back to normal.
I forgot to add someone said to click on the volume thingy, well I don't have that on here no more, it used to be in my bottom right hand corner and it is gone, I guess he never put it back!!!! Any ideas???????? I have the mouse, AVG, and part of my fax,printer,and copier stop signals in my right bottom corner now. Yorkie
PC people are suppose to document all changes, and tell you everything they do. They are not suppose to install anything unless they ask you first. I'd kick him in the teeth.

Anywho, if you want I'll send you an invite for Gmail I have 250 invites left. :P

The best thing I could suggest is to actually use Thunderbird, it has real built in spam filters.

Last edited by Ronzou; 04-16-2007 at 12:36 AM.. Reason: No hyphen in Gmail

Old 04-16-2007, 01:13 AM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,837 times
Quote:
Start

Control Panel

Sounds and Audio Devices

Place volume icon in the taskbar

Click okay

Done

It won't let me click on the volume icon in taskbar?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet