Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 08:44 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,921 times

Advertisements

hi folks, first time in this part of the forum so bear with me.....

i am starting a potentially large website that will offer downloads via the site of visual content for vjs and djs. my question involves the vagaries of bandwith, webhosting and all that stuff, which i am completely new to.

i am building my site myself from dreamweaver, and i plan on making sure the host i chose will be able to grow with me. some sites offer unlimited bandwith and disk storage, but i am not sure what that actually means. does this mean ALL my content is hosted through this site? forgive me, i am REALLY new to this. i also plan on posting articles related to vjing, as well as free downloads and other links. what is the best method of going about this? i want visitors to be able to see the content and download it direct from site (hard copies are also an option).

any sites to recommend? i am looking at at least a potential terrabyte in hosting needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 05:36 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Reading these books will greatly benefit you:

Building Web Sites All-in-One For Dummies, 2nd Edition:Book Information - For Dummies

Amazon.com: web hosting for dummies

Weaving through Web Hosting Service Features - For Dummies

Old 08-04-2012, 07:46 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
Assuming that you are talking about allowing downloading of that TB of data, you won't get very far with the unlimited guys. While drive space and bandwidth is "unlimited", you don't have unlimited use of the CPU, RAM, DB, and other processes on the server, and you'll run out of those far before you serve a TB of data.

Unlimited is really a ploy to help sell folks that want to run a small website, but not worry about limits. Read the TOS and AUP on any of the unlimited hosts and you'll find usage rules that will be enforced if your site gets too big.

With that much content you're looking at a dedicated server for the entire site, or a combination of a good hosting plan (or VPS) and a content hosting service such as Amazon's S3 to handle tho downloadable content. There are positives and negatives to both, but neither are going to bet $10 or$ 15 a month.

It also sounds like you need a CMS, not a hand made site done with Dreamweaver. It will make managing the site far easier than opening Dreamweaver every time you want to add a new item or make a slight change. There are a bunch of good CMSs out there that will allow you to run your business, not try to build a web site.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:36 PM

8 posts, read 11,802 times
You could load your files for free somewhere like archive.org then develop a wordpress site using a media gallery plugin to organize your media files.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:48 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Check Web Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Hosting | InMotion Hosting

I've posted about them in the past and got good feedback from the OPs. This is a site that offers a lot of options (including dedicated servers) and is one that a client (Transcriptionist) has used for years. She has been exceeding pleased with the company. There was one glitch and it was handled immediately.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:13 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
some sites offer unlimited bandwith and disk storage, but i am not sure what that actually means. does this mean ALL my content is hosted through this site?
Yes, the bandwidth limits are for how many GB's of data you can serve, if someone downloads 10 100MB files that's 1 GB off you're limit. Same thing with the storage.

Having said that the "unlimited" part is smoke and mirrors, if you ever have to move onto more expensive hosting these limits are well defined for VPS and dedicated hosting plans because those customers are actually going to use it. Every host offers "unlimited bandwidth and storage" for starter plans so they all play the game..... it's just a marketing gimmick. They realize 99% of the sites on a server using these plans are going to use very little bandwidth and space so they offer these ridiculous amounts. Hidden within the TOS is going to be some vague language about processing power, these are where the real limits are.

Technically if you're building a site with just static HTML pages with links to files you should be able to serve a lot of people but static HTML is harder to maintain as it grows, is not dynamic and doesn't allow for a lot of interaction. If your that 1% that is really going to take advantage of the large limits with some big media files they are going to find an excuse to make you upgrade because of that vaguely worded provision about processing power even though serving static files doesn't require that much.

Most sites are using server side scripting, for example this forum is built on the PHP platform. If you want any kind interaction with your users you need to use server side scripting and that requires more processing power, much more than static HTML pages. If you're serving a lot of pages you'll need to upgrade again because of that vaguely worded provision about processing power.

In any event don't worry about it now. It takes a while to establish a site

Old 08-06-2012, 04:21 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,921 times
wow, this is a wealth of information to peruse. i truly thank everyone for their comments and info. it will all be deeply read and considered. reps to all!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet